Today - Faculty Info (1 Viewer)

D.Larie

I'm sure everybody got this email:

Hi to all the new faces!
Please remember that the Faculty Welcome is tomorrow, 24th of February, at 9.30am in the Guthrie Theatre - DAB building (building 6 in Harris Str, level 3). Heaps of important information and a chance to meet all your peers.
See you there!
Please post any "important information" you found out today.
I couldn't go.
Can anyone post some info about the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences?
Anything interesting or positive?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I got to be one of the "current students" who got to talk to the journo students... I had nothing prepared and rambled on lol. It was so random lol.

I wouldn't stress too much because they will tell you what they require in each of your subjects next week. I think that the faculty welcome is to more give you a "feel" for the faculty, get you enthused about your course and tell you about the opportunities UTS has to offer. Most of the important info you will find out subject by ssubject next week.

D.Larie

fire away, I was asking for any new info given out today.

Thanks braindrainedAsh, I'm looking forward to it! :)

*Erika*

HSC
um...we have a changed schedual for 2nd week for our tutes coz we have library training or something...

um...go to www.bell.uts.edu.au....or a site similar to that to learn about referencing...v. important apparently...

bring a jumper to lectures...

join the student association and become a cliche' protesting uni student...

join clubs to make friends and stuff

start work experience as soon as you can...

don't plagerise...

we have our own faculty lounge...its where all the cool kids hang out..

there are counsellers and health and finance services available...

um....go on exchange, its fun...i was planning on it anyway...

don't put work over your study...

1 hour in class = 3 hours work at home

don't leave things to the last minute...

books go from the library fast, so get in early

um...first year is ungraded...its either pass or fail..

readers and textbook lists you get on the first day in your subject outline or something...

um.........

yeah, i didn't really write anything down...but yeah...thats a few things

Jinglebell

HSC
We got the same sort of advice, but let me disillusion you all a little...
*Erika* said:
bring a jumper to lectures...
Hell yes, even on those days when you feel like you'll melt, they keep the lecture theatres (espcially the big one in building 4) a nice chilly 16 degrees or something...I think it's an attempt to keep us awake:p
*Erika* said:
we have our own faculty lounge...its where all the cool kids hang out..
Literally cool, as in the air-con there is worse than the lectures. Actually, all of building 3 is always freezing, but I tried to read a book in the faculty lounge once, in summer, and my hands went numb from the cold. I don't know anyone who spends time there for fun, I recommend the Loft.
*Erika* said:
1 hour in class = 3 hours work at home
Or not. I guess I could have done that much work at home...sometimes...if I could actually be bothered...most of the time you will do the readings on the way to uni.
*Erika* said:
don't leave things to the last minute...
Good on you if you don't, but my biggest comfort as I wrote essays at two in the morning was that I knew half of the faculty was probably up with me:) In my experience there will be maybe three stressheads/mature-age students who have things done a week in advance, no one else is that motivated.
*Erika* said:
books go from the library fast, so get in early
Or just phone/visit a friend from another uni and get the same book from their library, where there aren't 300 people trying to do the same assignment. Also use online journal databases, they're useful at home as well as uni.

My number one tip for uni: find a source of coffee, a good lunch place and find out when happy hour is. Your life will be made just that little bit easier.

And I think I'll stop being a bad influence on the enthusiastic first-years now:D

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
LOL.... three hours work for every one hour at class? That's the funniest thing I have heard this week lol.

I would be lucky to do three hours work out of class in a week, let alone per hour of class lol!!!!!

I was seriously tempted to give directions to the Loft and the Clare in my little talk for the journo students, but decided against it.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Loft.... see ugly staircase that comes off the side of the tower (near the walkway to Bon Marche)... walk down, follow signs.

Clare... stand out front of tower... look across the road.... see pub... cross the road.

monzi

HSC
---

Correct me if I’m wrong, because I don’t want to start at UTS on Monday and get lost.

Does this mean

Building 6 - Peter Johnson Building (DAB)
Level 3
Room 28

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Yup, thats right. It's the large lecture theatre in Building 6. It's called Gutherie Theatre.

Jinglebell

HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
Clare... stand out front of tower... look across the road.... see pub... cross the road.
And I always find it amusing that, due to the pub being directly across from the tower, we choose to risk our lives crossing Broadway rather than waste critical boozing time to walk to one of the two crossings within 100m. The things we do for alcohol...
monzi said:
Correct me if I’m wrong, because I don’t want to start at UTS on Monday and get lost.

Does this mean

Building 6 - Peter Johnson Building (DAB)
Level 3
Room 28
Yes. Well done! Although they'll drill the room number system into your head at every lecture next week until you'd rather stab yourself in the eye with a rusty nail than listen to it again.

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
Jinglebell said:
Yes. Well done! Although they'll drill the room number system into your head at every lecture next week until you'd rather stab yourself in the eye with a rusty nail than listen to it again.
Ha. I didn't realise level 3 in building 6 was the level you walked in on. :eek:
But the DAB tour was screwed. The guy walked us up and down stairs, stood in front of this sign that had this huge "6" on it, and said: "This is level 5". And then the rest of the time he spoke so quietly that only the guy up the front could hear him.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Jinglebell said:
And I always find it amusing that, due to the pub being directly across from the tower, we choose to risk our lives crossing Broadway rather than waste critical boozing time to walk to one of the two crossings within 100m. The things we do for alcohol...
So true.... because I live in housing, I have almost been killed by croszing the road (brodway) in a drunken stupor.... actually it almost happen five minutes ago coming home from a big party.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)