Tips For Managing Time During an Exam? (1 Viewer)

HSC
During an exam, time is against you. The main thing is to attempt every question to the best of your ability, but is this realistic?

Do you:
-Set 1 to 2 minutes per mark? (e.g 10 marks = 10-20mins)
-Not answer in full sentences (maybe dot points..)?
-Plan for every question (is that time worthy? How much time spent?)
-Skip the harder questions and return later...maybe...
-Set a certain time period for sections and when time is over...drop everything, next part?
-Use any amount of time until you're happy with your answer?

The time stress and pressure really hits at the half time mark. Sometimes it feels that the exam won't even be completed.

Offer any tips you have, I'll really appreciate that! =)

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
During the 5 minutes reading time I tend to read over the questions and get a feel of what I would be able to answer well and what I wouldn't (I'd leave these questions for the end, and circle them as a reminder). I would also take note of the number of pages the exam has.

When the exam actually begins I would occasionally glance at my watch resting at the corner of the desk to see how I'm going time-wise. This gives me an indication as to whether I should speed up, slow down or carry on at the same pace.

I don't tend to allocate more time to the higher mark questions because they could be easy af, as opposed to a one mark multiple choice question which could take more working out or just be difficult. Then again it honestly depends on the nature of the question.

For my year 11 half-yearlies for 2u maths I remember having 45 minutes left, and I'd finished the exam, and had looked over it 5 + times, but did not attempt one multiple choice. The wording of it was absolutely terrible so it took me 40 out of the 45 minutes remaining to finally get the answer (I ended up getting 100% yeww).

^ I tend to use the above advice for the sciences and maths

As for english just rote your essay and keep your head down during the exam writing it out (notsrs)

astroman

HSC
during the 5 minutes reading time, i find it best to start making up an essay.

HSC
During the 5 minutes reading time I tend to read over the questions and get a feel of what I would be able to answer well and what I wouldn't (I'd leave these questions for the end, and circle them as a reminder). I would also take note of the number of pages the exam has.

When the exam actually begins I would occasionally glance at my watch resting at the corner of the desk to see how I'm going time-wise. This gives me an indication as to whether I should speed up, slow down or carry on at the same pace.

I don't tend to allocate more time to the higher mark questions because they could be easy af, as opposed to a one mark multiple choice question which could take more working out or just be difficult. Then again it honestly depends on the nature of the question.

For my year 11 half-yearlies for 2u maths I remember having 45 minutes left, and I'd finished the exam, and had looked over it 5 + times, but did not attempt one multiple choice. The wording of it was absolutely terrible so it took me 40 out of the 45 minutes remaining to finally get the answer (I ended up getting 100% yeww).

^ I tend to use the above advice for the sciences and maths

As for english just rote your essay and keep your head down during the exam writing it out (notsrs)
Agreed. I'm always weary of the amount of pages too. And yes, my personal watch is always in front on my desk.
Really similar to yours, I find this works with content heavy subjects.

btw awesome yr11 2u results! I'll be lucky to have 45 mins left to check back :/

I have heard that essay method majority of the time...but the unseen question ...?

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
Agreed. I'm always weary of the amount of pages too. And yes, my personal watch is always in front on my desk.
Really similar to yours, I find this works with content heavy subjects.

btw awesome yr11 2u results! I'll be lucky to have 45 mins left to check back :/

I have heard that essay method majority of the time...but the unseen question ...?
You use the 5 minutes reading time to determine how you're going to link that question to your essay, or mould your essay around the question

Last edited:

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
- Do easiest first
- Do MC first
- Do short answer
- Dont work on a Q too long. If u dont know it, circle it, come back to it. Answer all the easy shit first to get that load off your shoulders. That way you have more time for the harder Q's. This is to also save as much time as possible for longer responses.

astroman

HSC
- Do easiest first
- Do MC first
- Do short answer
- Dont work on a Q too long. If u dont know it, circle it, come back to it. Answer all the easy shit first to get that load off your shoulders. That way you have more time for the harder Q's. This is to also save as much time as possible for longer responses.
once i started from the hardest first so my fresh mind could concentrate hardest on those and gradually finish the exam with less stressful questions.

HSC
- Do easiest first
- Do MC first
- Do short answer
Thanks for the tips! My main problem are the long responses. How much time do I spend on each after I eliminate the ones I already finished?

astroman

HSC
Thanks for the tips! My main problem are the long responses. How much time do I spend on each after I eliminate the ones I already finished?
depends on the time duration of the test and total marks, aim for no more than 30secs per multiple choice and for long responses, write for the total marks, so a 10 marker, write for about 10 mins.

HSC
You use that time to determine who you're going to link that question to your essay
You mean how*, I think. Yes I guess I can dissect my prepared essay and mould it in but that's with broader questions (aka syllabus wise). For specific ones, like cough* in English prelims... then I'm doomed

astroman

HSC
i suggest you do practice papers before tests. Most students who get high atars can finish past papers in well under the time limit provided due to the fact that they are so content with the layout of the tests and are familiar with the styles of questions.

HSC
why isn't it?
In order to avoid the transferral of verbal vomit onto paper, I must plan so I actually answer the question and include whatever is required (maybe 2 mins-ish). Then it may be actually writing in a structure (this is the worst since I might need to add more to what was written). But because, time doesn't work with me, sometimes I leave incomplete sentences of ideas. Some subjects don't need >8 markers to be in essay form- is this true and do people actually do this?

i suggest you do practice papers before tests. Most students who get high atars can finish past papers in well under the time limit provided due to the fact that they are so content with the layout of the tests and are familiar with the styles of questions.
Yes love practice papers. I feel way more prepared. Then again, I'm a slow thinker and my inner critic always makes me doubt my answer I'm about to write. Grr..

HSC
If you say that you're doomed, then I daresay your essay isn't generic. Obviously a prepared script would adhere to as much of the rubric as possible to avoid a terrible question; but even then you must be ready for the worst. For instance in the AOS, a good way to avoid being flustered is trying to find links between certain concepts, because if you think about it, discovery is heavily interconnected, meaning you can draw threads if need be. Say if your generic essay focuses on new understandings of the individual and society but the exam question asks you to discuss the process of discovery and how it enriches the self - you talk about the voyage of discovery in which over time, your perspectives are refined which can be reaffirmed or challenged via the vicarious human experience. Then, you can slot in the new understanding bit since you come out of the process with an ontological truth that enhances the self. Not the best example, but hopefully you get what I mean.

In addition, you must have a contingency plan (extra quotes + techniques on obscure analysis) because there's a chance you need to completely discard your generic essay, just to be confident you won't get screwed over in the exam, since you do require some luck on your side. :haha: Plus knowing your texts deeply would also be of great benefit. So yeah, it's possible to memorise an essay for the AOS, Module A C, but I strongly discourage it for Module B (that's another issue to explain later).

(Soz for derailing though haha)
Thanks heaps for that! There's lots and lots of generic essay questions but even my draft one didn't match your example (btw I got mines from different teachers/ classes). As for the text, yes I really need to engage with the texts. The RM was easy to but the prescribed... (let's just say no one thinks that as a good one, probably my school was the only one to use it)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)