To write notes or no notes? (1 Viewer)

diladial

gone ghost
HSC
Many people have been asking me if writing notes is effective or just a waste of time, because you end up reading the textbook to 'study' rather than those notes. And would you type your notes of hand write them???

Can I get a few opinions???? Thanks.

duhdevitt

HSC
handwrite, just make sure you absorb the content when writing notes

Flop21

HSC
I have no idea how you would study without writing notes...

Notes allow you to have basically a record of the things you need to know - and it's something you can read over and revise - and it will be enough to do well. Textbooks usually have tonnes of excess info - and I've personally never used a textbook to study other than to write my notes.

Don't handwrite your notes. At least that's my opinion. I have no idea why you would hand write them - when typing is more efficient and you get to format everything so you can study more easily and better.

I subconsciously absorb the content as I'm writing. When I write my notes I basically get up maybe 5 different other people's notes and gets bits of pieces of each one to make the 'best' answer in my own notes. This gets me thinking what I need to know and what's relevant. My brain seems to remember this so when I'm in a test or doing work I recognise and remember what I wrote in my notes.

Soo I would just type up my notes. I said to myself I would update my notes every week but have not started on most of my subjects :( So I suggest start writing if you haven't already because it takes forever if you do it all at once.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
depends on the subject

Me personally typed everything. Best thing is to write all the class notes, and then summarise typing up.
e.g.
English - typed
Maths - class notes only
Chemistry - class notes were already typed by teacher anyway
Physics - started typed, most of them ended being handwritten, although a large chunk exist as .jpeg files (as I missed several lessons)
Japanese - vocabulary list in excel, use tables for grammar structures...

GENERAL TIPS
Sciences - yes: since it is based heavily on the syllabus, yes do make notes of every syllabus dot-point. Do past papers
Maths - no: apart from class notes, don't bother. do past papers and questions.
English - optional: put together a couple of good examples (as much as you could remember) and practice essays.
HSIE - yes: most of these subjects are like English in that they require, summaries where possible, practice essays. Depends on what is specified.
Languages - yes: put together a vocabulary list in Excel, or flashcards; and in Chinese/Japanese flashcards/tables for characters. Practice questions
Other skills e.g. Music - no, just practice
Major work e.g. Software. D&T - for software, yes, everything else probably only brief needed, then again depends on the course.
Visual Arts - probably a good idea
Engineering - yes
IPT - yes

That said you can use other people's notes.

Mikasa

HSC
Writing notes helps with memory retention & making info more readily accessible to you. But that being said, for subjects like maths and to an extent history (there's way too much info... might as well write essays & essay plans), making notes can also be a form of procrastination.

Kaido

be.
HSC
Find what works for you. Try no notes for one semester and with notes the other (only if you're in prelim, don't take risks during HSC lol).
I personally never write anything - I just sit in class, absorb information and process what the teacher is saying. Then I go home and grind homework + research concepts + past papers (If i'm bothered).
So yeah :D

wishingstars

HSC
Personally, I think every student works differently :) so do what you feel most comfortable with.
I feel most students do it because it feels sort of like a safety net - because sometimes even the best notes you buy from past students might not cover new changes to a syllabus.

For maths, my teacher taught in a way so that we had formulas + examples written in exercise books (so whenever I needed help for particular Qs, I would flip through it) - those were essentially my "notes".
For english, I typed + wrote in class (some people can absorb just by listening but I found it much easier if I was recording something down - even if some of it is useless later on, you may be able to extract useful things later on!)
For chem + legal, I started off making notes and then I stopped (I think I ran out of time later on - but for chem, class + tutor notes worked well enough, and legal - I think I actually should've been avid in note-making. Humanities subjects - I would recommend you make notes because they usually require updated cases, stats etc.

Hope this helps! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)