To cater or not to cater (1 Viewer)

kittiquin

HSC
ok, so I've decided that I'm interested in ANU. But I live in Sydney, and am extremely poor.

So, I guess I'm going to be living in student accommodation.

But I can't figure out if I should go for catered or self-catered.

I like the idea of just being fed three times a day, but... is the food actually edible?

And which option works out cheaper? (Rent is cheaper for self-catered I see, but am I going to end up spending just as much money on food?)

Advice from somebody who actually knows what it's like up there would really be appreciated.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
kittiquin said:
ok, so I've decided that I'm interested in ANU. But I live in Sydney, and am extremely poor.

So, I guess I'm going to be living in student accommodation.

But I can't figure out if I should go for catered or self-catered.

I like the idea of just being fed three times a day, but... is the food actually edible?

And which option works out cheaper? (Rent is cheaper for self-catered I see, but am I going to end up spending just as much money on food?)

Advice from somebody who actually knows what it's like up there would really be appreciated.
The food is excellent (at least at Bruce and Ursies - food at Johns and Burgmann is appalling) and community tends to be much better at catered colleges. At Bruce & Ursies you will generally get all you can eat with around 3 or 4 different options at dinner as well as access to a salad bar, coffee, cake, a sandwich bar etc. Lunch is similar and generally there is a hot breakfast with a large selection. I wouldn't recommend living in catered accommodation if you're a vegetarian (there are always vegies and salads but there is rarely much variety in vegetarian meals) or obviously if you're a strict Muslim or Jew (though I think there has been a move towards buying halal meat).

However, if you're cash-strapped the catered colleges (and the self catered uni lodge apartments) will be prohibitively more expensive ($259 at Johns, $273 at Bruce/Ursies and $287 Burgmann p/w) while self catered colleges are generally around $150 p/w. While the amount you spend on food will fluctuate you will generally spend around $60-70 max on food p/w. So, if you go to a self catered college you will save around $140 per fortnight but you'll miss out on the strong community that comes from living at a catered college.

Evilo

HSC
the food at johns isnt "appling", its just not great. Its edible, and when it comes down to it - id rather save $20 a week to spend on other stuff. The community makes up for the quality food. You also gotta be realistic - if you expect 5 star meals, then well you'll be in for a big suprise when you get into communal living anywhere.

Evilo

HSC
If you're strict about penny saving then you could possibly go slightly better in a self-catered college (but you have to sustain that for the whole year - lots of perseverence), otherwise you cant beat the catered college value.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Evilo said:
If you're strict about penny saving then you could possibly go slightly better in a self-catered college (but you have to sustain that for the whole year - lots of perseverence), otherwise you cant beat the catered college value.
Did Ken make you head of promotions Evilo?

Evilo

HSC
nah he didn't, but i figured i better come on here a even up the "johns hatred"odds

Seriously though, we have a generally have an even number of new people arriving (320 rooms, 120 new kids each year) unlike ursies (200 rooms, ~130 new kids) - johns must be doing something right. ;)

Evilo

HSC
ooo i forgot to mention - if you're poor enough, you might be able to apply for government funds (aus-study etc) whch will cover pretty much any hall/college fees @ anu (except UL lol)

HelenwhoreofT

HSC
I'm keen to go into self-catered, but I have been warned that there are very few first year students. Is this true?
Thanks.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
HelenwhoreofT said:
I'm keen to go into self-catered, but I have been warned that there are very few first year students. Is this true?
Thanks.
There aren't many first years at uni-lodge one. There won't be many first year undergraduates at uni-lodge two either, apparently they're targetting post-graduates. There are heaps of first years at B&G and Fenner though.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
*cough* caterpillars *cough*

I'd really rather have more control over what I eat, and save money while I'm at it, so I went for B&G. Good to hear that there's first years there.
That post was written in 2007 mate, things have changed and we have a new chef who cooks pretty damn good food.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
haha that's what I've heard too since posting that, my bad.

Still, I don't think it's worth it getting catered. I could feed myself for less the difference a week..
hmm its the opposite for me, and the fact i cbf cooking. It's just too easy to rock up at 6pm, get a meal, then not even clean up afterwards

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)