Timetables for first year! (1 Viewer)

mindelay

HSC
Hey guys. I'm trying to figure out all this timetable stuff in advance and I'd love some help!

I expect to do International Studies/Law at UNSW this year and major in Development Studies (do you choose that when you enrol?) and I'm not sure which subjects I even need to do each semester.

From what I understand, it's:
1 International Studies core
1 Development Studies core
1 Law subject
1 Language subject (since it's compulsory) ??

I've searched for languages (e.g. French) but it has so many options, like ARTS#### or FREN####. Which one would I do as part of International Studies? Do I get to do a French subject every semester? And I know there's a placement test for languages when you start uni, but what class do you enrol in for your timetable before you get 'placed'?

And which Law subjects would I have to do in first semester?

Sorry for all the questions guys! I just want to make sure I get a good timetable once enrolment starts, so I don't waste hours travelling to uni 5 days a week. :p

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
Hey guys. I'm trying to figure out all this timetable stuff in advance and I'd love some help!

I expect to do International Studies/Law at UNSW this year and major in Development Studies (do you choose that when you enrol?) and I'm not sure which subjects I even need to do each semester.

From what I understand, it's:
1 International Studies core
1 Development Studies core
1 Law subject
1 Language subject (since it's compulsory) ??

I've searched for languages (e.g. French) but it has so many options, like ARTS#### or FREN####. Which one would I do as part of International Studies? Do I get to do a French subject every semester? And I know there's a placement test for languages when you start uni, but what class do you enrol in for your timetable before you get 'placed'?

And which Law subjects would I have to do in first semester?

Sorry for all the questions guys! I just want to make sure I get a good timetable once enrolment starts, so I don't waste hours travelling to uni 5 days a week. :p
Your Law subject would be "Foundations of Law" otherwise known as LAWS1052. I'm not familiar with the International Studies Program, so I'm afraid, that's as much as I can help you at the moment.

mindelay

HSC
Thanks for the fast reply! Okay that's what I thought, I just assumed I would have more Law subjects but I remember hearing that at first there's more of the other degree, to get that out of the way, and the last 2 years are just Law. So that makes sense!

Each semester there seems to be 1 core subject for Law, Int Studies & Dev Studies.. So I'm assuming for the 4th subject I have my choice of 1st-year subjects from the Faculty of Arts?

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
Does it make a difference that I did French Continuers & Extension for the HSC? Or do I have to enrol in that one anyway and then change classes later?
I don't think it makes a difference, and you'd probably still have to enrol into this introductory course. The upper tier courses and the advanced french studies major stream all require prerequisites (such as having completed other UNSW French courses).

Essentially, this is the course if you want to start a major (or just choose an elective) in French.

Last edited:

azsakura

HSC
I am an upcoming law/international student myself and ive done my enrollment.

So here goes.

When you accept your offer you accept them as Combined law, so you will be choosing your degree, which will be international studies and then choose your plan ( for you development and for me Asian studies) when you're accepting your offer.

First semester theres only foundation of law.

For language, you do the placement survey on the Language and linguistic site of UNSW

which will be here for French :
French Placement

After you do the survey, they'll contact you via E-mail in a few working days with similar information to this:

Also you have to do 5 sequences of language courses i remembered , i called up UNSW and they said its the 2 language courses and then the 3 culture courses. Say for me Professional japanese A & B then im guessing i'll do
* Japanese Contextual Studies Course (6 UOC)
* Capstone Course (6 UOC) - ( which i have no idea what it is )
ARTS2632 Contemporary Japan (6 UOC)

Hope this helps and hope i can see you in Foundation of law lectures.
=)

mindelay

HSC
Thanks azsakura, that's so helpful! How have you enrolled already? I'm assuming I won't be able to until the official offers come out tonight.

I guess I'll see you in Laws1052 and the International Studies cores. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)