To do list: merge with New Zealand? (1 Viewer)

Aus - NZ merge?

• Yay

Votes: 19 51.4%
  • Nay

Votes: 18 48.6%

• Total voters

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Stupid idea, imo.

New Zealand is a socially progressive version of us with a multi-partisan parliament. The latter would most certainly be destroyed and that would be an immense pity; I don't want to see a legislature where an Indigenous person can be in the cabinet, an indigenous transgendered person be an MP and a woman be PM be drowned in the straight white male power base that is Australian government.

Every other positive idea could be addressed by simply allowing for a mutual recognition and bequest of rights and privileges between the two countries. Travel, education, social security, minority protections etc. could all be easily accounted for without a merger.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Stupid idea, imo.

New Zealand is a socially progressive version of us with a multi-partisan parliament. The latter would most certainly be destroyed and that would be an immense pity; I don't want to see a legislature where an Indigenous person can be in the cabinet, an indigenous transgendered person be an MP and a woman be PM be drowned in the straight white male power base that is Australian government.

Optimus Prime

Electric Beats
Wherevr sentient beings are being mistreated
HSC
New Zealand only narrowly missed becoming a part of Australia when the Federation vote was held.

It's a great idea. I have known of so many New Zealand people who live, work and study in Australia and don't have access to benefits they really should have. I also have friends living in New Zealand who always have such huge difficulty trying to get to Uni here. Good from every point of view imo, except for two and they are:

1. sport, if we become 1 nation this could ruin the great rivalries we have (like in rugby and cricket)

2. sort of off the first point, I think becoming one nation sort of has the possibility of ruining that relationship we have? Just a hunch, nothing to base this on.
England and Scotland or whatever still play against each other, same as in the soccer world cups and such.

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
we could have a 3 way state of origin thing

and our world cup team in cricket, union and league would be unbeatable. i could see league dying out completely as an international sport because we would dominate so badly

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
believe it

edit: i only read 'socially progressive' and ur other lbgt acron. bs and i just ran with it

Last edited:

Jaylee42003

HSC
Noooooooooo way. I repulse this idea. Apart from laws and some aspects of culture, Australia is completely different to NZ. Leave NZ alone, I say.
Plus we already have trade and migration agreements between the two; lets just leave it at that.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Want to make Australia even more of a pathetically run shithole, then sure, great idea!

murphyad

HSC
As an expat Kiwi I take exception to the idea of being subjugated by a nation of pie-eating, trash-talking bogans......... :D

But on a serious note, I think it would be a bad idea. New Zealand has developed it's own national culture in the intervening century and I think we should remember that. I mean, would France merge with Germany simply because it was in close proximity and made economic sense?

Jaylee42003

HSC
As an expat Kiwi I take exception to the idea of being subjugated by a nation of pie-eating, trash-talking bogans......... :D

But on a serious note, I think it would be a bad idea. New Zealand has developed it's own national culture in the intervening century and I think we should remember that. I mean, would France merge with Germany simply because it was in close proximity and made economic sense?
Exactly.
NZ is no longer physically joined with Australia for a reason.

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
Never!

I want some place nice and peaceful that will remain unspoiled by the Australian way of government and politics especially our American style fear and hysteria.

Actually, I say we become the 51st state, that way at least we will have a constitutional right to guns, get a bill of rights, stop having to kow tow to the Queen, pay less taxes and get DOMESTIC postage rates when ordering from CONUS!
Hahahahahahahahahaha hahahaha haha ha... you're joking, right? Please tell me you're joking.

Want to make Australia even more of a pathetically run shithole, then sure, great idea!
Well I do.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Apparently France and Britain secretly urged Soviet Russia to militarily intervene to prevent the fall of the Berlin wall bc they preferred Soviet tyranny to the uncertainty of German reunification

murphyad

HSC
European Union is a trading bloc only. No alterations to sovereignty required such as in the physical merger I supposed. Hence: irrelevant.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

NoNoNONO
NO Concessions of British Sovereignty to the European Continent. Britain shall not submit to European pressure

banco55

HSC
Why would it make economic sense? They have lagged behind Australia for quite some time economically. They'd be a drain on the treasury if anything.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
They are technically a 2nd world country u know...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)