Timetabling first year law units (2 Viewers)

Smokin'Squirrel

Learning to Surf
HSC
The following questions are in regards to first year law units. Also, if you know anything about 2nd year law units, that would be helpful too.

Do they do i-lectures?

Would it be too much to do lectures and tutes back-to-back (i.e. 4 hrs straight)? Is it heavy stuff or would it be like hanging out with friends for the 2hr tute?

Do the lectures and tutes frequently go for the full allocated time?

Any insights would be much appreciated.

^___^
HSC
eh, i'm not a law student, but this gen applies to MQ student, so eh

4hrs straight of lecture can be a be hectic, so you might not want that, esp in 1st yr...i had 7 hrs straight last sem, i ended up skipping some of the classes..

as for the allocated time, depending on the lecturer, some go till 12 on the dot, others let you go 10 minutes before. But the general rule is finish 5 minutes before the hr mark, and start 5 - 10 minutes after the hr mark

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Lecture and tute back to back is fine. I'll probably have to do that this semester due to other committments, but I generally prefer having a break between each class (unless it's a 1 hour class). Having said that, you don't want too many breaks which result you being at uni from 9-6.

Law tutes generally go right to the end, and occassionally over.

I've heard of tutes that finish early (but only because it was taught by an incompetent tutor who didn't know the material and had nothing to fill the time as the students hadn't done their readings - much to her annoyance). But I think this is a one-off.

2nd year is the substantive stuff: crim 1 and contracts in first semester and crim 2 and torts is second semester. 3 hours a week for crim and 4 for the civil subjects. I personally hated contracts, but found crim and torts to be the most enjoyable subjects to date.

Smokin'Squirrel

Learning to Surf
HSC
... said:
eh, i'm not a law student, but this gen applies to MQ student, so eh
4hrs straight of lecture can be a be hectic, so you might not want that, esp in 1st yr...i had 7 hrs straight last sem, i ended up skipping some of the classes..
as for the allocated time, depending on the lecturer, some go till 12 on the dot, others let you go 10 minutes before. But the general rule is finish 5 minutes before the hr mark, and start 5 - 10 minutes after the hr mark
I'm going into third year of a commerce degree so I know that much. Last semester I had Monday 8am - 12pm straight for 2 Accounting lectures and it killed me.

Although, I have had subjects where the classes finished relatively early to the allocated time or wern't so intensive which is why I'm asking the questions now.

At the moment, I either go to a tute for 2 hrs from 11-1 pm or 2-4pm, with a 2hr lecture from 4-6pm. I would prefer not to have a 3 hr gap if possible but I'm not going to go through hell to achieve it.

GoodToGo said:
Law tutes generally go right to the end, and occassionally over.
What about the lectures? Do they tend to go for the full length?

Last edited:

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Smokin'Squirrel said:
I'm going into third year of a commerce degree so I know that much. Last semester I had Monday 8am - 12pm straight for 2 Accounting lectures and it killed me.
Although, I have had subjects where the classes finished relatively early to the allocated time or wern't so intensive which is why I'm asking the questions now.
At the moment, I either go to a tute for 2 hrs from 11-1 pm or 2-4pm, with a 2hr lecture from 4-6pm. I would prefer not to have a 3 hr gap if possible but I'm not going to go through hell to achieve it.
Hmm...well the law tutes are usually fine (provided you've done your readings) and the lectures area breeze. You can relax in most law lectures cos anything you miss (which is usually a lot of it) you can catch up on the I-lectures. It's not like accounting where they do working out on an overhead...it's just a lecture with a simple outline/lecture notes.

Smokin'Squirrel

Learning to Surf
HSC
Thanks, that really helps.

So are the law units usually recorded using i-lecture?

Also, are the units ones where you really need to keep up to date or can you fall behind and catch up fairly easily?

_Alfie_

HSC
Yeah most law lectures are recorded, though you may find units/electives that few people do aren't.

It depends, can you read a law book for 16 hrs straight, just before exams? If not, you're prolly better off making sure you're no more than a week behind in the readings + if you're up to date, class participation is easier. Hehe nothin beats the situation where you're the only one in the room who has done the readings...lol

heli

HSC
hey, im a first year comm/law student.
im having trouble understanding how units and credit points.
yes i have tried to read the handbook, but it just makes my head spin faster.
im totally freaking out about what units to pick for my first semester and what the hell to do with my time table.
some help would be much appreciated!

Helen =)

Tabris

HSC
Firstly which area?

http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/degree.php?edition=2006&id=21126
http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/degree.php?edition=2006&id=21127

Click on your program of study

After that, it should say what units u need to do

As for timetable:

http://www.timetables.mq.edu.au/class/2006/ttmaker/ttmaker.asp

just follow the steps, if u got a problem msg me,

Enrolling seems to be complicated for a lot, it is, this is because it is a bbig bureaucracy (spelling?) and theres lots of paper work, if u got a problem msg. me or ask around

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)