To drop or not to drop... (1 Viewer)

oliviaclaire

HSC
I am in Year 11 and I am starting to think about which subject I should drop (apart from Earth and Environmental Science). I really want to drop Maths completely even though I am in Mathematics (or 2-Unit as some people call it) but I want to know if it will affect my ATAR/UAI and some outsider information would be useful! I am doing really well in my other subjects but am failing Maths! Help!

I need a pretty high ATAR- about 98.45! (this is for a Media and Communications degree at Sydney Uni).

I am currently doing Advanced English, English Extension 1, Modern History, Ancient History, Legal Studies, Earth and Environmental Studies, Studies of Religion and Mathematics.

I am keeping Advanced English, English Extension 1, Modern History, Ancient History, Legal Studies and Studies of Religion.

I am also going to pick up English Extension 2 and History Extension (maybe).

Any advice would be appreciated!!!

UPDATE!!!: I had a meeting with a teacher who gave me an ATAR estimate and I would do fine without it, I just need to get a Band 6 in EVERY subject. So it is fine for me to drop and that's what I am going to do.

Thankyou again everyone for your advice!

Last edited:

clue444

HSC
Either way, if you're worst mark is mathematics, it won't count into your 10 units. If you think you're not good in Mathematics then I'd say drop it and focus on your other subjects, because there will be no point doing it for the extra 2 units.

oliviaclaire

HSC
Yea, that's what I was thinking. I just wanted some extra information before I talk to my teachers at school.

Thanks!

speedofsound

HSC
if you're failing, drop it. it won't affect your atar at all if you're doing well in your other subjects. it WILL affect your atar if you just have 10 units and end up failing it in the HSC.

sanss

HSC
As has been said - if it's not going to get you any extra marks and you don't enjoy it - drop it.

But are you taking anything up ?

tash-xo

HSC
wow this sounds very similar to my predicament...
I'm currently studying:
English Adv
English Ext
Mathematics 2 unit
Biology
Economics
Modern History
SOR1

- I am considering picking up either ext2 eng or ext hist (or both).
- I despise math and have avoided all homework until recently. Strangely, I'm not failing yet (big emphasis on "yet").
- I want 10 - 11 units

Unfortunately, that's as far as my thought process goes, I've collaborated the facts and now i'm confounded! I really need help but I've found that my teachers provide very bias opinions. Assistance please!

I also want to do B Arts (Media and Communications) at Sydney Uni so i don't need math for that particular course...

oliviaclaire

HSC
wow this sounds very similar to my predicament...
I'm currently studying:
English Adv
English Ext
Mathematics 2 unit
Biology
Economics
Modern History
SOR1

- I am considering picking up either ext2 eng or ext hist (or both).
- I despise math and have avoided all homework until recently. Strangely, I'm not failing yet (big emphasis on "yet").
- I want 10 - 11 units

Unfortunately, that's as far as my thought process goes, I've collaborated the facts and now i'm confounded! I really need help but I've found that my teachers provide very bias opinions. Assistance please!

I also want to do B Arts (Media and Communications) at Sydney Uni so i don't need math for that particular course...

Well, nice to know I'm not alone! I have an appointment with a teacher who is in charge of subject management and stuff next week so I guess I'll find out what she says. She's going to do a ATAR estimation calculation thing and give me some advice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)