TPC help!! (1 Viewer)

Mz.Utai

HSC
hey guys,
i no this is probably been asked b4 but i would appreciate some answers. i basically finished year 11 or scrapped it i guess due to health problems and now im on the road to recovery and i was wondering bout continuing my education but year 12 has already started at school and i dont want to do year 12 at tafe(1 or 2 years) due to the amount of stress that i hav been through. i was wondering of doing the Tpc at tafe but i am not mature age. i hav cheked with UWS nd UTS nd there are no age requirements. how long does this course run for and any1 think this is the right thing for me to do ? please suggest.

thanx

moc2009

HSC
N/A
It runs for 1 year. There is no age requirement to do the TPC, when they talk about mature age, then mean that when you apply to the Universities with the TPC score you might have to be a certain age, most Uni’s if you apply via TPC then you have to apply as Mature Age and at most Uni’s that means 21.

But you can still do the TPC.

You could also do the STAT test instead (it’s a test you sit and if you get a decent mark you get into Uni) but not all Uni’s accept it, and again, most you have to be a certain age.

Good Luck.

piitb

HSC
yes do stat ASAP, you can still apply to do stat this year to be considered for FINAL round consideration,

i think closing date is in around 2 weeks time. try that first, if unsuccessful then do your TPC.

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
I did the TPC in 2007 while I was 18/19, and only USYD had the age requirement of over 21 last year. The others were as follows for 2007 (if I can remember):

UWS, Mac, Uncle: 18 or no age
UNSW: 20

I don't remember UTS but I don't think they had an age requirement as I know a 19 yr old TPC 2008 student who has applied there.

You'd need to double check with the admissions department of your chosen uni that they accept the TPC (most do) and what age requirements they have.

I'd also recommend making an appointment with the counsellor on your nearest TAFE campus to discuss options (be it STAT, TPC or HSC at TAFE, full or part time). I did this before I enrolled and it really helped.

The TPC was the best experience of my life and it equipped me with knowledge specific to tertiary study, such as learning to reference and structure essays which I've notice a lot of high school leavers struggle with. The course structure incorporates elements of Year 11 and 12, but some stuff in the TPC isn't in the HSC syllabus. I left school halfway through Year 10 btw.

If you struggle with the workload you have the option to drop back to part time and complete the TPC over 2 years, but I only had 2.5 full days with a full time workload, so if you can handle juggling subjects I'd go full-time.

Good luck and if you have any more questions let me know :)

moc2009

HSC
N/A
I’ve done the TPC this year as my high school was done in different countries, so thought it would be a better way for me to get into Uni. I also did the STAT test, the STAT test I found a lot easier than I though.

The TPC I found great, I agree with the above post it really helps you with things like essay writing and you get a lot of practice that I reckon will help for Uni.

Depending on what TAFE you go to there are many different subjects you can do, you can take 1 year to 2 years, most people do 1 year. To complete the TPC you have to do at least 10 subjects (at least 3 must be “B” subjects). So you can do 5 A in semester 1 and 5 B in semester 2, or 5 A in semester 1 and 2 A’s in semester 2 plus 3 B’s (it’s your B subjects that count towards your score).

The compulsory subjects to do are LALS A and LALS B (English) and core IT – but you can just do a 1 hour test to pass that part.

Look at which TAFE you want to go to and they will have the counselling contact details (when I enrolled it was a requirement that you must first speak to the counsellors) then they have the open day, where you go and listen to what the TPC is about and then you enrol and pick your subjects. You can do only 1 subject or 3 or 5, and you can take your time to finish the TPC, I know one girl who started it 3 years ago, (did the A’s) left and came back this year to finish it.

Also look at the STAT too, I did the STAT and I've applied to Uni using that alone, although I don't think the TPC was wasted as it definitly helped me and was well worth it.

Good luck.

