Traditional view of Sparta? (1 Viewer)

ekat

HSC
Hi all,

so I am doing an assignment on Sparta at the Battle of Leuctra in 371BC and I need to write about the traditional view of Sparta but I can hardly find information on it. Does anyone know any information on it and a bit more than the definition?

buriza

conviction
HSC
http://thattimehascome.blogspot.com.au/2011/09/ancient-historians-views-on-sparta.html

This might be a good starting point for you. I did Sparta around two years ago, so I can't really remember much, but in general there will be ancient Greek historians who talked about Sparta. Aristotle and Plutarch are particularly important when talking about Sparta, and from my recollection, they both opposed each other's views as Aristotle was rather scathing and Plutarch was praising.

evasharman

HSC
1. For ancient historians views, consider the viewpoints of the historians under the "Greek Writers" dotpoint
2. Do some research into the "Spartan mirage"

ekat

HSC
http://thattimehascome.blogspot.com.au/2011/09/ancient-historians-views-on-sparta.html

This might be a good starting point for you. I did Sparta around two years ago, so I can't really remember much, but in general there will be ancient Greek historians who talked about Sparta. Aristotle and Plutarch are particularly important when talking about Sparta, and from my recollection, they both opposed each other's views as Aristotle was rather scathing and Plutarch was praising.
Great thankyou so much!

ekat

HSC
1. For ancient historians views, consider the viewpoints of the historians under the "Greek Writers" dotpoint
2. Do some research into the "Spartan mirage"
Yeah I've looked into the Spartan Mirage which helped me a bit but I didn't think about looking under Ancient Writer so thankyou!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)