• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

tips for 99+ uai (1 Viewer)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The 'pool of marks' can be a useful analogy, but it's not actually what occurs.

If you're ranked first in a course at your school, your moderated assessment mark will be set equal to the top exam mark. Always. Automatic immunity to the performance of your classmates.

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
my teacher is sick!

hey mclake
my 4u maths teacher iz sick. he doesn't know how to teach!
he cums , writes the solved examples from da book and expects us 2 do the rest without explaining the concepts!!!

now tell me wat should i do?
n gudluck for ur exams!!!

tina

Dumbarse

Re: my teacher is sick!

Originally posted by tina
he cums , writes the solved examples from da book and expects us 2 do the rest without explaining the concepts!!!

i think u should
a)change skools,
b)become a 4 unit maths teacher,
c)leave the country, or
d) put up with it like most other 4 unit students who have a crap teacher

as for the "how do i get a UAI of 99+" i wouldnt worry about that till u get into year 12 a bit and your realisation sets in that HSC is not a stroll in the park
There is no set 'way' or 'technique' of getting 99+ u either can or u cant

bex

HSC
If you're ranked first in a course at your school, your moderated assessment mark will be set equal to the top exam mark.
*jaw drops* i really think they should have run tutorials on this kind of thing BEFORE i stuff up big time! damn i suck...

So what happens if you come second? is it set equal to the 2nd best mark? or does it just happen with 1st place?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
no it doesnt work like that after the 1st place
only the person ranked 1st gets a moderated assessment mark equal to the top exam mark

its based on the total average of the exam marks from your cohort, im not quite familliar with how these exam marks actually distributed into moderated assessment marks, but Laz could answer that, or check the UAC's PDF on last years scaling report (some 50 pages)

Ozz^E

Tina: u look like ur already stressed with a further 8/9 months before you. Try taking things lil easier. Break everything down..breath in. Ull get ur 99 but take things as the come.

ABout the 4u teacher...dun worry too much..if he does the examples i should think thats its suffiecient..not how it should be..but enuff..u gotta do a lot of 4u at home by urself. It ll seem hard at first but with time everything will jump into place.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by bex
So what happens if you come second? is it set equal to the 2nd best mark? or does it just happen with 1st place?
The easiest way to think about it is if you imagine your raw assessment marks being squished, stretched and shifted so that they fit the range of the exam marks. There's a document in the UAI/scaling section of the website which has further details.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Re: my teacher is sick!

hey mclake

n gudluck for ur exams!!!

tina
What Spice Girl said ... Just ask us

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
If you're ranked first in a course at your school, your moderated assessment mark will be set equal to the top exam mark.
Erg...
*thinks of the dux who got top in all but one of his seven subjects*
How nice of them to do this... there are people who wouldve done more work throughout the year beause of this immunity.
*plans to sue school and BOS for not using this carrot*
I would've at least workd harder. Even if there's still no guarantees for 1st place (selective) but still...
That's the final screw they'll be putting on our heads... :chainsaw: :chainsaw: human cruelty... sadists...

(reference to the change of expression in the host in full frontal's "So you wnna win $5?")

On a lighter note, we'll be available to answer your questions... the theory behind the subjects that you teacher miss out on will be useful. Also, since it might not be likely that you'll top all of your subjects, :rolleyes: my advice still stands. Just apply it when you think is reasonable.

astro boy

HSC
Originally posted by bex

*jaw drops* i really think they should have run tutorials on this kind of thing BEFORE i stuff up big time! damn i suck...

thats so true, our teachers never really went into depth about the whole ranking thing, i think its cos its still new to them or something

but yeh maybe if u want a 99+ uai you should
a) be really smart
b) go out with all the hsc markers of your subjects (a tricky option but far easier than 4u maths)
c) lock yourself in a dungeon and take a hostage and make a deal to only come out if u get 99+
d) give all the smart students free heroin so they become smackies and drop out of school
e) place a blank cheque (preferably under someone else's account) in each one of your exam booklets

blake

hey ne 1 plz give me ideas on how 2 study 2 get a uai of 99+

plz help
First of all you need to fix your english. Especially spelling, grammar and punctuation.

Ozz^E

Good point Blake. We missed that one.

On the 'bad' 4u maths teacher...u could get a one-one tutor..wouldnt be more then 25-30$ hr. 2hrs on each weekend should be enuff to go over any prob encountered in the week. It might a lil expensive but likely to be effective (if u get a good tutor).....anyway..its just a suggestion.

alys

on the subject of the 4u maths teacher, just be aware of how much time this could end up taking from other subjects. my 4u maths teacher was awful - he spent all the time attempting to explain (badly) the concepts, which only confused everyone immensely. what this ultimately meant was that we were pretty much teaching ourselves from the textbook. while i agree that the concepts and so on actually aren't that difficult to grasp, it does end up taking up a lot of your time. i had 13 units and did a bit of debating, as well as 3 units of french by distance ed, and when all was said and done, i didn't have the time i would have liked to do past papers or practice questions for 4u (which is what you really need to be doing), because of the time consumed in just learning the course. of course, if you're seriously set on this 99+ uai, i'm sure you'll make the time, but make sure that it's worth it and that it's not going to disadvantage other subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)