To buy or not to buy...ipod video... (1 Viewer)

Sydney, Australia, Earth, Milky Way...............
HSC
Okay. Having looked at the past threads, the ipod video has gotten some pretty good reviews. I'm considering buying a 30GB one - I don't have 60gb of music + videos + photos, the 60gb looks a little bulkier and I don't really want to spend the $130. I currently have only a Panasonic Discman which has served me faithfully since 2000, and that's why I was thinking of an upgrade in the portable music stakes, but I haven't owned any kind of ipod before, so I'm a real newbie. Would anyone please help me with my questions?

1. Someone once told me that you can only use an ipod with one computer; if you try to use it with more than one all the music will disappear. Is this true?
I have a desktop and a laptop, but all my music is stored on an external hard drive which goes between both computers. If sync it with my desktop using the external hard drive as the storage folder, then take my external drive to another computer, will any conflicts arise from 2 computers accessing the same music folder?

2. Headphones. How are ipod headphones? Do they break easily? I used to buy my headphones for my discman from the $2 shop, putting up with bad quality sound because they would break after 3 months and I'd have lousy sound coming out of one side.

3. Economics. a) When is the price of ipod videos likely to drop? From memory the Minis fell substantially after Christmas last year.
b) Are they likely to drop at all? Is this particular generation of ipods worth the cost?

4. Competitors. I've heard about the iRiver, Sony and the Creative MP3 players, but to me they won't have a big enough capacity - I'm looking for something to store and display videos and photos as well as music. However, how does the ipod video compare with these lower-capacity players in stability, battery life, hardiness...?

5. a) Accessories. I would like to go jogging etc with my ipod, and so I'd have to buy some protection for it. Is there a decent range of good-quality accessories for this new ipod video? I have seen mostly Nano, Shuffle and Mini things, but I may not be looking hard enough.
b) I'm fairly keen on radio as well; can you get a radio plug-in for the ipod video? Does it work well? (NB: I can live without it)

6. Video. I know quality/battery life mean that this has had some mixed reviews, but how would one go about converting one's Real, ASF, (I'm assuming you can easily convert Quicktime because the ipod is by Apple after all), Windows Media Audio/Video and the dozens of other video-type files that exist out there? Is there a painless way to do this?

Hope I haven't been too much of a pest. If there's anything else that comes up between me, my parents and apple products, I'll add it.

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
stella8h8chang said:
1. Someone once told me that you can only use an ipod with one computer; if you try to use it with more than one all the music will disappear. Is this true?
I have a desktop and a laptop, but all my music is stored on an external hard drive which goes between both computers. If sync it with my desktop using the external hard drive as the storage folder, then take my external drive to another computer, will any conflicts arise from 2 computers accessing the same music folder?
Probably. When you plug your ipod into another computer it asks if you want to sync with that music database. If you say yes, it'll wipe your music and replace it with the library on the new computer - I don't know what'd happen if they were both identical libraries, with say one new song in one of them. I don't know if it would update just the one song, or wipe everything. If the itunes library however was stored on the hard drive, then that should work, since you're updating from the same library location on both machines.

stella8h8chang said:
2. Headphones. How are ipod headphones? Do they break easily? I used to buy my headphones for my discman from the $2 shop, putting up with bad quality sound because they would break after 3 months and I'd have lousy sound coming out of one side.
Ah, I don't like them. Hurt my ears haha. Get a pair of sony headphones for $20 at Big W. Good quality, last ages, don't make you stand out as an Ipod user.

stella8h8chang said:
3. Economics. a) When is the price of ipod videos likely to drop? From memory the Minis fell substantially after Christmas last year.
b) Are they likely to drop at all? Is this particular generation of ipods worth the cost?
When a newer model is released.

stella8h8chang said:
4. Competitors. I've heard about the iRiver, Sony and the Creative MP3 players, but to me they won't have a big enough capacity - I'm looking for something to store and display videos and photos as well as music. However, how does the ipod video compare with these lower-capacity players in stability, battery life, hardiness...?
You hear people complain about Ipod problems, but obviously the more people with ipods, the more problems you'll have. My friends have all had issues with theirs, but, admittedly on their own behalf, all the problems were caused by carelessness in handling. Battery has never been an issue on my 4G. I've dropped it a few times and it still lives. Doesn't crash etc.

