Tips for increasing Bench Press Weight (1 Viewer)

koreafantasy

HSC
I'm currently doing 3 sets of 6 reps of 47.5kg (27.5kg plates and 20kg bar), and consider it very very weak for an 18 year old -_-
Do i increase the weight and do less reps, or do i keep what i do now?
(Only started to get into lifting about 5 months ago and didnt start learning the bench press until 3 weeks ago)

Yaburi

HSC
N/A
Watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHx1gYTA-Rw
Learn to bench with correct form. This is the most important part. It boosted my bench from 40kg to 70kg in about two months.
Eat more. Seriously. EAT. MORE.
Try to do 3 sets of 5 and increasing the weight by a small amount each session. If you're still stuck on 47.5kg after 3 sessions, consider lowering the weight to 40kg and increasing it from there.

koreafantasy

HSC
Yay i've increased to 57.5 kg!!!!! For 4 reps though. I cant wait to reach my goal- bench myself (65kg)

Jimmy2064

HSC
Like the other guy said, eat heaps. Like, all day. Tons.

As for increasing bench, from your post I'm assuming your doing it for the sole purpose of strength? Like, if you're after size aswell theres two different biological processes, and therefore two different methods of going about it.

If you're after strength only, do NOT exceed 5 reps per set, absolute MAXIMUM. You wanna be hitting 6 sets of 1-3 reps, try a pyramid structure to mix it up, or drop sets. This activates myofibrillar hypertrophy, where the muscle fibres split (instead of tear, which is the case with sarcoplasmic hypertrophy) and you'll gain strength. Keep the rest periods short and the reps fast. Go any higher than 5 reps and you'll activate a sarcoplasmic response.

As for supplements, protein isn't necessary, but can help. Creatine is also very good for strength and muscle building purposes. The rest is bullshit don't waste your time or money.

If you want some more tips, check out Elliot Hulses youtube channel youtube.com/strengthcamp I believe. Full of good info brah. Best of luck, peace.

nexusbrah

Harvey Specter of IB
HSC
Starting Strength.

Literally the easiest way to gain strength if you keep doing it consistently.

Besides SS
1. Eat like a caveman
2. Train like goku (lift and taking a multi)
3. Sleep like a baby

huehuehueuheu

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)