Top Achievers in Course List (1 Viewer)

ZaraKu

HSC
Re: State Rankings

Update: I didn't get a rank in French like I had hoped, they all went to girls from private schools :(

simone.lee

HSC
Re: Top 20 in Course List

morning storm said:
2 explanations from 2 smart guys. makes sense. and yeah i heard BH had a really good modern teacher which explains something i guess.
yeh the baulko modern teacher is awesome....he was my modern tutor and i sucked at modern all year but i got 93 in the hsc and he helped me massively :)

Ajihood

HSC
I got 97 in Ancient History (97 assessment and 97 examination) Any ideas where I would be ranked in the state?

Just wondering as on board of studies it lists over 20 people but is there even 20 combinations above me? Im not listed.

Thanks for your help

lollypoplady

HSC
hey i got 97 and 97 aswell!! i would also really like to know where abouts i am ranked... i'm pretty sure the schools get >20 ranks??

Hysterik

HSC
Crap. Usually Sydney Girls gets 3/4 state rankings in French Extension. This year we got nothing. And I was ranked first... My teacher's pissedddd.

leoman

HSC
I got 96 in Visual Arts, just wondering if anyone knows where abouts I'd get placed for that.
Only 10 names were listed for it, but they were ranked individually from 1-10. This is odd, considering that potential marks above 96 are 97, 98, 99 and 100. One would think that, with only four marks to discriminate between the top 10 students, there would be multiple 1sts or 2nds.
By the looks of things, there could have been 3 or 4 97s or 98s, and still they discriminated between students and gave them their own ranks for what SHOULD be shared ranks.

Anyone actually understand what I'm getting at?
And if anyone on here actually hit the VA list or knows someone who did, would you know what they got?

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
"Where students have equal HSC marks, they are then ranked by the average of their examination marks and their assessment marks, each taken to one decimal place."

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Depends on the size of the subject's candidature.

Course candidature..............Maximum number of students reported
Greater than 10 000..................20
From 1001 to 10 000.................10
Less than or equal to 1000........5

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Rafy said:
Depends on the size of the subject's candidature.

Course candidature..............Maximum number of students reported
Greater than 10 000..................20
From 1001 to 10 000.................10
Less than or equal to 1000........5
And to briefly add to that, if your course is like 20 people or really small number only the top ranked person can get a mention.

That happned few times before. (especially with distinction courses few years back, I think it was little bit different this year)

dp624

HSC
lyounamu said:
And to briefly add to that, if your course is like 20 people or really small number only the top ranked person can get a mention.

That happned few times before. (especially with distinction courses few years back, I think it was little bit different this year)
Actually, I'm pretty sure that there are at least 5 for everything - regardless of candidature size

If there are less than 5 state rankers, it means that only those people got a Band6.

E.g. comparative lit a few years ago, only one person got a band 6.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
Actually, I'm pretty sure that there are at least 5 for everything - regardless of candidature size

If there are less than 5 state rankers, it means that only those people got a Band6.

E.g. comparative lit a few years ago, only one person got a band 6.
Oh I see.

Because I have seen so many 1sts from the past lists (there are like 2-3 1sts or 2nds from 2007 lists)

As they say, you always learn something!!! :p

elliewolfenden

HSC
leoman said:
I got 96 in Visual Arts, just wondering if anyone knows where abouts I'd get placed for that.
Only 10 names were listed for it, but they were ranked individually from 1-10. This is odd, considering that potential marks above 96 are 97, 98, 99 and 100. One would think that, with only four marks to discriminate between the top 10 students, there would be multiple 1sts or 2nds.
By the looks of things, there could have been 3 or 4 97s or 98s, and still they discriminated between students and gave them their own ranks for what SHOULD be shared ranks.

Anyone actually understand what I'm getting at?
And if anyone on here actually hit the VA list or knows someone who did, would you know what they got?
umm a friend was on it. she got 98 and was about 10th i think... but the thing is i got the same mark as she did... and wasnt on there haha so i dont really know how exactly that works out

Lazarus

Retired
HSC

lazyfrank said:
yeah that was me rkn i should 4 unit? did accelerated religion ndgot band 6 for that now im left with maths ext 1 and 2 physics pdhpe and adv eng

thoughts on whether i should do 4 unit with 100% 2 unit
If you have a passion and interest in mathematics or if you plan to study it at university or follow a career in mathematics, you should definitely consider taking the higher levels now so that you have a good foundation.

On the other hand, if you are only trying to maximise your UAI and don't want ever want to study or have a career in mathematics, I recommend against it.

These are the two options open to you:

(A) Keep your 100 scaled marks and focus your efforts on maximising the scaled marks for your remaining eight units. (Eight units of work.)

(B) Throw away your 100 scaled marks, work hard at four units of mathematics trying to make sure you get those 100 scaled marks back plus more, and also work hard at your other eight units. (Twelve units of work.)

Option B just seems silly to me.

Maybe the compromise is to keep your 100 scaled marks and take only Extension 1.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

^hm....

It sucks to be in his position (ironcially I am in his situation)

lazyfrank said:
yeah that was me rkn i should 4 unit? did accelerated religion ndgot band 6 for that now im left with maths ext 1 and 2 physics pdhpe and adv eng

thoughts on whether i should do 4 unit with 100% 2 unit
do it, do it, do it.

You are good enough really. On top of that, doing 4 Unit will greatly benefit you in terms of UAI.

If you don't do 4 Unit, both SOR I and PD/H/PE will count and you know that they have quite a poor scaling. Unless you come top in the state again for PD/H/PE or close to that, your resulting 4 Unit result > basically any mark in PD/H/PE (assuming that you do get 95+ for 4 Unit and I am sure you will)

Last edited:

Sky-

HSC
:O Thx very much for the link to this. I never realized we had 30+ rankings O_________o''

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)