Transfer into combined law at usyd or unsw (1 Viewer)

FFChopin

HSC
With an Atar of 97.15, realistically, what wam do I need in my first year to transfer into law at usyd or unsw?
thanks

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
At USYD 75+ (or was it 70+?).

UNSW only looks at WAM. They estimate around 80 but this year they did let someone in with a WAM of 76. This is because they guarantee 100 spots at UNSW and if not enough people get around 80 then the WAM cut off has to be lower.

funstudy

HSC
Not sure what WAM you need, but you need an ATAR of 97+ and at least a distinction average in your first year to transfer.

neontiger

HSC
USYD does it by GPA, rather than WAM.

I've never heard of anyone transferring into USYD law with an ATAR under 98 so you'd realistically be looking at a GPA of closer to 6.25+ if you wanted to have a good shot of transferring in.

RishBonjour

HSC
At USYD 75+ (or was it 70+?).

UNSW only looks at WAM. They estimate around 80 but this year they did let someone in with a WAM of 76. This is because they guarantee 100 spots at UNSW and if not enough people get around 80 then the WAM cut off has to be lower.
really? :/
I asked the a law representative during UNSW info day and she said the lowest they accepted this year, i.e. the cut off, was 82 WAM. :/

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
Last edited:

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
Is it assessed on an individual basis? Like it takes into account low SES or other disadvantages.

I think they pool the applications and then take like the top 100 based on WAM. Not sure about disadvantages

welbeck11

HSC
USYD does it by GPA, rather than WAM.

I've never heard of anyone transferring into USYD law with an ATAR under 98 so you'd realistically be looking at a GPA of closer to 6.25+ if you wanted to have a good shot of transferring in.
Damn! Reading this has made me depressed :L. I got an ATAR of 95.9 and I have always dreamed of doing international and global studies/laws at USYD. So what GPA do I need with my ATAR?? and also is it better to just do MACQ law instead of trying for USYD??

HSC
really? :/
I asked the a law representative during UNSW info day and she said the lowest they accepted this year, i.e. the cut off, was 82 WAM. :/
I was the one that got in with 76 :D Well to be exact it was 76.89. And there were others that got in with 78, 79 etc.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
I was the one that got in with 76 :D Well to be exact it was 76.89. And there were others that got in with 78, 79 etc.
Sorry to use you as an example without your permission :(

I also have a friend that got in with 76.80 (or whatever it was).

neontiger

HSC
Damn! Reading this has made me depressed :L. I got an ATAR of 95.9 and I have always dreamed of doing international and global studies/laws at USYD. So what GPA do I need with my ATAR?? and also is it better to just do MACQ law instead of trying for USYD??
Your best bet would be doing the Bachelor of International and Global Studies, aiming for a Distinction average, and then doing the Juris Doctor postgraduate (if you really want to go to USYD). You could try for Macquarie instead but bear in mind, many graduate legal jobs consider WHERE you got your law qualification from and USYD is considered the more prestigious of the two law schools.

pixelzz

HSC
if i got an atar of 80 and get distinction averages for the whole of first year would i get into combined law at usyd or unsw?

danielau

HSC
if i got an atar of 80 and get distinction averages for the whole of first year would i get into combined law at usyd or unsw?
Yes you will. If you do get that average you can transfer to combined law regardless. This is assuming you are already studying another degree at unsw. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to transfer at usyd because they take atar into consideration too, and so you will need an extremely high WAM to bring that ATAR up.

suica

HSC
For UNSW, yes, if you are doing an internal transfer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)