• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Torts Exam 2005 (1 Viewer)

= Jennifer =

HSC
The exam covers the material from Seminars 5.2 – 12.2 inclusive.
The examination is worth 65% of the marks for the unit. You must obtain a mark of at least 30 out of 65 (and satisfactorily complete the assignment) to pass the Unit.
It is a PARTIALLY CLOSED examination. The only material allowed is ONE A4 sheet of paper that is typed or hand written on one or both sides. NO OTHER MATERIALS, INCLUDING BOOKS, ARE ALLOWED.
There are 2 questions. You must answer both questions.
Question 1 is worth 25 marks. This is an essay style question. One of the learning outcomes of this Unit is for students to ‘appreciate the strengths and limitations of tort law as it is located in the current political and social context’. The topic will be looking at how negligence law actually works in its political and social setting. You will need to refer to the theoretical and critical readings about negligence law scheduled in Volume 2 of the Seminar Guide.
Question 2 is worth 40 marks. It is a problem based question. You are required to advise the parties on what actions in negligence they could bring and whether they are likely to succeed. You need to support your answer with reference to case law and relevant provisions from legislation, including the Civil Liability Act 2002 (NSW). You are not required to write about assessment of damages in question 2.

You have 3 hours plus 10 minutes reading time to complete the exam.

L

LaraB

= Jennifer = said:
The exam covers the material from Seminars 5.2 – 12.2 inclusive.
The examination is worth 65% of the marks for the unit. You must obtain a mark of at least 30 out of 65 (and satisfactorily complete the assignment) to pass the Unit.
It is a PARTIALLY CLOSED examination. The only material allowed is ONE A4 sheet of paper that is typed or hand written on one or both sides. NO OTHER MATERIALS, INCLUDING BOOKS, ARE ALLOWED.
There are 2 questions. You must answer both questions.
Question 1 is worth 25 marks. This is an essay style question. One of the learning outcomes of this Unit is for students to ‘appreciate the strengths and limitations of tort law as it is located in the current political and social context’. The topic will be looking at how negligence law actually works in its political and social setting. You will need to refer to the theoretical and critical readings about negligence law scheduled in Volume 2 of the Seminar Guide.
Question 2 is worth 40 marks. It is a problem based question. You are required to advise the parties on what actions in negligence they could bring and whether they are likely to succeed. You need to support your answer with reference to case law and relevant provisions from legislation, including the Civil Liability Act 2002 (NSW). You are not required to write about assessment of damages in question 2.

You have 3 hours plus 10 minutes reading time to complete the exam.

lol thanx 4 the depressing thought jen:)

Angel45

HSC
Hey,

I was just looking at the past exam q's in the reader and the past essay-type q's were seriously hard... just wondering what ur thoughts were?!?

U reckon, going by the guidelines we were given, our q will only be concerned with like "evaluating" tort law - nothin like the past q's that were dealing with like the development of principles and the like?!?

Just wanted to check my interpretation of the guidelines was on the right track...

L

LaraB

Angel45 said:
Hey,

I was just looking at the past exam q's in the reader and the past essay-type q's were seriously hard... just wondering what ur thoughts were?!?

U reckon, going by the guidelines we were given, our q will only be concerned with like "evaluating" tort law - nothin like the past q's that were dealing with like the development of principles and the like?!?

Just wanted to check my interpretation of the guidelines was on the right track...
we have been told not to go by those as the standard as the old structure was different

the course strcuture covered slightly different materials so susan said to instead make sure you can answer all the seminar questions and use the prpoblems in the seminar guide for practice problem questions:)

Angel45

HSC
Sweet, thanks 4 that!

Coz I was looking at them thinking god if we hav 2 remember all that :S. Like we've covered most of it in class but I mean to write a whole essay on it... that'd be difficult...esp. when the guidelines we were given didn't mention anything about like development of principles...

G/L.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
You know what you do. Type it up in size 8 font, and then print it 4 pages onto the first page and then another 4 pages on the back page :p

L

LaraB

Cape said:
You know what you do. Type it up in size 8 font, and then print it 4 pages onto the first page and then another 4 pages on the back page :p
exactly what i was planning to do!:)

Angel45

HSC
Cape said:
Wish it was one A4 page and a magnifying glass. Hehe.

Yeah, I like the 4-page idea. Luckily it's kind of just writing "steps" down... :S

Angel45

HSC
Just to make sure I'm not another planet or that my dates r odd...

intro = 27th
(not next mon but 1 after that)

torts = 29h
(not 2morrow, not the next wed but 1 after that)

correct, no?

Thanks. xo

L

LaraB

Angel45 said:
Just to make sure I'm not another planet or that my dates r odd...

intro = 27th
(not next mon but 1 after that)

torts = 29h
(not 2morrow, not the next wed but 1 after that)

correct, no?

Thanks. xo
yep:) that's what i've got:)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
hehe. Worried about forgetting when the exams are on? I'm like that too :p I keep checking to see if I have an exam tomorrow ... cause I don't have one til next wednesday and its such a huge gap :( and my last is on the 29th. *sigh* its just seems too far apart.

L

LaraB

Cape said:
hehe. Worried about forgetting when the exams are on? I'm like that too :p I keep checking to see if I have an exam tomorrow ... cause I don't have one til next wednesday and its such a huge gap :( and my last is on the 29th. *sigh* its just seems too far apart.
im more worried about them changing time or room or something on me and i'll forget to check and will turn up toi the wrong time or place lol :p

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
LaraB said:
im more worried about them changing time or room or something on me and i'll forget to check and will turn up toi the wrong time or place lol :p
lol. Speaking of rooms ... I don't even know where my earth sciences exam is held! I better check that out, all I know is its on the main campus of parra :p

Angel45

HSC
Yeah just wanted to make sure my timetable said what others did. Thanks for that!

How funny.. the things that go thru our minds when stressing bout exams...

In my trials for HSC in one exam i stuffed up finishing time (i looked at like the for ppl. who had special considerations) so now i check my watch like every 5 mins so I don't end up having like 20mins less to finish then i thought :S. haha

Yeah, I've gotten the map out to check rooms. One I know the room coz i'm in it for a class but the other one is like that long one ( i have a class in it) but i'm like in room 75 and it's like 13 or something, and i know it's numbered so badly..so i best check it out b4 hand so i'm not freakin' on the day.

good luck all. xox

L

LaraB

Angel45 said:
Yeah just wanted to make sure my timetable said what others did. Thanks for that!

How funny.. the things that go thru our minds when stressing bout exams...

In my trials for HSC in one exam i stuffed up finishing time (i looked at like the for ppl. who had special considerations) so now i check my watch like every 5 mins so I don't end up having like 20mins less to finish then i thought :S. haha
omg i did the same in trials - so glad i didnt for hsc!! i misread the clock and did the legal exam in 2 hrs instead of 3 woot for me lol..im such an idiot...

but it worked out good in the end coz i had time to go and re read everytyhing and add citations and correct stuff and got an awesome mark in the end...wouldnt wanna do it again though :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)