• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Timetable help (1 Viewer)

ragnarok

Inanimate Carbon Rod
HSC
Hello,

I am having much trouble understanding how the timetable actually works. We're told or rather recommended to construct one to bring on enrolment day, but I wanna try to get an understanding of it before I do something stupid :p

Anyway, I've decided to choose 24 credit points worth of core subjects for my first semester:

22107 Accounting for Business 6cp
79203 Business Law and Ethics 6cp
31060 Information Systems Principles 6cp
31061 Database Principles 6cp
(may change)

I've constructed my timetable and previewed it, however, I get tutorials and lectures all over the place - including night times which I don't want!

To my understanding from the timetable website, they say we only need to attend one of these tutorials. Is that right? I mean even though the core has say Tut, 01 to Tut, 20, do we only have to go to say Tut, 04 every week since the site says:

This example uses a tutorial, it could be lecture, tutorial, seminar, workshop etc. There are three instances of this tutorial, you attend either TUT 01 or TUT 02 or TUT 03 each week.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Your understanding is correct. The timetable website will show you ALL of the available classes from which you have to choose your classes. Usually it is one lecture and one tutorial or lab, however this can change depending on subjects. Basically, just look at what types of classes there are and choose from one. So if the timetable only has "Lecs" and "Tuts", then just pick one of each, or if it has a "Itl/Lab" as well, then you will need to choose one of those too.

As for the 'when', you will choose them at enrolment I believe. You have to enrol into the actual subjects first before you choose your classes, and you will do this at enrolment. Basically, UTS operates under a preference system now. So you basically select between 2-6 preferences for each subject (like which Lecs, Tuts and Labs you want) and then everyones preferences will be sorted and they will try their best to give you your first preference. After the sort, you can manually change your classes if you want.

So basically, before enrolment, have a look at http://timetable.uts.edu.au as ragnarok has done and pick out some class preferences that you would like to do. Also look at your handbook entry at http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au and plan out what subjects you would like to do in Autumn and Spring. You have to enrol for both semesters (you can change your Spring ones later if you wish).

For those doing BBus/BComp, you have to do 2 Business subjects and 2 Computing subjects per semester (to keep it in balance). I would also recommend following the standard program as laid out in the handbook, though you don't have to (as long as you do all your business and IT core subjects (the basic ones at least) in your first 2 years.

ragnarok

Inanimate Carbon Rod
HSC
Thanks muchly jasee.

I'm finally getting some where with this hehe :p

Oh and on http://it.uts.edu.au/enrolment/undergrad.html, it says:

All documentation you have been advised to bring in your letter of offer.
Uhh, what do they mean by letter of offer? The only thing I've recieved close to that is the UAC "Offer of Admission" letter, which tells me what I got into, and has a cut out part at the bottom. Other than that, there isn't anything from UTS I've recieved that has tells me what to bring (other than the websites).

And one last thing! (sorry :p)

Kind of relates to above. http://www.sau.uts.edu.au/enrolment/how_to/new/oncampus.html#bring_enrol

A print-out of your email confirmation of registration
Would it be cool if I just copy and pasted it into word, and then printed it out then, since this computer isn't networked to the main printer and I can't save the page due to security reasons I'd assume?

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
1. Yeh it doesn't really say much on there. Have a look at the new students section on http://www.sau.uts.edu.au/enrolment/ . There is a list there of stuff to bring (such as your TFN and so on). Just bring what it says on there, including your letter of offer.

2. That should be fine. I think they just want to see the text written on there. Not sure whats written in the e-mail (I'm guessing student ID, your enrolment session) and such. I think its more of a confirmation for them as well that you have accepted your offer online.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
You are required to choose classes for BOTH Autumn and Spring semesters. You can change your Spring ones before the start of Spring if things change.

You are not required, but it would make your enrolment day a lot faster if you did (otherwise you'll have to do it there). Basically, since you guys are also doing online enrolment this year, I believe you can come home and change it online if what you choose at enrolment is not good for you. Basically, you have to specify a number of preferences for what classes you would like for each subject, however I think you have a number of days or a week or so to make up your mind before the system closes and allocates your preferences.

So for now, decide what subjects you would like to do and get a rough idea on what times you would like as well, but as I said, you can change these after enrolment if you change your mind. Links are in the other post above.

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
And I'm assuming that if I try to construct a timetable and it says: "No activities are currently offered for this selection", that all shall be made clear on enrolment day.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Which subject is that? Usually that might occur if there are currently no classes scheduled for that subject (maybe because they are planning on not running it that semester or they want to wait and see how many students will do it).

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
It is for a Spring Semester Vis Comm subject: "85503 Researching Design Processes". And it's a core subject. But, I'm not that worried, since it's a Spring Semester thing. Now, if it was an Autumn one, I'd more slightly concerned.

ragnarok

Inanimate Carbon Rod
HSC
Ok, a few more questions just to clarify.

jasee said:
For those doing BBus/BComp, you have to do 2 Business subjects and 2 Computing subjects per semester (to keep it in balance). I would also recommend following the standard program as laid out in the handbook, though you don't have to (as long as you do all your business and IT core subjects (the basic ones at least) in your first 2 years.
So we should just pick in order the ones they have in/on the handbook as the example, and then of course deviate from it when decided our major/sub-major/electives?

Is it any easier (i.e. the subjects kind of flow on and help you understand them better, or is it just a matter of convenience)?

jasee said:
You are required to choose classes for BOTH Autumn and Spring semesters. You can change your Spring ones before the start of Spring if things change.
Should we place them on the same timetable or separately?

