TPG Broadband (im a noob) (1 Viewer)

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
I recieved my USB ADSL modem from TPG and installed it etc. etc. but am unsure how to actually connect to the ISP. Is there a number to dial? Someone who has gone with them explain.

kalli

HSC
did u run through the cd? what type of modem is it? i have a dLink DSL-200 which means i have a icon on the desktop to use....

tempco

HSC
aren't there settings in your usb modem you have to change? like username/password and stuff.

ReaveR

HSC
If it's D-Link DSL200 there won't be any interface, you'll most likely have to set it up in windows and pretend its a dial up. Someone else with TPG will have the details of what number to call and whatnot..

kalli

HSC
nekkid said:
aren't there settings in your usb modem you have to change? like username/password and stuff.
nah the dsl-200 is a bridge modem not router....

edit: OP try -> create a new connection in network connections...

connect to the internet
set up my connection manually
connect using a connection that requires a user/pass
use <username>@ppp.tpg.com.au for your username
make sure add an icon to my desktop is ticked
voila :)

Last edited:

RCMasterAA

I vant to suck your blood
HSC
You don't actually set the number to dial. I think what happens is once your line is activated and you've installed everything, you click the "D-Link PPPoE AU Connection" icon in your network connections to 'dial' in and it shouldn't take more than 10 seconds.

Ninga

HSC
Use the easy config program that came with the modem to set it up, and follow the instructions that they've sent with it. Its not tough.

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
would i need to dial in everytime I restart my comp?
also I followed the D-Link instructions (not the TPG ones) and have PPPoA instead of PPoE. How do I change it to PPPoE?

waddle_828

*waves*
HSC
noneother said:
also I followed the D-Link instructions (not the TPG ones) and have PPPoA instead of PPoE. How do I change it to PPPoE?
no only everytime you turn the modem on and off
but unlike dial up it costs nothing to connect to the internet after turning the modem on and off, and it stays connected when the comp is off...

with PPPoE i don't know, mine is a speedtouch modem from telstra, and it came with a cd to set it up so yeah...

good luck :D

kalli

HSC
noneother said:
you need to follow the TPG instructions.... to make it PPPoE....

and YES u WILL need to dial up every time you restart your computer.... and every time u get disconnected.....

run through the disk that came with the modem because PPPoA will not work with this type of modem as far as i know :)

Last edited:

supasoljah

HSC
Actually you DO have to reconnect everytime you turn the computer on or off. If you dont believe my try restarting your computer and then try using the net before connected and youll see (waddle_828 = noob + idiot) .

ReaveR

HSC
You can set it to auto connect on startup, and it generally won't take much time to connect anyway.

There's no need to be name calling, especially when that previous point about not needing to reconnect on restart was already refuted by kalli.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Although I'm not with TPG, all I did was connect my USB modem up and go to http://192.168.1.1 in my browser which took me to a config./setup page...after that it was a matter of keying in my ISP username/password and that was just about it.

ReaveR

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Although I'm not with TPG, all I did was connect my USB modem up and go to http://192.168.1.1 in my browser which took me to a config./setup page...after that it was a matter of keying in my ISP username/password and that was just about it.
I bet that's a Netcomm modem :p

The D-Link DSL200 is the basics of basic modems, so it doesn't have a net interface.

Ghost1788

HSC
supasoljah said:
Actually you DO have to reconnect everytime you turn the computer on or off. If you dont believe my try restarting your computer and then try using the net before connected and youll see (waddle_828 = noob + idiot) .

lol true but only if your computer is directly connected to the modem (in this case your computer supplies the username and password) but if u are like me you ave a router and then when ever you restart the connection lives on...boo yeah :D

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
ReaveR said:
I bet that's a Netcomm modem :p

The D-Link DSL200 is the basics of basic modems, so it doesn't have a net interface.
Yea...Netcomm NB5...the best modem ever imo (except for the newer NB5 models)

ReaveR

HSC
Watch out, my Netcomm NB1300 died out of warranty; conveniently one month out, and I called Netcomm they wouldn't do anything for me said I had to pay because it was out of warranty, and in the end when I read up on it, turns out the firmware decided to kill itself for absolutely no reason, and it was quite a common experience

So I'm not very happy with companies that engineer their products to die just after warranty, then demand I pay because of something that's not even my fault..

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
So you mean to say that your modem was programmed to screw up after a certain period of time? Hhmmm...well, at least the NB5 was pretty new when I got it. I just went on recommendations from other people and since my ISP was selling them I bought it from them.

ReaveR

HSC
I don't see why the firmware would just die for no reason.

Wasn't an electrical fault as when I called Netcomm they confirmed a fault in the firmware. Just saying you might want to update to the newest firmware. My girlfriends NB1300+4 seems to be doing alright after six months or so, but mine died at like 13 months so yeah..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)