• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

To risky to miss 1 chem lecture a week? (1 Viewer)

Tim035

HSC
I've fiddled around with my timetable allllll dam day and have reached a dilema.
On mondays from 1-2pm I've got an overlap between a maths tutorial and chem lecture. The only one I can move is the maths but that would then mean having to go to Uni on tuesdays from 10-11am for that maths tut and then 6-7pm for a non moveable SCIF lecture (I live an hour and a half away from campus).

How disadvantaged would I be missing 1 chem lecture a week? Is it something I could possible sought out by talking to someone in the science department?

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
1 chem lecture isnt that bad, just at least you work consistently at home
man you could turn up to no lectures at all, and still do reasonably good, just at least you do your tute questions and know your concepts

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Depends on what level the subject is (1st year etc), but generally one missed lecture is nothing to worry about. However it's advisable to try and turn up to all of them if possible, and I would only advise missing a lecture if there is an unresolvable clash.

aussiechica7

HSC
if u can get the lecture powerpoints/whatever online, u'll b right. srsly. so much of it is boring and u'll fall asleep anyway.

did u do chem in high school?

just get the text and study the hour's worth of material u missed. MUCH more efficient than a 3 hour return trip + 1 hour lecture at uni :)

G

Gavvvvvin

Don't worry about missing it. You'll soon realise that uni inst as hard as you thought it would be, and you'll soon be skipping lectures left, right and center.

cuppy

HSC
N/A
i hope that is true. on monday i have a two hour lecture straight up from 9am-11am, a one hour break, THEN 3 consecutive lectures from going from 12pm-1pm, 1pm-2pm and finally 2pm-3pm!

would you say this is too much? or would it be bearable?

four lectures in a day... making a total of 5 hours. i've heard of people in worse situations so should i just stick with what i've got?

gman03

HSC
look, just go to every lecture in the first week and then decide... don't worry too much even before uni starts. worry about your tutorial time instead.

As to the OP, I also live an hour or so away from home, and I've lived with 9am-7pm days with 5hrs of breaks. It is not a bad thing, just find something to do in the mean time.

You worry about waking up too early?

cuppy

HSC
N/A
so tutorials are more important than lectures? and would it be odd to have a tutorial before the actual lecture?

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
you usually have no tutorials during the first week, only lectures, so in the 2nd week where you have your first tute, it will go through previous week's work

Tim035

HSC
To answer a few questions, Yes I did Chem in HSC (got 88) and am planning to do higher chem first year. I've gotten the impression that if you are capable of doing a higher level of the subject you should, however doing fundamental chem and seeing if those times work out any better is something I'm yet to fiddle around with.
What would fundamental chemistry limit me to in further years? I'm already doing Math1031 as I only did 2unit math in HSC. What grabs my interest currently is Pathology, pharmocology and phsiology.
I'm not worried about having to get up early, just the fact that I'd have this 8 hour gap in the middle of the day where I'm meant to amuse myself. I suppose I could get a lot of work done in that time meaning I wouldn't have to come home and do more study after my 6-7pm lecture.
Oh yeah, Something else I'm interested in hearing a bit about is what do you do in lab for CHEM and BABS first year? And why are they 3 hours long?!

G

Gavvvvvin

Chem labs are murder. You usually have a whole heap of questions to answer and you have to work pretty damn fast to get all your work done. If your anything like me you'll spend more time leeching your answers off other people rather than doing them yourself :eek:

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
I thought that Chem labs would kinda be like practicals in HSC Chem but with decent equipment. So like doing experiments to consolidate our understanding on the concepts we have absorbed in the lectures/tutes.

Same with other lab subjects(e.g. Phys,Bio).

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
Gavvvvvin said:
Chem labs are murder. You usually have a whole heap of questions to answer and you have to work pretty damn fast to get all your work done. If your anything like me you'll spend more time leeching your answers off other people rather than doing them yourself :eek:
haha id be the second to admit that :p

G

Gavvvvvin

A good chem tip is to get on the steam baths before everybody else :eek:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
DraconisV said:
I thought that Chem labs would kinda be like practicals in HSC Chem but with decent equipment. So like doing experiments to consolidate our understanding on the concepts we have absorbed in the lectures/tutes.
hahahhaah. I hardly see how chem pracs relates to the lectures most of the time. Most of the experiments are really different to the HSC Chem pracs. Most of them are quantitative and measure how much products you have got and calculations. And some titration stuff...

For BABS, you will be doing the effect of different conditions on enzyme activity. Some microscopy work, drawings etc. The lab is long because experiments take time, due to incubation periods. You will finish early in a number of weeks. Some labs have tests (3rd year courses have 4 hr labs - enjoy 1st year while you can :D).

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
4 hour labs, somebody shoot me. lol, 4 hours of doing lots of questions really fast. My hand, ahhh.

Tim035

HSC
Oh god no, not microscope drawings. I'm super retarded at those things haha lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)