And can I ask you jasee, how many hours you had to attend when you started B Bus B Comp off?

According to the timetable, I get 10.5 hours per week - so I just want to make sure I haven't misread something or something like that.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Daemontreu said:
It is for a Spring Semester Vis Comm subject: "85503 Researching Design Processes". And it's a core subject. But, I'm not that worried, since it's a Spring Semester thing. Now, if it was an Autumn one, I'd more slightly concerned.
You'll have to ask about that when you go to enrol. I'm not too sure how the design subjects work.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
ragnarok said:
Ok, a few more questions just to clarify.

So we should just pick in order the ones they have in/on the handbook as the example, and then of course deviate from it when decided our major/sub-major/electives?

Is it any easier (i.e. the subjects kind of flow on and help you understand them better, or is it just a matter of convenience)?
It's up to you what order you want to do it in. The IT ones are fine, however the Business ones you have to do in a particular order as some are prerequisites for others. The timetables are planned based on the handbook plan (so they have more classes for that particular subject in that semester, or sometimes don't even offer it in the other semester) so you'll have to check the timetable for the times. Like for eg, one semester it might be running in the day time Autumn and the other might be night time in Spring, so you might want to watch out for that too. Also there'll be more places in the subject if you do it in the same semester as the plan. Also not to mention, if you have any friends doing the same course as you, you might want to do it in the same semester as them, and if you all follow the standard program it makes it easier.

Some of the IT subjects flow from one to the other. Like for example, doing Systems Modelling before Database Principles might help you a little (though not required). Also doing Information Systems Principles in your first semester will probably help you later on with any of the IT subjects.

ragnarok said:
Should we place them on the same timetable or separately?

And can I ask you jasee, how many hours you had to attend when you started B Bus B Comp off?

According to the timetable, I get 10.5 hours per week - so I just want to make sure I haven't misread something or something like that.
You have a different timetable for Autumn and Spring. They are different semesters which have different timetables, so yes they will be seperate timetables.

I personally didn't start in the BBus/BComp course, however I have done most of the subjects.

Your hours are probably correct. Each subject is usually 3 hours, so times 4 is around 12 hours a week. It can vary. Just look up the timetable and count the hours (so if the subject has a lec and tut then count that, or if it has a lec, tut and lab, then count all 3). Some subjects only run their tutorials every 2 weeks, like Marketing Foundations and Business Law and Ethics, though you'll have to check that on the timetable as it can change.

slinky

A Very Important Member
HSC
N/A
im a bit confuse as what the group Drp (drop in) is. i have it for business information systems along with tutorials and lectures. so if any one can help with what Drp (drop in) is, that would really be appreciated. thanku :) :)

smallcattle

HSC
slinky said:
im a bit confuse as what the group Drp (drop in) is. i have it for business information systems along with tutorials and lectures. so if any one can help with what Drp (drop in) is, that would really be appreciated. thanku :) :)
When u click info, it says attendance is not compulsory.. lol ..maybe it's not important

anywayz i got another question, say if i choose to go tut,1, will i be required 2 go to tut,1 for all the subjects for the remainning of the semester??

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
A Drop-In session is pretty much what the name implies. It means you can drop into that class if you need some extra help. As it says on the timetable, it is not compulsory usually and you don't need to enrol into one. They will let you know about these sessions in the lectures. They are there for extra help and a number of Business subjects in the first year have these (like Economics, Finance and Business Information Analysis).

As for choosing Tut1, you have to choose classes for EACH subject. So your tutorial for each subject can be different. If you choose Tut1 for subject X, then yes, you will have to go to Tut1 for subject X for the whole semester, however, you may choose Tut2 for subject Y, in which case you would go to Tut2 for subject Y. I hope that makes sense.

ragnarok

Inanimate Carbon Rod
HSC
Hey jasee,

I've taken your advice and followed the the handbook timetable they offer, which sounds goods in terms of the subject order. I'm happy with the Autumn semester times, but if I do follow that, all but one of the subjects in the Spring semester are at night time, or at least late afternoon.

So should I scrap what the handbook says?

It seems impossible (without entering like 10 billion different combinations for the timtable), to find a timetable with all day subjects..

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Yes, it will be hard to find daytime classes for some subjects unfortunately. What subject are you looking at which has night classes? If its late afternoon, then thats alright. They try their best to put the classes during the daytime, however sometimes its not possible, especially with smaller subjects.

ragnarok

Inanimate Carbon Rod
HSC
jasee said:
Yes, it will be hard to find daytime classes for some subjects unfortunately. What subject are you looking at which has night classes? If its late afternoon, then thats alright. They try their best to put the classes during the daytime, however sometimes its not possible, especially with smaller subjects.
The Handbooks Spring Semester Year 1 gives:

24108 Marketing Foundations 6cp
25115 Economics for Business 6cp
31424 Systems Modelling 6cp
31509 Computer Fundamentals 6cp

and given that I'm going with your suggestion, only Economics for Business has day classes.

Marketing Foundations has the earliest tutorial at 3pm which I don't mind at all, but then has only one 2 hour lecture which starts at 7pm and ending at 9. Also considering I live over an hours travel by train from city campus, its not too nice.

Computer Fundamentals also only has one lecture same time as Marketing Foundations, but this time the earliest tutorial is at 5pm.

Finally, Systems Modelling has a tutorial at 3:30 which again I don't mind at all, but the lecture begins at 6pm.

I'm just not wanting anything to begin past 6pm or so, and am having a hard time to find a way around it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)