Tranferring iTunes library (1 Viewer)

Tirole

HSC
Hi guys,
I got a new computer and was wondering if I can transfer my iTunes library on my old computer to my new one (which doesn't have iTunes), I tried connecting the two computers with a LAN cord but nothing much happened.
thanks.

HSC
Uni Grad
Consolidate your iTunes library then copy the iTunes folder from your old computer onto the new one.

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm surprised no one has posted a "facepalm" picture yet...

-----

Open iTunes on your old PC, select all tracks, right click then click "Consolidate Library". This will copy all of your songs into a single directory to make transferring easier.

Then copy your iTunes folder onto the new PC, the folder is usually located in "C:\Users\*your username*\My Music\iTunes" for Vista/7 or "C:\Documents and Settings\*your username*\My Documents\My Music\iTunes"

Tirole

HSC
Open iTunes on your old PC, select all tracks, right click then click "Consolidate Library". This will copy all of your songs into a single directory to make transferring easier.
okay done

Then copy your iTunes folder onto the new PC, the folder is usually located in "C:\Users\*your username*\My Music\iTunes" for Vista/7 or "C:\Documents and Settings\*your username*\My Documents\My Music\iTunes"
How do I access the 'C:\Users\etc..' from my new computer thought? (Also my new comp is windows 7, my old one is windows XP)
I have I cord that connects the two via their internet connection plug thingying, but then what? nothing seems to happen.

Thanks.
(and yes I know I suck at computers lol)

HSC
Uni Grad

I'm assuming the "cord" you're talking about is a crossover cable.

First set up a direct cable LAN between the two computers, then set up sharing for "My Music" folder on your new PC, then go to "My Music" on your old PC and copy the "iTunes" folder into the newly shared folder on your new PC.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Might be easier to use the HOME SHARING feature of the latest iTunes versions which let you basically move/transfer all your music/playlists across your network. Moving the music alone is easy but if you want to retain any playlists you either need to use the inbuilt HOME SHARING feature (which will work once you have a crossover cable connecting the two; and LAN enabled obviously in Network settings) or you'll need to manually consolidate your library, keep all paths relative/consistent, and move it that way.

I've done several iTunes moves and it's NEVER easy (and one of them was Windows to Mac!) so if I were you I'd use HOME SHARING now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)