Top 200 Schools (Daily Telegraph) - 2007 (1 Viewer)

jessica.ann

HSC
Re: Top 200 Schools - 2007

moisis said:
Bahaha. Sorry. But with a question like that, you kind of had it coming. :p

Anyway, I must clarify. I said before that my school got no band 6's. I was mistaken. We got three. Top UAI 91, second was 81.

On an unrelated note, there are some private non-selective schools beating selective schools. Why is this? That the private schools offer a lot of scholarships, or aren't really non-selective, or just have really good resources/teachers? Or is it that those selective schools aren't that great?
alot of private schools are ahead of selective schools and many peoples parents prefer them to go to these skools over selective highs... i kno my parents did, i got into a selective high at didnt go.. soem ppl are look for a more all rounded school...
some private schools also advance their learnings and do things at least 1 year ahead of the curriculm, giving their students a head start..

if i had my time again i wud go to one of the top rivate schools.. id never send my children to a selective high

845753sghs34524

HSC

holey moley. my school came third...there is now so much pressure for hsc 2008 to get better than 2007...:(

good luck everyone! :wave:

lorikeet

New Year's Eve
HSC

lil-angeliz said:
QUESTION TO ALL:
if your grade is pretty dumb but your like the smart ones, would you get scaled down?
From what's been explained to me by my maths teacher, it can actually be better for you - your relative ranking with people in your class or whatever is really important to your eventual marks, so the higher you are, and the further away you are from the average, the better!

kelsinator

HSC

jessica.ann said:
alot of private schools are ahead of selective schools and many peoples parents prefer them to go to these skools over selective highs... i kno my parents did, i got into a selective high at didnt go.. soem ppl are look for a more all rounded school...
some private schools also advance their learnings and do things at least 1 year ahead of the curriculm, giving their students a head start..

if i had my time again i wud go to one of the top rivate schools.. id never send my children to a selective high
i went to a selective school and was an honours roll student with 99.25- selective schools are really no different to 'normal' public schools, except they cram intelligent students into one school, in order to make the standard of learning higher. I loved my selective school- it made you think without spoon-feeding you like most of the private schools. see, these results may seem to reflect that private schools give greater results but you must also consider that many parents believe the money they give to send their kids to a private school entitles their child to a high UAI, rather than gives them opportunities and facilities to earn one. this then leads to pressure on the school to provide higher UAIs, and thus teachers are taught to spoon-feed answers and cheat by doing things ahead of the curriculum- which is actually on the BOS site as banned through unfair adavantage. thus you'd expect public schools as a whole to be lower- but u must consider that there is a greater chance that those at selectuve and public schools earned their marks fairly, whilst this casts doubts on the marks of private school students. this is backed up with statistical analysis that shows private school students are much more likely to drop out of uni- especially out of those students that scored over 95- because they are left with only their mind and not the 'cheatsheets' of their teachers.
A lot of private schools equal more money with less indpendent thinking.
im not saying all of them, before you all get defensive, but just something to think about.

right back atcha- id never send my kids to a private school. lol

Phreak

HSC

cheltenham used to come like 16th...ah well

rooeys2

i like to laugh =)
HSC

lol fort st has bin droppin in ranks like bird poo every year

lovenotwar

HSC
166th.. well at at least we made the list.

went down like 40 places from last year though.

Last edited:

schokman

HSC
My school is 32!

What's wrong with selective schools? I go to one.. and I think its great! And my school is pretty well rounded...
Eerrk.. I wouldn't really wanna go to a private school... I mean.. why spend 10000 dollars a year to go to a private school when my parents can pay 100 bucks a year and I still get around the same education (and with the benefits of going to a selective school..scaling and whatnot) but without having to wear the private school blazers and whatnot :p
Ooo.. P.s. ... If you can't keep up good grades, do the private schools ask you to leave? Or is that just an old system that got kicked already?

MrWizard-14

HSC
wow lol that looks pretty good hey wat does it mean if your school is like in the top 100-200?

HSC
woo, my school is there. it's sort of near the bottom of the top 200 (it's 178), but at least it's not under that...

Taskan

HSC
yay, my school is in the top.....110, thought that there were more schools better than us, tbh

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
schokman said:
If you can't keep up good grades, do the private schools ask you to leave? Or is that just an old system that got kicked already?
They say they do at mine, but most the idiot kids are extremly rich (i dont know how that worked out) so very few of them have been expelled (im sure their parents bribe the school because if you get an average below 55 for two semesters in a row you are asked to leave, and some kids have had averages below 55 for years and are still here). There have been a couple expulsions though.

There are a few kids who are on probation at the moment and have to get an average of 75 in their half yearlys or theyll be asked to leave or repeat. Youd think that that wouldnt be too hard but these are people who couldnt even get 50.

I know what you are saying about private vs selective but im glad a go to a private school. When I was in year 6 i was an a selective (OC) class and i hated it because it was really just a bunch of kids vying for the teachers attention, so I decieded I wouldnt try out for any selective schools, but rather got a 75% scholarship to a private school, which does better than a lot of selective schools.

mele-3-4

HSC
164. Maitland Grossmann High School
EEEWWW.

you have got to be kidding.
my school is like 5 minutes away from grossmann and i have to go there for one of my subjects.

and my actual school didnt make the list -_-

that cant be a good thing..

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
mele-3-4 said:
EEEWWW.

you have got to be kidding.
my school is like 5 minutes away from grossmann and i have to go there for one of my subjects.

and my actual school didnt make the list -_-

that cant be a good thing..
yeah because schools are ranked by how geographically close they are to another school on the list

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A

kelsinator said:
i went to a selective school and was an honours roll student with 99.25- selective schools are really no different to 'normal' public schools, except they cram intelligent students into one school, in order to make the standard of learning higher. I loved my selective school- it made you think without spoon-feeding you like most of the private schools. see, these results may seem to reflect that private schools give greater results but you must also consider that many parents believe the money they give to send their kids to a private school entitles their child to a high UAI, rather than gives them opportunities and facilities to earn one. this then leads to pressure on the school to provide higher UAIs, and thus teachers are taught to spoon-feed answers and cheat by doing things ahead of the curriculum- which is actually on the BOS site as banned through unfair adavantage. thus you'd expect public schools as a whole to be lower- but u must consider that there is a greater chance that those at selectuve and public schools earned their marks fairly, whilst this casts doubts on the marks of private school students. this is backed up with statistical analysis that shows private school students are much more likely to drop out of uni- especially out of those students that scored over 95- because they are left with only their mind and not the 'cheatsheets' of their teachers.
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA you are such a tool

Yeah, at my private school my teacher sat next to me and we bribed the supervisor not to look and we constructed band 6 answers.

HSC
N/A
sorry if this seems like a dumb question

but how many schools are there in NSW?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)