Timetable question (1 Viewer)

Renegader

HSC
Hey guys,

I've searched the internet for an answer to my question but the answers seem to be conflicting - I'm just curious if tutorials do indeed revise the previous week's material so if this is the case it would be wise to put tutorials before lectures? By the way, I'm studying Commerce at UNSW.

For example, say I put a tutorial on Monday and the relevant lecture is on Wednesday. This means that when I have my first lecture (which is on the Wednesday, as tutorials don't run in the first week), on the following Monday in the tutorial Wednesday's material will be revised, whereas if I had the lecture on the Monday and the tutorial on the Wednesday I would be learning new content on the Monday while revising last week's material on the Wednesday in the tutorial.)

Sorry if it's a bit confusing, but is the way I explained it correct?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
It doesn't matter because the Week n tutorial revises the Week n-1 lectures. All of them.

And if your lecture is on Monday, and then your tute is on Wednesday - then it just means you'll learn new stuff on Monday before you get to revise the stuff you did the Monday before on the Wednesday.

ifrit112

HSC
To extend that response,

lectures start week 1 (end week 12), tutorials and labs start week 2, (end week 13).

That means in week 2 tute, you cover week 1 lecture,
in week 3 tute, you cover week 2 lectuer
week 13 tutorial, covers week 12 lecture.

D94

HSC
N/A
To clarify the above responses, not all tutorials and labs begin in week 2. Some begin in week 1, just like lectures. You should pay attention in your first lecture to see whether you have a tute/lab in your first week - even just looking at the class timetable is not sufficient because there may be extenuating circumstances that require a tutorial to be run on the first week.

For example, COMP1917 tends to run tutorials/labs in the first week because they generally have either a 1 week break from tutes/labs, and/or a public holiday clashes with a tute/lab. So to ensure everyone gets the same number of tutes, they run it during week 1 to avoid later problems.

hyphea

HSC
Is it better to have a tutorials and lectures closer together from your experiences?

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Is it better to have a tutorials and lectures closer together from your experiences?
better to have tutes at the end of the week, you can then get tips/answers/question from friends who did the quiz at the beginning of the week

ifrit112

HSC
Depends on the subject but yeah, there's not a lot of difference.

There are times when your lecture is more than a week ahead than your tutorial (eg: lecture on Tuesday, tutorial on thursday. So you do the current week lecture and then have a tutorial based on last week's lecture).

If there are mid sem tests or class tests, yeah a later tutorial/lab gives you more time to study and to get tips off your friends :)

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
If there are mid sem tests or class tests, yeah a later tutorial/lab gives you more time to study and to get tips off your friends :)
Yeah def put FINS1613 tut on Friday

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)