To what extent can 'acing' the HSC improve your assessment mark? (1 Viewer)

TorMental

HSC
I've read people saying 'Acing the HSC', 'its 50%, you still got a chance', 'Its not over yet'.

Yes, the HSC is 50%, but how much significant difference can it make?

For example, say student A got 80% for internal assessment, but 90% in the external assessment. Would your effort and hard improvement be only 85% after averaging them out?

Or lets assume you just get similar internal and external assessments of say, 84 and 85 respectively. Will the actual HSC mark you receive be 84.5 for that particular scenario?

I understand that moderation works in accordance to rank, HSC performance of your cohort, etc etc. But I feel like the HSC, despite any major improvements from a 'wouldbe' external, there is a feeling of hindrance in terms of your internal assessment. (Like it is draggin you down regardless of how much you improve).

Like the most I predict I can improve is 3-5 marks (even if I do well in the HSC, like 90+).

HSC
unfortunately yes

it will drag you down as the HSC is about consistency not how well you can go in the final exam

however, with that being said, if your cohort does do well and/or you do well, there's no telling how much you can improve your mark

herbs1

HSC
What the hell man? Your hsc:
- determines 50% of your mark: You may get a moderated internal mark of 80, but if you get 70 in the hsc, you're screwed. Additionally, if you get 90, and they average to 85, a 5 mark increase in a subject is pretty large tbh, so its worth it
- determines how your internal marks are moderated...sum of your cohorts hsc marks from the exam = sum of moderated internal marks, so the better you guys do externally, the better you do internally.

enoilgam

HSC
Or lets assume you just get similar internal and external assessments of say, 84 and 85 respectively. Will the actual HSC mark you receive be 84.5 for that particular scenario?
In that case the HSC mark would be rounded to 85. Acing the externals can bring your ATAR up by a fair bit, but people shouldnt overestimate the extent to which they can help. In my opinion, an external mark 8 marks higher then your internal mark is an "ace" performance. In that situation, your final mark would only be increased by 4 marks.

SpreadTheWord

HSC
Yes the HSC aims at consistency, but does it reward it....NO. You can study your bloody arse off throughout the year ace all of the 15% exams, but come trials that weight like 45%/ 50% you screw up for the first time. Then person B, does shite throughout, flukes the trials, and waaheyyy nicks your place. It's counter productive, but depends on how you percieve it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)