To get into pharmacy... (1 Viewer)

SrdidJive

HSC
is STAT 50/50 with UAI or do you just have to pass and your UAI determines if you get in?

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
SrdidJive said:
is STAT 50/50 with UAI or do you just have to pass and your UAI determines if you get in?
At usyd it's just your UAI, STAT is used for non-school leavers, mature students, etc.

However, STAT is used for all applicants at CSU Orange.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Are you sure?

cos im pretty sure its STAT as a hurdle.. then UAI.. for USYD Pharm

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
http://www.pharm.usyd.edu.au/future_students/cw_degrees/reg_degree/index.shtml

My mistake, my friend was rural and therefore did not have to sit stat last year.

Yes you need to achieve 150 or better in stat.

"Entry to the Bachelor of Pharmacy is competitive. The standard required for entry to Pharmacy in 2008 was:

For HSC Students and Recent School leavers

Successful STAT (at least 150/200)
Very good UAI (93.15)

For Tertiary Record Holders

Successful STAT (at least 150/200)
Very good tertiary record in at least one year of full-time study at Bachelor’s degree level (or part-time equivalent). The UAI is not considered if an applicant has a tertiary record equivalent to one fulltime year or more.

Special Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT)

Applicants for Pharmacy applying through the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC) are required to achieve a satisfactory result in the Multiple Choice version of the STAT. The two hour test assesses verbal and quantitative reasoning skills and requires no special preparation. To guarantee consideration for Main Round offers in 2009, applicants must sit for the STAT no later than Saturday 6 December 2008. In NSW the STAT is administered by the UAC. For full details about the STAT and the registration form, please refer to the 2009 UAC Guide or UAC-STAT. Interstate applicants please click here. All Australian citizens are required to sit the STAT even if residing overseas. Please click here for overseas locations and dates for the STAT.

Assumed Knowledge: Mathematics, Chemistry and Biology or Physics

Bridging courses are available at The University of Sydney for students who have not studied one (or more) of these subjects to enable them to reach the required level of assumed knowledge before the commencement of the academic year."

Last edited:

SrdidJive

HSC
Ok.

Say if someone got 150/200 for stat, but an excellent UAI, like 96
And another got like 190/200, but a weaker UAI, like 93
Who would get in (if it was tight)?

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
they use that stat to lower the number of candidates... someone could get a UAI of 99.95, and a stat score of 149, the commitee therefore would not consider this particular student...this is how it works...
e.g. you have a stat score of 170, and a UAI of 96, the first thing the selection commitee will do is go through the list knocking out candidates with a lower stat score thn required. After that they then go down the list selecting candidates based on their UAI score until they have filled all places... now, i could be wrong however, i see this as the most logical method. If there is a tie between candidates, they will look into your work experience, activities etc to find that extra effort made on your behalf
pologise if the above information doesn't make sense but that's because I am currently drugged, drunk and probably wrong

SrdidJive

HSC
Ah. OK

I thought maybe by passing STAT, it 'qualified' you to get into pharmacy.
But then your UAI was what determined if you are better than another candidate----> (ie. the STAT score doesn't really matter as long as you pass).

lala2

Banned
HSC
Yeah, STAT is a hurdle. After that, it's UAI only. But seriously, if you are smart enough to get that kind of UAI, you should be right for STAT. It's very basic English and maths skills.

AznAssassin

~*BANKAI*~ Member
HSC
Pharmacy is a rather easy course to get into consider:

(ALL 2009)

UQ: OP4 (UAI 94)
CSU: OP10 (UAI 70)
GRiffith Uni: OP6 (UAI 90)

Hope this helps ^^

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
The UAI for CSU is 70 now??! It was 93 for Wagga and 90 for Orange when I did my HSC, but they dropped the UAI because there was a significant drop in applicants for the degree last year.

CSU is really good if you want to be trained to work in rural and remote areas, thats where its focus is. Yeah you can work in metro areas, but most allied health degrees like Pharm at CSU prepare you for work in rural areas.

SrdidJive

HSC
Nah, CSU was around 80 last year (which is till pretty low)
but the year before it was like 90.45, so not sure what it will be this year,
hope it's mid-80s...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)