To all Med Hopefuls (1 Viewer)

Oer

Started from the fundus
HSC
Only Monash has chem as a pre-req afaik
Yeah I can't recall anyone having a biology prereq, but can't say I know every uni in Australia

Silky_Smooth

HSC
Only Monash has chem as a pre-req afaik
Yeah I can't recall anyone having a biology prereq, but can't say I know every uni in Australia
Yeah, upon research it seems as if many universities across Australia recommend studying chemistry or biology in Year 11 and 12 but do not have these as prerequisites to enter medicine.
However, I know for certain that The University of Adelaide requires either biology or chemistry as prerequisites for entry into medicine. In saying that I've heard it is difficult for people interstate to get a position there, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Oer

Started from the fundus
HSC
Yeah, upon research it seems as if many universities across Australia recommend studying chemistry or biology in Year 11 and 12 but do not have these as prerequisites to enter medicine.
However, I know for certain that The University of Adelaide requires either biology or chemistry as prerequisites for entry into medicine. In saying that I've heard it is difficult for people interstate to get a position there, so I guess it doesn't really matter.
Yeah, looks like you have to have either Chem, Bio or Maths equivalent to SACE Stage 2 (whatever that means).
https://health.adelaide.edu.au/downloads/admissions/medicine_admissionsguide-web.pdf

I think it's best just to go with whatever subjects you enjoy tbh

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Just outta interest but is it possible to get a part time job (in uni) in the area of medicine so then you can further your medical career?

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Just outta interest but is it possible to get a part time job (in uni) in the area of medicine so then you can further your medical career?
While studying medicine? Not really, you're on clinical rotations anyway, so close enuf

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
While studying medicine? Not really, you're on clinical rotations anyway, so close enuf
lol k den

I thought there was a part time job to further your career like how other jobs have it (part time job as a legal assistant/ receptionist for law students or a freelance/web designer for IT students)

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
lol k den

I thought there was a part time job to further your career like how other jobs have it (part time job as a legal assistant/ receptionist for law students or a freelance/web designer for IT students)
Well I am not 100% sure, but I assume you're not qualified enough to be trained while you're still studying. Also you can't really do a job when your med days are like 9-5 or even more.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Well I am not 100% sure, but I assume you're not qualified enough to be trained while you're still studying. Also you can't really do a job when your med days are like 9-5 or even more.
I think you might, possibly a job as a doctor's assistant/receptionist?????

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
I think you might, possibly a job as a doctor's assistant/receptionist?????
You can do a part-time job during medicine. You could do any job that you are qualified for, so being a receptionist would be viable. Being a medical receptionist would probably contribute very little to your overall medical career.

Renaaa

HSC
Uni Grad
Heaps of people are medical receptionist in my course! :p most of them do it for 1) $$ 2) CV- shows you can balance work and study life. 3) it does improve your communication skills

Personally, I'm employed by the Uni to tutor 1st and 2nd year MED students who are socioeconomically disadvantaged. It's a great job because you get to revise the stuff you learnt 2-3 years ago!

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
You can do a part-time job during medicine. You could do any job that you are qualified for, so being a receptionist would be viable. Being a medical receptionist would probably contribute very little to your overall medical career.
Hey Schmeag

Do you know any part time jobs in the area of medicine while in uni?

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Heaps of people are medical receptionist in my course! :p most of them do it for 1) $$ 2) CV- shows you can balance work and study life. 3) it does improve your communication skills

Personally, I'm employed by the Uni to tutor 1st and 2nd year MED students who are socioeconomically disadvantaged. It's a great job because you get to revise the stuff you learnt 2-3 years ago!
Do you get paid to tutor?

Also do you know any other part time job in medicine?

Renaaa

HSC
Uni Grad
Do you get paid to tutor?

Also do you know any other part time job in medicine?
At least at UNSW, there is a lot of tutoring opportunities- if you score well enough in exams. I do get paid to tutor, but I did achieve a HD ave for my first few years in MED.

It's more of a casual job rather than part time.

Honestly, I think it's better if you focus on studying rather than part time jobs- unless you need $$$. In med, most of the jobs are only given if you do well ( as they are mainly tutoring)

Receptionist jobs- most people do that casually. I do know a friend who works as a receptionist part time ( and misses heaps of lectures and classes as a result)- but honestly that is far from ideal. The amount of time you spend studying now is going to pay off x1000 in the future. Besides, you build on knowledge you gain. If you do not get a sound understanding of basic sciences / course work- it's going to be a struggle in the upper years, when you sit for clinical, biomedical exams etc.

If you do takes job- focus on weekends instead of weekdays, as med is indeed hectic!

Last edited:

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
Hey Schmeag

Do you know any part time jobs in the area of medicine while in uni?
There is not really anything you could do in the area of actual medicine without requiring some kind of certification. However, if you mean health-related, you could work as an orderly or a phlebotomist as these typically may not require any qualifications (but may requiring a period of training). Again, these won't really contribute much to your overall medical career.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
There is not really anything you could do in the area of actual medicine without requiring some kind of certification. However, if you mean health-related, you could work as an orderly or a phlebotomist as these typically may not require any qualifications (but may requiring a period of training). Again, these won't really contribute much to your overall medical career.
So there aren't really any jobs which could further your medical career...

Renaaa

HSC
Uni Grad
So there aren't really any jobs which could further your medical career...
At the moment, all NSW graduates (domestic) are guaranteed an internship (intern + residency). After that, its going to be based on research/what your consultants/team thinks of you.

Your best 'bet' to further your career is to get published/research. Otherwise get involved in Medsoc, peer mentor, tutor etc- show your involvement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)