Time break periods between lecture and tutorial (1 Viewer)

L

LaraB

melsc said:
so people actually eat in lectures?
i dunno what lectures Demandred has been in but that's certainly not the case in most of the lectures/seminar's i and friends have attended...

if you sleep - they do get the shits... if you talk in class - you may get told off or they'll be smart asses n try to catch you out by asking difficult questions... some lecturers are ok if you drink in class but most don't want you to eat.

You cannot eat in lecture calls - ie the auditorium at parra, not sure what it's called elsewhere..

yes they can't really kick you outa the lecture/seminar unless you're a real jerk and piss everyone off - i mean.. from what lecturers and students say, only a copmlete fuckwit gets kicked outa a class...

usually they'll just have a go at you and tell you to either be respectful or not come back next class... but they may ask you to leave that particular class

generally - tutes are more relaxed but lectures/seminars - don't expect to be greeted happily if you rock up to class and just drop off to sleep...

if you really don't want to be there - keep in mind most lectures aren't copmulsorary and most seminars you can have 2 off per semester so just take the day off and get notes from a friend.

oh and mobile phones - TURN EM OFF! before class if you have a bitchy teacher... if they're alright - make sure it's on silent.. but some lecturer's don't even like you having your phone on silent coz they notice the vibratin... most are pretty reasonable but make sure u check before class coz u don't wanan be known to the teacher in the 1st week because your phone started blasting out the Adam's family theme ring tone on full volume:p

spillargroove

HSC
I wouldn't want to be eating inside whilst in the lecture anyway but I think it would be reasonable for you to take a drink in. I noticed last year when we had our Careers Day and got the different booklets from the Universities, the USYD one; had a guy who was studying Arts/Laws and he said, "Head to German class, armed with wKafka in one hand and a large cafe mocha in the other." But looking at the USYD brochure got me thinking. The guys in there who tell about their timetable, it does seem they have 1-2 hours break in between class so they can eat something or go to the library to check email, etc.

Should I have scheduled my timetable with breaks like that? I've already registered but don't think it matters, I can go at the end of the day and we have to re-register for Spring so I'll know how it will feel

Last edited:
L

LaraB

spillargroove said:
I wouldn't want to be eating inside whilst in the lecture anyway but I think it would be reasonable for you to take a drink in. I noticed last year when we had our Careers Day and got the different booklets from the Universities, the USYD one; had a guy who was studying Arts/Laws and he said, "Head to German class, armed with wKafka in one hand and a large cafe mocha in the other." But looking at the USYD brochure got me thinking. The guys in there who tell about their timetable, it does seem they have 1-2 hours break in between class so they can eat something or go to the library to check email, etc.

Should I have scheduled my timetable with breaks like that? I've already registered but don't think it matters, I can go at the end of the day and we have to re-register for Spring so I'll know how it will feel
nah i wouldn't worry about it... if you're really worried - eat in tutes coz they seem more reasonable...

but i mean.. unless you have a 9-5 straight day ou should have a space to eat.. you don't need 2 hrs to eat... you'll find that you have just time to fill most days if you have too long a break

L

LaraB

natstar said:
Mobiles definelty piss teachers off lol. In one of my classes last semester the lecture made you get up in front of the class and sing your mobile phone tone to the rest of the class, if your phone went off. It was quite funny, becuase people's phones actually did go off and he wouldent continue the class until they had sung it. Even if their ringtone was a normal "ring ring". They had to sing "ring ring"
its' worse when they answer:p

Dr Nadine Campbell answers phones.. n she's so nice but she pretends to be all bitchy and rude to scare th person away - can be awkward if it's your boss or your mum or someone like that

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Oh dear better keep mine off...I might get things thrown at me with mine...

Its the same as school with mobiles though, only when teachers rang, if we paid them out we got in trouble :(

spillargroove

HSC
LaraB said:
nah i wouldn't worry about it... if you're really worried - eat in tutes coz they seem more reasonable...

but i mean.. unless you have a 9-5 straight day ou should have a space to eat.. you don't need 2 hrs to eat... you'll find that you have just time to fill most days if you have too long a break
Thanks LaraB. :) I know a bit how it feels in a Law Lecture though. I went to a Law seminar last year at USYD with other schools coming along. Yes, in a straight voice, "Turn off your mobile phones please. Don't talk please, I am speaking to you." It gradually became so boring, that's why I am not studying law aren't I? lol (thought I did study Legal at school which was good).

What about sipping your drink too loud? :D

L

LaraB

spillargroove said:
Thanks LaraB. :) I know a bit how it feels in a Law Lecture though. I went to a Law seminar last year at USYD with other schools coming along. Yes, in a straight voice, "Turn off your mobile phones please. Don't talk please, I am speaking to you." It gradually became so boring, that's why I am not studying law aren't I? lol (thought I did study Legal at school which was good).

What about sipping your drink too loud? :D

was that that stupid "Degree in a day" thing?

coz that sucked...

lol our school dominated though woot! coz our year advisore got the shits that only 15 places for the top students were allowed when since we were a selective school our top 100 were higher than a lot's top 15 :p... so we ended up with like 100+people...

the Media 'lecture' sucked coz the girls were so incompetent and there was some like.. Germaine Greerg reincarnate from some girls school there :p...

the law thing was alrite cept it was so not liek what uws classes are like... which makes me kinda glad i didn't go to usyd lol coz the lectures were pretty boring

spillargroove

HSC
Lol, yes it was the Degree in a Day (well I think so). The atmosphere got dull; we were at the back. Seriously, even the Legal teacher that came with us (she was the teacher of the other legal class), anyday, I would want her to teach us. She did for 1 term and it was great. Wasn't a stinking boring class, was motivating. At least my course will be very interesting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)