Tips n Tricks (1 Viewer)

globalpoato

HSC
Hi all,

Before I go into year 12 physics I would like to ask you guys on how you study the subject and any tips you have since for me physics feels like a very unique and different subject to what I am used to. I don't really know how to specify other than note taking and study.

Thanks

astroman

HSC
I found year 12 physics much more content heavy than the year 11 course, depending on your option topic, the majority of work will be rote learning will not much math, the math is just progressing on from the stuff you learn in year 11, especially the moving about equations.

WildestDreams

HSC
I found year 12 physics much more content heavy than the year 11 course, depending on your option topic, the majority of work will be rote learning will not much math, the math is just progressing on from the stuff you learn in year 11, especially the moving about equations.
how much percentage maths vs how much percentage rote learning would you say there is?

WildestDreams

HSC
Hi all,

Before I go into year 12 physics I would like to ask you guys on how you study the subject and any tips you have since for me physics feels like a very unique and different subject to what I am used to. I don't really know how to specify other than note taking and study.

Thanks
I think the most important thing is learning HOW to answer a question. Know your key terminology and how to answer questions.

kashkow

HSC
how much percentage maths vs how much percentage rote learning would you say there is?
I would say about a 20% ratio to 80%. Though you could download a past paper and have a look at it yourself (count the maths-related marks). It may be more but in terms of difficulty ratios for each, and time needed for both areas in the course. Though this is a rough estimate so I wouldn't count too much on it plus everyone is different and so it may vary a bit.

Another mention is that in the HSC course there may be use of a formula in order to answer a question, especially in multiple choice. e.g. recalling a formula for force on a current carrying conductor, to answer a question about a graph. But I'm not sure if this would be considered "mathematics" as such.

kashkow

HSC
Hi all,

Thanks
I think the most important thing is learning HOW to answer a question. Know your key terminology and how to answer questions.
Yeah this is true, understanding HOW to answer a question is a big thing for exams. But don't forget to understand all the key content (the syllabus).

Physics is pretty different to other subjects, but it is also pretty fun. A few of my tips are:

1. Practice past papers. I know this is probably stated a lot but it is very important for two main reasons. First is you get an understanding of the questions they can ask of you and you don't get surprised by the time for exams. Secondly you also find areas you are weak in. However it is crucial to mark your own work or have someone mark it for you so you do understand and improve on the weak areas.

2. Understanding each key concept (even if you start off with a basic understanding). This is pretty important as you go through the course. The understanding doesn't have to be complete at first, but I'd recommend trying to at least attain a basic understanding of the underlying principles/factors in each concept, before trying to move on. You come to realise a lot of different things that are interrelated and things build up on each other (especially within each core module and especially within Motors and Generators) and principles that are used in more than one area. Even if there are areas that don't necessary build up from each other, I'd still recommend trying to understand the key concepts when they arise (even if basically, then reviewing it further later) and not just skipping them since you may be tested on it in the course (if it's part of the syllabus).

3. Exam technique: This includes diagrams, lists, headings used in exams etc. Find out what's acceptable and what will give you good marks.

4. Understanding and using formulas in exams. This is pretty crucial for exams. Basically lots of questions ask stuff that require you to remember the formulas and derive the answer from there. For example they may ask a question about mass and acceleration given that there is a constant force and you need to recall F=ma.

5. Understand your weak areas (especially important in preparation for exams). This kinda links in with point 1 but it is the result of doing past papers. If you compile a list it should really help keep you on track, and you can modify this list throughout.

6. Find resources. Any resources online such as past papers, exemplars youtube videos, etc. that help build your understanding is good. However always try to keep it relevant, unless you are genuinely interested in it and want to further your knowledge outside the syllabus. It's always good to learn. Just don't spend massive amounts of time for something that won't be of use and that you do "for the sake of it".

7. Stay interested in the topic. Although it may get a bit boring at times it is a great subject and if you try take interest and start to understand things you will hopefully improve, both in your performance and understanding and gain self-satisfaction in it. I know for me it is a highly satisfying subject (especially HSC course imo is better than prelim) and I've had many of my own personal ideas and thoughts based on certain topics or concepts that I've learnt in it. ie. I've extended the concepts out of the syllabus and formulated my own ideas and thoughts based off of what-ifs and dreams.

Anyway some of those are really trivial stuff but I hope it helps! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)