toshiba: the ipod killer! (1 Viewer)

Yvan Zivkovic

HSC
N/A
Only one thing that poses a threat to the current iPod's.

iPod Mini's.

As for Battery Life? I have a 2G 10GB iPod and have no battery problems. Infact, I know a lot of people with 3G iPod's who seem to have less battery power (Mine's about 10 hours, while there's is roughly 6 - 8 hours).

Only problem with iPod's, the price. And the fact not everyone has 15GB of music, i don't, but I do a lot of video editing/transfering, so its helpful, and better the carrying a external hard drive around.

Oh, and for the record:

iPod hard drive: 1.8 Inches
iPod Mini Hard Drive: 1 Inch
Laptop hard drive: 2.5 Inches

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
lol my problem is i still need at least 4 40gb ipods to fit all my music on but 40gbs is more than enough for a week :)

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by AsyLum
lol my problem is i still need at least 4 40gb ipods to fit all my music on but 40gbs is more than enough for a week :)
YOU'RE CRAZY, sif you gonna listen to the 40 gigs, unless you encode your music at WAV quality :p... and battery wont last too well, the more track flicking you do the more battery it eats...

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
all i have to say is that iriver owns apple

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Winston
YOU'RE CRAZY, sif you gonna listen to the 40 gigs, unless you encode your music at WAV quality :p... and battery wont last too well, the more track flicking you do the more battery it eats...

hehe well .... i wont flick tracks then, it better have a random!!

oh and i encode at high quality VBR so yeah :D my file sizes are a bit big but i listen to all my songs, my winamp hasnt stopped playing for quite a while now :D

waddle_828

*waves*
HSC
the reason i like the iPod so much, is its ease of use
especially the scroll wheel, which makes it so easy and conveniant to use, like so much better then the creative which you go up a little bit, then you have to go to the bottom of the vertical scroll pad then go back up again, where with the iPod you just go round and round and round...etc
and the iPod is incredibly good looking
i love the whiteness of it...

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
andiman said:
i'd be careful who you go around calling an idiot.
the original ipod did not have as you so succintly expressed 'the fattest battery problems'.
the problem was as with most batteries, if you just leave them on the charger and don't discharge them fully on a regular basis before recharging, their performance is reduced.

-Andi.
From what I've read on iPod batteries, that is wrong. In fact, fully discharging iPod batteries is bad because the lithium cells require some charge in them or else they become damaged. They have no memory effect at all (as opposed to, say, NiMH batteries which also have this claim but I think they do have some sort of memory effect). The only reason that anyone would fully discharge an iPod battery is to re-calibrate the battery meter. Even then, it's only necessary around once every 40 full charge cycles or so. I personally have never bothered re-calibrating my battery meter.

The life of the battery is a certain number of full charge/discharge cycles (around 300 I think). If you use it for 30 mins or whatever, and then charge it back up to full again, that is only a fraction of a cycle.

I think mobile phone batteries are similar (yes, they die too but all batteries die anyway and, in the case of lithium batteries, their life is not shortened because they aren't fully discharged everytime).

Last edited:

equiski

HSC
I wish every 2nd thread here didn't HAVE to turn into a goddamn ipod vs the world flame war. Sony, Apple, iRiver and Creative all make good products. Some people out of personal preference (or blind fanboy allegiance) prefer one device over the other ones. We have different needs. Can't we just... well, get along?

I think this toshiba Gigabeat G20 looks gorgeous. Too bad it doesn't seem to support .m4a or Ogg Vorbis :( . Thats a shame.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)