stella8h8chang said:
5. a) Accessories. I would like to go jogging etc with my ipod, and so I'd have to buy some protection for it. Is there a decent range of good-quality accessories for this new ipod video? I have seen mostly Nano, Shuffle and Mini things, but I may not be looking hard enough.
b) I'm fairly keen on radio as well; can you get a radio plug-in for the ipod video? Does it work well? (NB: I can live without it)
Don't know - check the Apple site or good "Ipod video accessories". There will be sooner or later- jogging apparatuses have been released for the others.

stella8h8chang said:
6. Video. I know quality/battery life mean that this has had some mixed reviews, but how would one go about converting one's Real, ASF, (I'm assuming you can easily convert Quicktime because the ipod is by Apple after all), Windows Media Audio/Video and the dozens of other video-type files that exist out there? Is there a painless way to do this?
Hm.. really depends on your technical expertise. Are you good with computers? Can you work some more complex programs?

Last edited:

placebo101

HSC
nothing ive seen can match the interface of an ipod. i recently bought a 30gb black ipod video and im very happy with it. i previously had a discman but decided to upgrade when i had way to many cds. my brother has a sony hd3 - its good, but the ipod is so much better. i didnt pay much attention to the video feature, because really... when do i want to watch videos on a ipod - never. its more like an added feature which may come in handy later on.

also if you do buy an ipod and ur parents let u use their credit card, buy at the online apple store. use the student discount and save $50. i received mine in 3 days. they didnt check if i was a student or not either.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
having video on the ipod is pretty useless, the screen is too small.

the ipod earphones are no doubt the best!

space, all the major , sony iriver and creative have model that have huge storage.

my recommendation:
avoid ipod nano - has lcd screen problems
ipod is considerably cheaper than others, but it does have some hardware problems.
iriver is good but very expensive.
creative is also very good wit nice features such fm radio etc, slightly more expensive

sony is expensive! but will pprob be gud

personally stick to the discman, or buy an dvd portable player,
portable player can play mp3 have huge screen can play movies and have good quality sound, with built in speakers.

also they serve as a dvd players. each dvd holds 4.7gb. its expandable.

G

Gavvvvvin

If you wanna watch videos on it make sure you keep it well protected...i had mine in my pocket for no longer than half an hour and the thing got scratched to the point where watching videos on it was unenjoyable =\

HSC
An alternative to the Ipod Video is the Cowon iAudio X5L. I really want to buy this one (but don't have the funds to do so).

It's basically the same as the Ipod Video except it does not need a program like iTunes to sync to and thus operates via drop n drag. It's around the same price as the Ipod and supports many formats (MP3, WMA, ASF, WAV, OGG, FLAC). It also has video capabilities like the Ipod. The only negative thing people are finding with the X5L is that it cannot browse by artist/genre/etc. However, a positive to this device is that it can play 35 hours of music from one charge and around 10 hours of video from one charge.

Choices....

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Remember the iPod is primarily an mp3 player, which happens to be able to play video files. If you take that into account when you buy it, then you'll be satisifed with the iPod 5G. Don't buy it thinking you are getting a portable video player because you'll be sadly disappointed.

Btw others have answered your Q's I believe but in short;
1. Only one PC per iPod or you lose music- unless you are using some hack or other program to manage your music.
2. Headphones are good for stock- but spend a bit of dough and buy some decent ones... I've bought like 5 pairs off bluetin.com- everything from Sony MDR-G74s to Sony EX-81, etc... they'll make the experience much more enjoyable. The G74 has a very strong 'textured' cord to protect it from spoiling.
3. iPod prices never drop- Mini is an exception because Apple stopped making them and retailers tried to get rid of the old model. Resale price maintenance may be illegal, but somehow Apple has managed to do it- it doesn't even get affected by those massive sales!
4. Download iTunes and see how you like the interface and smart playlists; if you do.. go for it. I personally don't like the Sony interface, and haven't tried Creative or iRiver before.
5. Accessories are plentiful but they aren't cheap.

