Time spent travelling to work (1 Viewer)

hannahxxx

HSC
K well I'm applying for jobs. I want to work around 15hrs per week and I'll be situated in North Ryde (doing a single degree).

Problem is that I'm seeing all these legal receptionist/library jobs that look great ($23 p/hr), however it'd take me about 1hr to get there. I don't have a car and I'm reliant on public transport.
Obviously I won't be able to apply for them, but how far away is too far away?

BlackDragon

HSC
It depends on how far you are prepared to go on a regular basis. I'd say half an hour (max) is fine. Anything more would get really annoying.

Its takes me four minutes on a bike to get to my work..

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
It takes me around 30-40 minutes to get to work in the city. However the pay is awesome. Best I think I could get for an 18 year old ($24.50) and I work as a casual paralegal at a really good law firm.

So I think it's worth it.

lilou

HSC
I'll be travelling about 15 minutes by bus plus 60 mins by train then a short walk...each way to work each day! (I rely on public transport too!)

I think it'll be ok...

hannahxxx

HSC
Tulipa said:
It takes me around 30-40 minutes to get to work in the city. However the pay is awesome. Best I think I could get for an 18 year old ($24.50) and I work as a casual paralegal at a really good law firm.

So I think it's worth it.
Could I ask how many hours you work per week? Just curious cos most of the ads I've seen don't talk about hours for those kinda positions.

Also does any1 know if studying on public transport is viable? Lol or is trying to study with rowdy teens in a crowded bus/train just a nice ideal?

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
Right now I'm fulltime and working four days, forty hours a week but we're really busy at the moment with a huge case. I'm just a casual working directly for the company instead of through an agency. I got the job because a family friend told me about it, I interviewed and got it.

It wasn't advertised and I'm not doing law.

kylie_robbo

Between 15 and 20 mins by car - there is no public transport - it is about 20kms... Right in the centre of town...

klh

HSC
55 mins by train to city town hall and a 15 min walk to the office for me. man, that is soo much time wasted...by car it might be more due ot traffic jams...

klh

HSC
you are really good..i hate doing work on the train...there no place to write comfortably or read..the seats are crap and thats why i cant do uni work on the train...i usually just listen ot radio/music and look out hte window.

fnkychk

HSC
N/A
it takes me an hour to travel to my main job, but i enjoy sitting on the bus because it's comfortable and mostly empty.

Good_riceZ

Go the Rabbitohs!
HSC
as long as you got a good stream of public transport options to get to work and back home

if you are going to rely on a bus that comes once a hour, that is worse than travelling 1.5hrs by trains which come every whenever

but saying that, if they are reliable, 1.5hrs is good for a nap here and there

pottsy44

HSC
i used to travel 2 hours each way when i worked in north sydney (bus/train/walk), i slept the whole time i was travelling lol, i have a good body clock i think.

my new is about 45mins by car, which is to blacktown.

alby

cool duckie
HSC
my main job is a 10-ish min walk to the station, 10min train ride, and a <5 min walk to the place
i occasionally do some work in sydney, which is at least 1.5hrs (usually 2+) to get to. mind you, i have (and still do) travelled more than that for things which i dont get paid for

Last edited:

!! CaR`JiE !!

cäяяoт ^^'
HSC
<10mins (fast paced)walk to Station, ~20mins to City/Central Station, <5mins walk to GJ work.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
well, i catch a bus, then a train, then another bus and then walk for 10 mins. So its about 1:40 hours .

but i am getting my car soon, so it will shorten the trip.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)