Transfer into law (1 Viewer)

LILSandy

HSC
thanks for everyones advice...im still not sure what im going to do. im not going to uni till 2009 so ive still got a year to think about things. i accepted the DFEE place just incase i dont get an offer for that again next year and figured i'll reapply and see what happens with the uais - try for a csp place in law/international studies again and hopefully straight international studies doesnt go above 93 lol

i just got a full time job at a law firm, only as a secretary, but at least i'll be able to see what its really like and decide whether law really is what i wanna do with my life and it might help me decide whether its worth paying full fees first yr

maka said:
Lil Sandy.....
I dont mean to be patronising or anything to you or the universities I am about to mention but why not try Wollongong, Newcastle or even UWS. Sure, the prestige may not be there but if a career in LAW is your goal, they are worthy institutions to study at.
all year i was considering law at wollongong cause i knew id be able to get into it if i didnt get into macquarie, its a really nice uni i was down there at the end of last year and i have nothing against it, i actually really liked it, very modern but then i would have to move down there and pay accomodation. macquaries the uni i really wanna go to, i never aspired to go to unsw or sydney for law theyre not my thing i just kinda decided macquaries the uni i like best, i really like the atmosphere there...plus its only 15min from me:D

maka

HSC
Best of luck with everything.

Dont hesitate ask any questions if you have any.

The perspective of actually working in a firm helps a lot I've found.

What firm you working with?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yeah, I hated the work, therefore I moved on :p

DexJnr

HSC
N/A
Hey dudes,

Does anyone know how long it will take to complete a B.Comm-Accounting/Law degree if i get internally accepted into the quota for next year?

I've done 1st year Comm-Accounting, along with ACCG251, ACCG253, BUSL250.

This semester I am taking ACCG200, STAT279, BUSL350.

I am thinking it would take till the end of 2012?

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

Tabris

HSC
If u are transfering at the end of your 2nd year (which means starting law at begining 3rd year), you will finish after your 11th semester so another 3.5 years.

Be warned though, you will have to cram seriously....about 4 x4 CP law electives instead of the usual 3 x 4CP semesters ordinary law students take.....

So might as well be 6 years all up

DexJnr

HSC
N/A
Tabris said:
If u are transfering at the end of your 2nd year (which means starting law at begining 3rd year), you will finish after your 11th semester so another 3.5 years.

Be warned though, you will have to cram seriously....about 4 x4 CP law electives instead of the usual 3 x 4CP semesters ordinary law students take.....

So might as well be 6 years all up

Thanks bro.

Sounds better to finish the B.Comm-Accounting degree end of next year and apply for the Grad. Law programs at USYD, UNSW, UTS to start in 2010.

X

xeuyrawp

DexJnr said:
Sounds better to finish the B.Comm-Accounting degree end of next year and apply for the Grad. Law programs at USYD, UNSW, UTS to start in 2010.
Easily a better choice. I would advise any sane person who has careers hopes in law to not study it at Macquarie. That is, until the uni pumps resources into the department.

DexJnr

HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
Easily a better choice. I would advise any sane person who has careers hopes in law to not study it at Macquarie. That is, until the uni pumps resources into the department.
Cheers mate.

HSC
I don't have much objective information for you, just what I've seen:

My friend struggled for two years to get a transfer into law - his grades were good (better than mine :) but not excellent - I'll ask him what average he needed). He made it in the end though.

MacLaw - I've liked it - people scared me with the whole 'they don't hire macquarians' thing for years, but it worked out ok. I think there is a bit of a prejudice against any uni that's not Sydney or NSW at a number firms, but if u keep ur marks up it shouldn't be a problem (the big ones still hire macquarie students, just in lower numbers than from USyd or NSW).

If its what u want to do - go for it.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
PwarYuex said:
Wait for people here to stand up for it, though. But in all honesty, MQ law is really shit at this stage.
I know I wish I didn't transfer most days, becides the more active law soc and mooting comps its really crap. Most law academics and units are crap and the elective choice is appauling, people bag on UWS but MQ is an example of how rep means nothing.

X

xeuyrawp

melsc said:
I know I wish I didn't transfer most days, becides the more active law soc and mooting comps its really crap. Most law academics and units are crap and the elective choice is appauling, people bag on UWS but MQ is an example of how rep means nothing.
Didn't realise that Macquarie law had rep? I thought it was simply more that it was considered better than low-tier unis like UWS.

That being said, I personally wouldn't discount UWS outside of the standard of students (which is apparently shite), which is really important to me personally.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
PwarYuex said:
Didn't realise that Macquarie law had rep? I thought it was simply more that it was considered better than low-tier unis like UWS.

That being said, I personally wouldn't discount UWS outside of the standard of students (which is apparently shite), which is really important to me personally.
Thats what I meant - i.e. MQ law is on par with UTS and above UWS.

The main reasons I left were travel and the standard of students, otherwise generally the teaching quality was great and it really has a fresh practical focus with elements of philosophy as well (unlike MQs stuffy 100% philosophical focus). I hope they fix MQ law, its obviously too late for me lol...should have applied to wollongong instead.

Hopefully they change the 'only doing jurisprudence' in first sem thing, really puts law students off.

Tabris

HSC
Hey Scarecrow, how was Clayton Utz? got a grad offer :wave:

HSC
It was great thanks! - and I got the grad offer. I'm still so psyched about it - CU was the one I really wanted :)

HSC
PwarYuex said:
If thats so is the law at MAQ good enough to get you into a job such a diplomacy or foriegn affairs with a combined degree with int studies

LA88

HSC
PwarYuex said:
I would advise any sane person who has careers hopes in law to not study it at Macquarie.
2 out of the 7 associates to Justices on the High Court would beg to differ. In fact, the associate to the Chief Justice of the High Court of Australia is a Macquarie graduate.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
LA88 said:
2 out of the 7 associates to Justices on the High Court would beg to differ. In fact, the associate to the Chief Justice of the High Court of Australia is a Macquarie graduate.
So moral is if you want to be the High Court Judge's bitch, go to MQ, otherwise go to USYD/UNSW? :p

X

xeuyrawp

LA88 said:
2 out of the 7 associates to Justices on the High Court would beg to differ.
How would you know that they beg to differ? Are you suggesting that you know what 2 out of 7 associates to Justices in the High Court think?

Or are you trying to use a cheap rhetorical device (undoubtedly learned at your time in year 6 debating) here? :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)