tips for assignment ? (1 Viewer)

thehummingbird

HSC
Hello. I was wondering if it was possible to get some tips for my assignment? I don't know if everybody has gotten this or anything but I'll type out the TASK part of the assignment so you fully understand and then I'll just explain what's troubling me.

Using the 'Masters in Pieces' chapter you have been assigned, conduct a class where you introduce and discuss the characteristics of the literature of the time. Design a power point presentation to introduce the context, conventions, concerns, techniques and major works. Take the class through one or more activities from the text in order to consolidate understanding.

My literary period that I've been assigned is the Romantic period and I absolutely love it. But the assignment has gotten me messed up. A whole period for me is 75 minutes and honestly, I hate presenting for 2 minutes in class so 75 minutes is going to be hell... I should have made this thread a little earlier since I'm presenting on Wednesday but I still wanna just get some tips.

Something I'm really concerned about is the actual presenting. I don't know how I'm going to present for 75 minutes when I'm going to be so nervous. Does anybody have any tips so that I can calm myself down and keep my mind on the presentation? Another thing about my presentation is the fact that my power point sucks. After seeing a couple of other people present, I realised that I have done it completely wrong and I haven't put any information into the power point whatsoever (and I'm unable to change it due to the assignment 'rules'), which means I have to write a ton of notes and read from there. I'm writing the notes down now but I don't know...

Another thing which I wanna ask is about the actual placing of the class. Other people in my class gave us questions and we had to write answers but I, being dumb, want to have more of a discussion class rather than actually making them write answers. And I was thinking of possibly moving tables and chairs into a semi-circle so that it's easier to discuss rather than sitting in a straight line. However, nobody else has moved tables or chairs for their presentation and I think my teacher would see it as pointless because she's one of those people that just likes to pick at little things you do. So my question is... should I move the tables and chairs? Because in the end, it is my presentation and I want to present in an environment that is comfortable for me as well as my 'class'. But I'm still a little nervous about it.

Um . Other problems. Time! Yes. I assume I'll be freaking out and want to get through the presentation as quickly as possible but I want to fill the whole 75 minutes so that I can at least get the marks for the timing. Any tips on how to space out my time well?

I have a headache now from writing and complaining... If I come up with anything else I'll mention it. Hopefully somebody can help me with some of my problems because I am honestly freaking out. Thanks to anybody that has a quick look through here.

le Mali

HSC
I said a bit to you in the other thread, but i'll see if I can help more.

I think rearranging the room is a good idea, it may really help discussion flow - which takes the emphasis off you.
Having reduced content in your powerpoint is good, they are not meant to be loaded with info, but just the basics and then you can talk through the rest. Kinda like a guide/overview.

Try to use the white board to write up info and topics, bring up debates to that the class can start talking about it. try to lead into topics with info the class may be aware of to get their interest and get them asking questions.

I'm not overly aware of the romantic genre/period, but you could use dramatic visuals like those trashy truck stop books to get some laughs etc.
And like theres a new movie out about Keats I think it was, I think he was a romantic poet. Use references to stuff the class knows to help discussion.

So basically, i'm rambling. But, you should try to make it as comfortable for yourself so that you are able to be calm and say everything you need to.

Also, if you are worried about not going for long enough. Maybe start with getting the class to brainstorm ideas about what the romantic period is and what conventions are involved. Then you can lead into your info.

Hope this has been in some way helpful. =)

thehummingbird

HSC
Yes, thank you for telling me that in the other thread. I think after this presentation I'll go have another chat with my year advisor. I did have a talk with her a couple of weeks ago and she said to do it and see how I cope but I might just go have another talk..

Yeah, I definitely feel that it will help me a lot to have that discussion flow due to that change and having people facing each other and stuff. And about the powerpoint, I know it's used as a guide. But I freaked out a little because everybody else was basing their entire presentation on their powerpoint. So I was like internally screaming.

There's no whiteboard in the room unfortunately. We're using a smartboard which is like a projector and whiteboard put into one but it's complicated and I don't want to annoy the teacher by wasting time trying to figure out what I'm doing - something the last student did and she got a little impatient. However the debate is a good idea! I might think about something I can put to them to debate about. Maybe one piece of literature against another?

I don't know what truck shop books are? Hahaha. Yeah, I'm a little lost on that. But yes, I have heard of the movie and I'll make a note to mention it in my presentation.

Rambling is good! I ramble a lot when I'm talking. But yes, I'll try and make it comfortable for me and for my 'class' so that I can get through it easily. The brainstorm is an awesome idea .

Thank you so much! :)

le Mali

HSC
Sorry I didn't post back sooner, the forum is messing up my notifications.

You'll do fine =)

Google Dee-Dee Drake - love secret sniper. It's this trashy romance/sex novel thing. Worst books ever. but thats what I meant.

thehummingbird

HSC
No worries !

I did it today and I didn't last 75 minutes . More like .. 50 minutes ? But I was so proud of myself . I didn't get all upset or anything . I didn't end up moving the tables but I think it was better that way . It was easier to talk ...

I don't know my marks yet. But my teacher smiled at me and gave me a little clap so I don't think I did too bad. :]

Thanks for the helpp !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)