• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Too many essay based subjects? (1 Viewer)

draksteel

HSC
I am considering giving Ext.Hist a go, however i am currently doing Modern, Ancient, English ADV, Economics and Mathematics.

All of which with the exception of maths involve heavy amounts of essay writing, do you think adding Hist.Ext onto my workload will be too much?

If i do decide to take it however, i will be doing 11 units so i would be able to drop it anytime. However i dont want to waste too much time on a subject only to drop it halfway through the year because its too hard or too much work :S

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
personally, i would prefer writing fifty essays to one hour of maths.
the workload is less of a burden if you enjoy what your doing, history ext is usually a subject you pick because you enjoy history.

your in the best position to decide what is too much work.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
The HSC is all about playing to your strengths and interests. If you enjoy your subjects and have enough ability you will do well and be motivated to do the necessary work. If you are better at essays than other forms of assessment go for it. Most subjects involve some forms of essay anyway (in my French and Italian exams I had to do mini essays, IPT involved essays). There is really no such thing as too much, people told me doing French (Cont.) Italian (Beg), English (adv), Legal Studies and IPT involved too many languages and too many humanities based courses but they interested me and suited my abilities so I did well.

Best of luck in your decision!

lychnobity

HSC
In terms of cramming, I find it much easier to study for straightforward subjects such as chemistry, which have clearly set out dot points.

I'd also advise you to take your writing speed, and rote learning skill into consideration.

Ultimately, base your decision on what subject you enjoy.

absorber

HSC
I am considering giving Ext.Hist a go, however i am currently doing Modern, Ancient, English ADV, Economics and Mathematics.

All of which with the exception of maths involve heavy amounts of essay writing, do you think adding Hist.Ext onto my workload will be too much?

If i do decide to take it however, i will be doing 11 units so i would be able to drop it anytime. However i dont want to waste too much time on a subject only to drop it halfway through the year because its too hard or too much work :S
Heheh/ you do...8 units of essay writing? I do 10.
It's not hard, and the benefits flow onto other subjects, I do modern ehist legal eco and 3u eng, + maths, that's 12u.
Not too much for me, though I'm not taking EE1 as seriously as I should. Ehist is a shitload of work though, you've got the major and then alota practice essay writing for the final exam. So if you think you'll enjoy it, do it.

0hNivlek

HSC
Hey~ i do 10 units of essay-type subjects and 2U of math. And not surprisingly i did the worst for maths and it wont count LOL.

Smile_Time351

HSC

Speaking from personal experience, given that I have reached the business end of my HSC year, I have to say that there is no such thing as too many essay based subjects, as long as you are in fact good at writing essays. I have nothing but essay based subjects, and it's worked well for me thus far. (Ranks= 1stx4 2ndx1 3rdx1) And as far as the 11th unit problem goes; I did exactly that with extension 2 english, dropping it just after the half yearlies, with no regrets whatsoever. It freed up a great deal of time, and yet I didn't feel like I had progressed so far that it was detracting from my other subjects. If you think you can manage it, it is better to pick it up, at least for Term 4, than to leave it. Give it a shot is my advice. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)