HamuTarou

Ar U TaLkiNG 2 Me?! o.O
HSC
seremify007 said:
I've seen people using PSP as an mp3 player on the bus... it's HUGE!
i reckon using the psp as a mp3 player is stupid. it's too big. use the psp for games (of cuz) and mp4s (videos). 1 gig wont last u long if u're runnin umdemulator or fastloader. the isos are HUGE!! over 1 gig..wont fit.

back to the point, i agree changin the earphones. nowadays anything white in ur ear is ipod. i had white psp earphones. ppl were goin on i had a ipod.

video quality is very good for the ipod video. saw my friends dvd ripped american pie band camp and it's was good. but the battery is shit. dies fast.

be prepare to get ripped from the accessories. there damn expensive and rare.

finally, get a uni student to get it for u. 10% off! that's 40bucks!

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
HamuTarou said:
i reckon using the psp as a mp3 player is stupid. it's too big. use the psp for games (of cuz) and mp4s (videos). 1 gig wont last u long if u're runnin umdemulator or fastloader. the isos are HUGE!! over 1 gig..wont fit.

back to the point, i agree changin the earphones. nowadays anything white in ur ear is ipod. i had white psp earphones. ppl were goin on i had a ipod.

video quality is very good for the ipod video. saw my friends dvd ripped american pie band camp and it's was good. but the battery is shit. dies fast.

be prepare to get ripped from the accessories. there damn expensive and rare.

finally, get a uni student to get it for u. 10% off! that's 40bucks!
not as a mp3 player. but to watch videos with it.

RCMasterAA

I vant to suck your blood
HSC
stella8h8chang said:

Hope I haven't been too much of a pest. If there's anything else that comes up between me, my parents and apple products, I'll add it.
I disagree with the people who complain about video not looking good on the iPod/small screen size. To me it's perfectly fine. Family Guy looks especially good on it after I converted it.

5) Plenty of hard and silicone covers available to purchase in Apple Care Centre stores and places like David Jones and Myer now. There's Agent18, zCover, 4fer, etc. Just step into a store and check them out. I found Chatswood's one to be the best with the biggest range of cases.

6) There are plenty of conversion guides on the internet now. Here are a couple for you to check out in the future.
http://forums.ipodlounge.com/showthread.php?threadid=122216
http://forums.ipodlounge.com/showthread.php?threadid=123067
http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/guides.html#1000

I wholeheartedly endorse your decision to buy one and as a recent new-owner of one, I must say that I am extremely happy with it. (PS. when you first get it, don't immediately put it in your pocket).
Also, and this is important, fully charge and discharge your battery a couple of times before you use it normally. Simply play a video or song over and over again till the battery is gone then full charge and repeat. I don't wanna read another whingy post about the battery life on this forum :p
A full charge takes about 4 hours.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
No.

If you're looking to watch videos, id much rather a PSP

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
RCMasterAA said:
I disagree with the people who complain about video not looking good on the iPod/small screen size. To me it's perfectly fine. Family Guy looks especially good on it after I converted it.
Family guy is hardly 'taxing' or even remotely detailed in its animation.

Run a test with a DVD version of final fantasy : advent children.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
You should only get the ipod video if you're really keen on watching videos on a portable device, and you wanna carry lots of clips around with you everywhere. There are other portable video players that have better graphics quality and longer battery that you can find around electronic stores.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I have a copy of "The Emperor's New Groove" on my iPod and it looks and sounds absolutely fantastic. :)

Have also downloaded a few music clips from iTunes and they're amazing too (e.g. "Enya - May It Be" with clips from LOTR).

You only get two hours of video playback, but if you have a charger handy (e.g. car charger if you're a passenger, or wall-socket charger if you're away) then you really don't have to worry about becoming temporarily iPodless.

Only suggestion I can make is that you buy a protective cover for it STRAIGHT AWAY! They scratch *so* easily! Seriously. Straight away. Have it ready.

Otherwise I love my iPod. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)