To drop out or to deffer? (1 Viewer)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi!

I'm currently doing B/Laws & /Arts at UWS Parra, and to be honest, i have no interest in Law and i really don't like it - i chose law purely because i got the marks for it (87.25 ATAR), and because i wanted to do a course that wouldnt be hard to find a job with post-uni.

I've decided that i cant stand law and want to change, now i don't know how to do this? If i just flat drop out of uni, will i be able to Apply this September and start again next year? To be honest i'd rather try and start in the mid year intake (if possible?). I'm looking at doing journalism, communications, advertising, industrial design... i dunno, just something creative and less dry - i'm a creative artistic person & law isn't for me...

What options do i have?
lol

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
A sticky situation. Do you have a job? If you do then my advice is to defer for a year (or a semester), then apply for another degree. Once you get accepted, then you can drop out uws entirely.

Dolce_Vita

HSC
I have a job, but only at Maccas so nothing great...

I think i might just stick with it and change at the end of the year.. the only thing is that i'm worried i wont get good enough marks to change :/

HSC
a semester of fails will get you into another degree elsewhere - do this semester, defer the next and then just your ATAR will count...

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
I have a job, but only at Maccas so nothing great...

I think i might just stick with it and change at the end of the year.. the only thing is that i'm worried i wont get good enough marks to change :/
That's the problem lol..I am not sure at what point ATAR become less relevant. Yours is not bad and it'd be a shame if it was 'contaminated' by your uni results. Just ask around or goto uni websites to be sure.

twenty12

HSC
If someone were to fail an assessment in a subject does that stay on academic record if you were to defer or drop out before the census date?

izzy88

HSC
If someone were to fail an assessment in a subject does that stay on academic record if you were to defer or drop out before the census date?
Subjects dropped before the census date do not appear on your official academic transcript at all (which is all another institution would/could look at).

Moldy81

UWS Course Info
HSC
Hi, You have two options. You can either continue with the course for this semester and then apply for an internal transfer into your preferred course. For more information on internal transfers and how they work, please contact Student Central on 1300 668 370. Alternatively, you can choose to withdraw from the course and then re-apply for mid-year entry via UAC. Mid-year applications will be opening on Wednesday 4th April. Please note that not all courses are available for mid-year entry. I would think the best option would be to go with the internal transfer, because if you withdraw from the course now and then find out that the course you preferred is not being offered mid-year, you would have to wait until August to be able to apply for 2013. Please also note that 31st March is the census date, so if you have not withdrawn from the course by then, you will be charged for the units. For further information on fees and the census date, please also contact Student Central. Best regards, UWS Course Info

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Internet_Police is a troll. Don't worry too much about him. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)