Tips for Memorising (1 Viewer)

zlum23

HSC
Any tips for memorising word-for-word essays overnight?

carrotsss

HSC
If you drafted the essay recently it should be relatively quick to learn an essay with Drongoski’s method, it works quite well

Vall

HSC
+1 for handwriting them out
start off with the essay right next to you and try and minimise you looking at it (if you remember some of it already)
then on the next write up (or maybe the one after) flip the essay you're memorising upside down and only flip it over to look at it when you are completely stuck (like spend at least 10 seconds trying to remember what comes next before looking). Just make sure to check what you are writing is actually correct maybe every paragraph

I don't know if memorising an essay word-for-word is possible in one night but memorising my 40ish quotes for paper 2 was possible in one night by doing this

kkk579

hello
HSC
If you drafted the essay recently it should be relatively quick to learn an essay with Drongoski’s method, it works quite well
Really? I always type it cos I’m lazy to write it instead and it works perfectly fine for me but ig it differs from person to person

kkk579

hello
HSC
Really? I always type it cos I’m lazy to write it instead and it works perfectly fine for me but ig it differs from person to person
But I see how writing it would be better since in exam conditions u could probably recall it faster cos of muscle memory

howcanibesmarter

HSC
just read, writing wastes too much time, same as typing. Read first line, cover it up, recite, read second line, repeat line, then cover it up, restart from line 1, rinse and repeat.
i memorised 4000words in the last 3 days with this method (1000words today), still have 300 left to go for exam in 2days

only start writing when you are done with memroising, this would pace you for the actual exam where you have to write 1000words or however long in 40minutes

An alternative is to listen to a recording of yourself when your doing other things, ie otw to school, just before you sleep, builds a subconscious thing in your mind, but this did not work for me, could work for you though.

DISCLAIMER,
what works for me works for me, be open to other peoples suggestions because i will get a lot of hate for this i think

Last edited:

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
just read, writing wastes too much time, same as typing. Read first line, cover it up, recite, read second line, repeat line, then cover it up, restart from line 1, rinse and repeat.
i memorised 4000words in the last 3 days with this method (1000words today), still have 300 left to go for exam in 2days

only start writing when you are done with memroising, this would pace you for the actual exam where you have to write 1000words or however long in 40minutes
let me know if you write those 4000 words in the exam word for word

howcanibesmarter

HSC
if you do want to type it out, i suggest go to monkeytype, custom then use simon says feature in settings, this makes the entire text invisible and comes up as red if you type something wrong/miss a word. I usually do this when i cant be bothered to read it out loud

kkk579

hello
HSC

An alternative is to listen to a recording of yourself when your doing other things, ie otw to school, just before you sleep, builds a subconscious thing in your mind, but this did not work for me, could work for you though.

DISCLAIMER,
what works for me works for me, be open to other peoples suggestions because i will get a lot of hate for this i think
i also have an english exam but in one week, unseen q. i hope the q ain’t smth strange or too explicit otherwise i’m screwed

No surprises

HSC
devide your essay into different parts such as thesis- quote-analysis, or for social science it could be theory-examples-stats-analysis-short/long term effect-link back.
Put the main ideas in each part down for memorising,such as just write "definition of xxx" instead of writing the entire sentence down(BUT YEA YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT FIRST)
Try to write different parts out in different colours as well.
When you going to to the exam, make sure you revise them in the morning after cramming all the night be4

MJRey

HSC
Don't even try that. You're setting yourself up for failure in the event you get a question that's completely different to the one you've memorised. Memorise ideas, quotes and concepts, not entire essays. You'll thank yourself for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)