• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

trading systems (1 Viewer)

3li

HSC
N/A
hi guys

just wondering wat trading systems ppl have been exposed to and the differences in them.. im noob to trading.

i was told by a ex-colleague at db that the one im using now sucks. but i thought they all pretty much do the same things - im using iress and its got lots of nice features.

thanks.

youngone

HSC
iress, ey. that's the system i currently use in trading and its pretty avg. it was developed in like the 90's and is not very 'clean' and clear. other then the aesthitic (if thats how you spell the word) looks though it does all thats need and will show you plenty of information for analysis, it might just take a week or so to get used to.

i read in another thread that your working at Dixon Advisory, is that right? how is it? i was offered an interview but couldn't make it cause it was a day before one of my exams.

good luck

3li

HSC
N/A
thanks mate
a week? cool im liking the format and overall user-friendliness already but yeah, i can tell it was made ages ago.

yeah dixon is good, nice young culture with lots of different ppl and experiences - interseting work as well.

where u working atm?

youngone

HSC
no worries.

umm.. not actually working anywhere at the moment, i'm just trading in the markets. I am looking for a job though, hopefully something in the financial/commerce area as i really enjoy the commerce part of my degree and have always been quite commercially orientated.

cheers

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
youngone said:
no worries.

umm.. not actually working anywhere at the moment, i'm just trading in the markets. I am looking for a job though, hopefully something in the financial/commerce area as i really enjoy the commerce part of my degree and have always been quite commercially orientated.

cheers
You use comsec pro (i think that is what it's called). What do you trade?

youngone

HSC
Nah i don't use the commsec pro system. i did previously but am now using the etrade system when i trade micro caps. I mainly trade CFD deriv's for asx200 stocks using the iress software and have recently begun forex trading

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
youngone said:
Nah i don't use the commsec pro system. i did previously but am now using the etrade system when i trade micro caps. I mainly trade CFD deriv's for asx200 stocks using the iress software and have recently begun forex trading
who (or what platform) do u do fx on? highly leveraged?

haiderr

Goldn_i
HSC
3li said:
hi guys

just wondering wat trading systems ppl have been exposed to and the differences in them.. im noob to trading.

i was told by a ex-colleague at db that the one im using now sucks. but i thought they all pretty much do the same things - im using iress and its got lots of nice features.

thanks.
hi! does dixon offer cadetships to school leaver? and do u trade as part of ur job or just personally? thnx
n i think iress is teh most popular coz when i last checked asx website, thts the one they recommend or somtehing... lol i think...

3li

HSC
N/A
dixon doesnt offer cadetshiops

yea i trade as part of my role on behalf of clients

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
3li said:

is it purely completing trades on behalf of clients or do u offer advice? curious as to what the job is and what kind of portfolio size/client size a grad would be working on.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
seremify007 said:
is it purely completing trades on behalf of clients or do u offer advice? curious as to what the job is and what kind of portfolio size/client size a grad would be working on.
I dont think he can give advice since he stated he doesnt have PS146.

E-trade - yuck, they go down all the time when there is high vol on the market.

youngone

HSC
yeh doing highly leveraged fx trading with MF global. i've only started and haven't really used the platform yet (put the orders by phone). But it looks pretty good and am must likely going to start up a cfd account with MF as well.

youngone

HSC
yeh i know etrade does have some reliability issues which has caused me some problems before i just find it easier because my bank accounts are with them and its easier to transfer money

haiderr

Goldn_i
HSC
3li said:

Oh ok that would be heaps fun! Playing with someone else's money? haha just kidding!

3li: Did you by any chance do the UTS BAcc course? I think I remember seeing one of your posts in the BAcc thread.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
youngone said:
yeh doing highly leveraged fx trading with MF global. i've only started and haven't really used the platform yet (put the orders by phone). But it looks pretty good and am must likely going to start up a cfd account with MF as well.
What are the income requirements for e-trade and MF global?

youngone

HSC
with etrade i don't think there is any income requirements, can't remember if i had to enter any figures when i started it a couple of yrs ago but the account i have is just the std one with etrade pro and i wouldn't imagine that there would be any need for them to know your income.

with MF i put down 20K on the application and they accepted it so not sure what the min requirement is, i think they will accept most applications so long as you have the initial deposit ready.

3li

HSC
N/A
seremify007 said:
yea i cant offer advice unless i do ps46 + grad diploma, im just an analyst, not an adviser, like the others who actually recommend what type of investment, when, and why. big diff is that i get a wage where as advisers get base plus bonus based on client retention, brokerage fees etc.

most of the client enquiries go to my managers but i do the orders whena client wants to for e.g. get international exposure ill recommend certain ways to get that exposure that we have access to and also tellt hem about upcoming placements and trade shares (its at my discretion when i trade, usually at limit order, but the client specifies everything - so i have their best interest when i execute) most of research is done externally and we get market wraps from heaps of sources like ubs, goldies etc so we use that to provide info. also most of my clients are old ppl cos its retirement funds in a smsf so i can answer general adhoc enquiresi

typical smsf portfolio is about 1m and ive dealt with 10m plus, to be cost effective, an smsf should ideally have over 150k - so these are high net worth clients

hope taht answers ur q

haiderr said:
Oh ok that would be heaps fun! Playing with someone else's money? haha just kidding!

3li: Did you by any chance do the UTS BAcc course? I think I remember seeing one of your posts in the BAcc thread.
yea i do bacc still in 2ndyear
and its not really playing with, ur helping them create wealth, its titeass if u mucka rond with it cos this is wat these old fellas retire on

Last edited:

haiderr

Goldn_i
HSC
WOW that sounds really really exciting and interesting. I was only kidding about 'playing' with their money... lol.

So your doing BAcc, second year as you said (I've also applied for BAcc), so did you do your first internship or something with MF Global? I mean, how did you find that job? And what's your job title? Thanks!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for the input 3li... very interesting job you have there. Do you ever read out news snippets to your clients though? My dealer does that sometimes and then he has to give me the whole "advice provided here is based on publicly available information" disclosure and that it's not necessarily taking into account my risk profile and whatnot.

3li

HSC
N/A
yes i do read out news snippets but wen i quote recommendations based on these reports it doesnt consider personal situation its just a general recommendation so technically im not giving specific security advice. on the forms that i write on i have to tick whether general or specific advice was given and if significant associated risk was explained. also its clients responsibility to provide their objective, situation and needs and then we have to get them to sign a written warning or record a verbal warning if specific info given. For warrants particularly they gotta sign this masive asx warrant form which takes a while to prepare..

nah i worked at dbrreef which is now dexus property group after acquiring the 50% interest that deutsche bank had.

i found that job through a friend, they dont offer undergrads positiosn in investment advisory but i was lucky cos some1 had moved to canberra. undergrads usually go to accounts, admin back office and some in financial planning.

i didnt mention nething about mfglobal but wateva..

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)