Mz.Utai

HSC
thanx soo much for the info do u guys recommend doin the tpc or just starting a course through tafe example business administartion cert to diploma nd applyin via that pathway. as for the STAT, most uni's have age requirements except UWS but the catch is you hav 2 b a non year 12 aplicant. the only thing is i enrolled as a year 12 student at the beginning of term 4 this year thinking i was going to b ok by then but havnt dropped out yet so i guess i will just ring up and check wat i can do.
also if i was to complete the tpc would i be able to apply to diploma courses through private colleges or would it depend on the college itself

thanx

Last edited:

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
I would recommend doing the TPC myself, as it polishes off your HSC syllabus and gives you teritary specific skills.

If you know you want to be able to do a diploma in a particular field that you also want to do at uni (e.g. accounting), I'd do that so you could apply for course credits.

However - diploma's at TAFE require completion of either year 12 or the relevant cert IV for that course. So I'd do the TPC for uni admission or the cert IV if you really want to do the diploma.

As for private colleges, you'd need to check with the private college if they accept it, I only know about the uni and TAFE acceptance as that's what I applied for.

LoneSpike

HSC
N/A
moc2009 said:
You could also do the STAT test instead (it’s a test you sit and if you get a decent mark you get into Uni) but not all Uni’s accept it, and again, most you have to be a certain age.

Good Luck.
I was just wondering, what is a decent mark?? cause i have done the STAT test and i got a overall score of 152 and a percentile rank of 38.6... which was lower than what i have hoped for.

so how does the STAT works anyway? in relation to getting a placing at uni. what do they consider? does it give you extra UAI cutoffs? or is it a complete different thing that they consider... i have applied for courses as low as a UAI of 65, is there any chance that i would be getting it?

piitb

HSC
depends on the uni and which course. read the uac handbook on entry selection criteria.

doing stat normally wont "add" onto your UAI. but if you uai was poor say <30, and if you have a stat mark which is good say 160, then they will consider your better of the 2 result.

rough guess, a stat of 150 would probably equate to in terms of UAI a result of prob 60?

Last edited:

moc2009

HSC
N/A
LoneSpike said:
I was just wondering, what is a decent mark?? cause i have done the STAT test and i got a overall score of 152 and a percentile rank of 38.6... which was lower than what i have hoped for.

so how does the STAT works anyway? in relation to getting a placing at uni. what do they consider? does it give you extra UAI cutoffs? or is it a complete different thing that they consider... i have applied for courses as low as a UAI of 65, is there any chance that i would be getting it?
It depends what Uni you applied for.

For example in WA at most Uni’s you need a score of at least 115 on the multiple choice STAT and a score of at least 145 for the written English STAT.

Most Uni’s in NSW, ACT and QLD won’t tell you what score you need but the ones that did told me at you would need 145 to 150.

If you got 152 and applied for a course with 65 then you will get it. If you got 152 and applied for almost any course at UWS then you will most likely get it.

Remember with STAT you are not competing against general school leavers for a place, and they don’t convert your STAT score to a UAI so you cannot really go on that.

I know people someone who got 145 last year and got their first preference, one had a UAI of 85!

You’ll be fine.

moc2009

HSC
N/A
PS:

Although the Uni’s in NSW, ACT and QLD don’t convert your STAT to a UAI, WA does convert it to a TER (WA version of the UAI) and going by their conversion a STAT score of 152 is a TER of 75.3

This is the link to the calculator

TISC Online

LoneSpike

HSC
N/A
just one more question... UWS don't accept STAT if you are a 2008 year 12 applicants? is it possible if i applied through STAT alone then?? can i change my applications? i have a really crappy UAI

Last edited:

piitb

HSC
just one more question... UWS don't accept STAT if you are a 2008 year 12 applicants? is it possible if i applied through STAT alone then?? can i change my applications? i have a really crappy UAI
i think think uac has your 2008 results automatically if your a 2008 student.

so try another uni that will consider stat alone. like some of the regional unis

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)