Votes: 33 62.3%
  • Gym

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • Other (where?)

Votes: 5 9.4%

• Total voters

quik.

HSC
Training at home is either very limited or very expensive.

A $500 annual gym membership ($50p/month) will typically give you access to A full range of fixed dbs, a lot of weight plates/bbs, lots of benches, machines and classes. That money on a home gym will get you fuck-all weight and maybe a crappy bench. To get a good home gym set up (bb, 200kg of olympic weights, bench, squat rack, pull-up bar, some dbs/kbs) will cost much much more than $500.

If you train at home then the best option is calisthenics (bodyweight exercises) and cardio. Push-ups, air squats, pull-ups, sit-ups, burpees, tricep dips, hand-stand push-ups and running. Local playgrounds can be good value because they have loads of bars for pull-ups and can be combined well with running. A set of gymnastics rings can add an enormous number of possible exercises.

Ultimately though the quickest way to get big and strong is to lift heavy weights, it is not cost-effective to do this at home.
Most gyms will cost 1,000ish p/year if you don't have access to a student one.

That can make a home gym pretty cost effective. Under 2000 for 200kg weights + barbell + quality bench + quality power rack. Throw in some chains, some bands, medicine ball, and you have heaps of options. Even at the 2000 outlay, that's only 4 years of your 500 dollar gym membership.

Not saying a gym isn't a great environment for working out, it is, but home gyms are definitely an option and they can be a financially viable one.

HSC
Most gyms will cost 1,000ish p/year if you don't have access to a student one.

That can make a home gym pretty cost effective. Under 2000 for 200kg weights + barbell + quality bench + quality power rack. Throw in some chains, some bands, medicine ball, and you have heaps of options. Even at the 2000 outlay, that's only 4 years of your 500 dollar gym membership.

Not saying a gym isn't a great environment for working out, it is, but home gyms are definitely an option and they can be a financially viable one.
Agreed,

I paid $350 for an avanti squat rack and bench, and around $700 on an olympic weights set (188kg, and had I shopped around I could have done better).

No line ups, no advice from idiots, and with a little bit of initiative there's nothing you can't do.

quik.

HSC
The equipment takes up a lot of space though.

If don't live at home or your house is small, you'd probably have to rent a bigger property to fit it, which makes the gym look cost effective again.
The power rack I own is about 1.something by 1.something metres, say 1.5x1.5, once you are done the bench and all the weight can fit in there. It's hardly a huge space burden.

HSC
The power rack I own is about 1.something by 1.something metres, say 1.5x1.5, once you are done the bench and all the weight can fit in there. It's hardly a huge space burden.
agreed, a space 10'x8' and you're fine.

Edit: What I think really makes a home gym better is that you focus on essentuals - you follow Rippetoe/Bill Starr's routine, drink 3L of milk and get huge. There's no gym staff running out to stop you everytime you squat below parellel cause its 'bad for the knees' and no dumbasses telling you you need X product for 'steroid like gains'

Last edited:
HSC
I remember breaching 150kg in the deadlift the very beginning of last year - i danced around like i set a world record. Hit 220 on Friday, and now, i have my eyes on 260, and 300 as my 'ultimate' goal (which, if i ever attain, will probably increase again, God willing). But you HAVE TO SET THE GOAL. Right a number down in the front of your training diary. Look at it every training session, and ask "This is what i am training for". Without, you just running about headless :)
A challenger appears.

The deadlift is MY exercise - I intend to meet your 220 by the end of my 5x5 cycle (I start next week) and from there I'll beat you to 300.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
i dont get this motivational issue ppl are getting, i mean, ur gonna get huge, isnt that motivation enough?

personally i know how much ive gained, and im fairly happy, considering my height and my (previous) build.

i'll be going to local gym once a week these uni holidays, then i'll do weights at home another time during the week, woo me!

quik.

HSC
Totally different environment at a gym with people who are strong and motivated, it pushes you a lot more (generally). Another level again if you have a good training partner/group.

Home gyms are great and if you have mates to work out with then the issue disappears, but I can understand the motivation being a hindrance to some.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)