• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

To john's or not to john's??? (1 Viewer)

shibbylibby

HSC
Hey fellow/future anu'er-s.... there seems to be alot of gossip going on surrounding john's ...there my first preference for college ...should i be afraid? and is anyone else out there planning on going to john's or is currently at john's? :)

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Johns was the cheapest college on campus in 2008. This year they're ramping up the prices to around Burgmann and Unilodge's level. IMO the extra expense coupled with the bad company and awful food is a deal breaker.

Sammy-Blue

HSC
- Food has gotten better since we got new chef.
- You'll get bad company in any college, although I'll be the first to admit that Johns has a stereotype that would attract more of it (depending on who's side you're on). They are hardly the majority of people who live there.
- Fees increase; we got a notice explaining why it's happening...yeah, I'm not going to try to defend it. I won't complain if they can provide most of what they outlined before I move out.

E

efast

John's is more of a boys college in ANU, very testerone charged, HTH

garrybarry

HSC
I have a few friends planning to go to ANU this year. They've all avoided Johns for some reason. They have friends there now (they took a gap year like me), and have been told by them not to go to Johns. What sort of rep does it have on campus? Other than being a boys club? The friends there now a generally into sports, but just don't seem to like the type of company Johns attracts. I'd love to know people's experiences who live in Canberra.

Sammy-Blue

HSC
In general, I don't like the type of company Johns supposedly attracts either. People are oblivious to the fact that Johns actually has alot of quieter, less testosterone charged people as well. It is the minority that frequent inter-hall activites that continue the stereotype, not the rest of us who show up because we actually have an interest in the event. But I guess that's why Johns will continue to have a bad rep.

garrybarry

HSC
I've also heard UL can be anti social. Reading the FAQ thread there's a lot of "excluding UL". Such as in reference to SRs and Committies. Doesn't UL have any organisation? Are they included in the "College" aspect of ANU, like for sports and stuff? So far from reading and talking to people I've heard nothing bad about Bruce or B&G (I haven't heard anything bad about UL first hand, just on these forums) Does anybody here actually stay there? I'd love to get first hand knowledge. I mean I understand it's new, especially they yet unopened UL, but surely they would have organised some sort of structure by now. The FAQ probably just needs updating though. UL is on my prefs. All this talk about UL should probably go in a different thread though lol.

garrybarry

HSC
Well that doesn't sound that bad at all. Kind of like a frat initiation type thing. I like it. But I still wouldn't like to live there, considering other things I've heeard.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
If Johns wasn't so expensive I'd recommend it to first years. Bruce used to be a fantastic balance between partying, study and inter-hall activities. There was always something interesting on, and there was never any pressure to participate. The latest head/dean however, who is being replaced in 2009 has treated residents like high school students and killed alot of Bruce's spirit through over-regulation. Now we're the social justice/Green Shield college. I think 2009 will decide whether the new Head and our cashed up social committee can turn things around. Of all the colleges on campus now, Johns may have actually pipped Bruce for having the best balance of different activities.

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
apply for johns even if you don't want to go just to get an interview with the chick who is head of accomodation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)