To drop or not to drop? (1 Viewer)

hamnake

HSC
I am currently contemplating dropping ext 1 english, as I have not performed well for the HSC exams of the course thus far. Our class only has 9-10 people, but I think i may be ranked last at the moment. The decision is really hard to make and everyone I ask for advice tells me that the pros and cons are pretty level, so I'm hoping I can get some solid advice on here. Last year the subject was my best, and I was ranked 2nd. I currently do a total of 11 units; chem, bio, eco, eng adv and maths std 2. Im doing pretty well in all of them, other than in chem where i fall within the average.
Thanks in advance!

quickoats

HSC
Scaling between eng x1 and eng adv is not that much different. However, allegedly it is easier to land an E4 in x1 vs adv.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I think you should probably keep English Extension. Since you have 11 units, I feel like it would be better to keep that 11th unit rather than to drop it because you never know what can happen and whether you might need it. The trial and HSC exams are yet to be done, meaning there's a great opportunity for you to turn things around.

Alternatively, you should probably drop English Extension, particularly if you're spending too much time on the subject and are not getting the results you want. In that case, you're better off spending the time you allocate towards 3U English on your remaining 10 units, allowing you to maintain your good performance in your subjects and hopefully improve in Chemistry to be in a good position as the HSC exam approaches.

I hope this helps! 😄

idkkdi

HSC
Scaling between eng x1 and eng adv is not that much different. However, allegedly it is easier to land an E4 in x1 vs adv.
adv scales better than x1.

but ye e4 in x1 is easier than adv for a lot of people. u get more time to write things and there's less to write, so it's easier to pop off, as there's only 2 x 25 markers most of the time.

satvik_1008

HSC
I am currently contemplating dropping ext 1 english, as I have not performed well for the HSC exams of the course thus far. Our class only has 9-10 people, but I think i may be ranked last at the moment. The decision is really hard to make and everyone I ask for advice tells me that the pros and cons are pretty level, so I'm hoping I can get some solid advice on here. Last year the subject was my best, and I was ranked 2nd. I currently do a total of 11 units; chem, bio, eco, eng adv and maths std 2. Im doing pretty well in all of them, other than in chem where i fall within the average.
Thanks in advance!
i feel like you should drop Extension 1. We have to remember that English is a highly variable subject, and performance in prelim is not an indicator of HSC performance (in fact your current marks are a better indicator since they are on the same texts to be examined in trials + hsc). If you are comming last in the cohort, and you are sure that you are probably not going to make an E4, and you aren't doing too bad in your other subjects, than definetly drop.

Don't keep an extra unit as a "backup" if you know its probably not gonna count and its gonna be ur worst unit. If there is uncertainty (ie if ur beasting all ur subjects) by all means keep all 11, but if you are sure you are not doing as well in English Extension, drop it and go all in with ur other 10 units, after all only those were going to count to ur ATAR anyways.
In my opinion, toprovide an educated opinion on whether you should drop, it may be nessecary to know how well ur going in ur other subjects

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)