to what extent is ranking important? (1 Viewer)

theycallmebob

HSC
If you are in Year 12, then I wouldn't see the point in doing this nor would any school really accept you at this stage. Why does it matter what school, you attend? Attain a solid rank and everything else is negated.

Albeit ranking 10+ in a 490 school would be hard to transfer into Ruse, Baulko and etc.
yr 12 starts next term. i am in yr 11. i don't rank 10+ thats just a scenario. i don't know what i rank...

Serenely

HSC
i dont know, prelims are next week. theres probably only a few people in the year who are actually intelligent, so i think 1st to 3rd place is an easy goal. but if there is ANY advantage in going to a selective school as far as moderation is concerned, then i would change schools. i can't afford to loose any ATAR points
That's a good question! I don't really know... it depends on the school. What school do you want to transfer to?
Right now, focus on getting that #1 rank. Then ace your externals.

Edit: Oh... you don't know your current rank. Few good selective schools accept new students in year 12... And the bad selective schools aren't really worth going to. If you went to bad selective school, you'd still have to be ranked highly to achieve a 99+ ATAR.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Transferring schools and expecting to do better is really naive. You're not just going to magically and immediately improve because you go to a new school.

Your ranking will be even worse in that school with better students. So the best you can do is just do the best you can now. If you want 99+ and go to a rank 490 school and are not ranked 1st in 10 units including 2 of English... then you're not getting 99. Simple.

theycallmebob

HSC
so if i achieve the same marks and apply the same concentration and commitment, my ATAR should be more or less the same regardless of my school?

theycallmebob

HSC
If you want 99+ and go to a rank 490 school and are not ranked 1st in 10 units including 2 of English... then you're not getting 99. Simple.
are you saying strictly 1st? in EVERY unit? what about 2nd and 3rd? i doubt I'm THE smartest person in all my subjects

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
are you saying strictly 1st? in EVERY unit? what about 2nd and 3rd? i doubt I'm THE smartest person in all my subjects
If you can't even get 1st in a rank 490 school where the candidature is relatively 'dumb' compared to others in all subjects - how do you expect to be in the top 1% or so of the state with an ATAR of 99+?

theycallmebob

HSC
If you can't even get 1st in a rank 490 school where the candidature is relatively 'dumb' compared to others in all subjects - how do you expect to be in the top 1% or so of the state with an ATAR of 99+?
yeah i guess, but if there is one or two people who also get extremely good marks, and overtake me just a tiny bit, would it make much difference? like if i already got extraordinary marks but so did a couple of others?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
how is it impossible? i need to get around 90-95% in everything. at ruse the median ATAR is above 99
Yes, but do you go to James Ruse?

yeah i guess, but if there is one or two people who also get extremely good marks, and overtake me just a tiny bit, would it make much difference? like if i already got extraordinary marks but so did a couple of others?
If they get good marks and overshadow you a bit, you're going to be disadvantaged somewhat in the moderation of school marks race - which could potentially put your ATAR down a bit. 99+ is very difficult to get. Understand that. It's not par for the course for most people. You have to be the best, or near the best - and if you're ranked 2nd or 3rd in a rank 490 school - then you have to wonder about the person ranked 93 out of 100 at James Ruse or whatever who is still smarter than you at that subject and is definitely gonna get 99+. Those 99+ ATAR spots fill quickly.

The question you should be asking is: How can I take away that spot from those who are seemingly destined to get it?

You have very tough competition to get into those higher echelons. So don't expect it unless you're the best at your school and you're very, very good at your subjects. Note the plural.

HSC
Uni Grad
oh... i don't know, it wouldn't be much, its not a very good school. maybe low 90s?
exactly

your current cohort will most likely perform similarly

that means the top atar will be around 95, and since you're not first you'll be around 92-93 atar

theycallmebob

HSC
exactly

your current cohort will most likely perform similarly

that means the top atar will be around 95, and since you're not first you'll be around 92-93 atar
i havnt actually started yr12 yet so that's still to be found out

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)