Transfer plan from Comm --> Comm/Law (1 Viewer)

mraznboy

HSC
I heard it takes a WAM average of 75 to transfer into comm/law from comm but I am not sure about the course selection in order to transfer. Do I only enroll in the compulsory and flexible core courses? I was also told that most compulsory cores such as ACCT1501, ECON1101, ECON1203 are WAM boosters however MGMT1001 is a WAM killer. I need to pick subjects for two semesters before applying to transfer which would consist of the compulsory core (4 subjects) and the flexible core (4 subjects) but say if i did not want to enrol into MGMT1001 then is there another subject selection I could make or do I have to complete these in my first year if I intend to transfer?

Also suggest WAM boosters and strategies that people use to increase their WAM and advice on subject selection

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
WAM average of 75 to be considered

It's not guaranteed. So the best you can do is to try your hardest, and hope you get in.

The higher your WAM, the higher your chances.

mraznboy

HSC
what other factors do they base it on? would you say an 85 wam would be a high enough wam to almost be guaranteed a spot?

mraznboy

HSC
and applications have to be made after 2 semesters of study correct?

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
what other factors do they base it on? would you say an 85 wam would be a high enough wam to almost be guaranteed a spot?
If you can get an 85 WAM you be in for sure.

I did alright in MGMT1001 and wouldn't really say it's a WAM killer. A lot of the people who were succesful in transferring from Com to Com/Law actually did MGMT1001 in 1st sem.

To transfer you can enrol into any subjects that will be credited to your COmmerce degree. Generally people take cores and flexi cores.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
For Law, they have 100 spots guaranteed. That's from the UNSW Internal Program Transfer website.

I don't know about the WAM requirements but 85 I'd say is a minimum you'd want.

and applications have to be made after 2 semesters of study correct?
Yes, see this:

https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/academiclife/program_transfer/program_trans_Law.html

Plus no fails.

lawstu

HSC
That really goes without saying, though. A Fail would destroy your WAM so much that, no matter how else you do, your WAM would be in the loo.
Only your first-year WAM.

Unlike the University of Sydney, they don't take into consideration your UAI/ATAR. See http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1852485 but overlook the 50:50 UAI/ATAR:uni mark thing. As UNSW has clearly stated for years, "applicants will be assessed solely on their UNSW studies".

An 85 WAM will almost certainly allow you to transfer out of B.Com. and into B.Com./LL.B. but do you really want to do law? If yes, we should be hearing about your success next year. It isn't difficult to do well enough in Commerce, even more so if you buckle down.

aekryan

HSC
Did you have a 97 atar in your HSC? Just a personal question from someone who wants to do this themselves.

danielau

HSC
I am in probably the exact same position as you are right now, and have asked the same questions on multiple forums.

At first I was also enrolled into MGMT1001 but was told multiple times that it is a WAM killer. If you believe that then I think you should do what I did and drop it entirely and then pick it up again in second year. I'm not sure how many cores / flexi - cores first years need to do that intend on transferring into dual mode though...

I picked acct1501, legt1710, mark1012 and fins1613 and most people agree that they are the safe bet in terms of securing a nice wam to transfer. I think I might take the remaining cores in semester 2 ( except mgmt1001 haha) and some more flexis?(Can anyone confirm how many flexis I need to do so it goes towards comm/law?)

asadass

HSC
Uni Grad
I am in probably the exact same position as you are right now, and have asked the same questions on multiple forums.

At first I was also enrolled into MGMT1001 but was told multiple times that it is a WAM killer. If you believe that then I think you should do what I did and drop it entirely and then pick it up again in second year. I'm not sure how many cores / flexi - cores first years need to do that intend on transferring into dual mode though...

I picked acct1501, legt1710, mark1012 and fins1613 and most people agree that they are the safe bet in terms of securing a nice wam to transfer. I think I might take the remaining cores in semester 2 ( except mgmt1001 haha) and some more flexis?(Can anyone confirm how many flexis I need to do so it goes towards comm/law?)
Legt1710 won't count towards a comm/law degree

suica

HSC
Yeah I just read q_q. Does that mean I will need to drop it otherwise it's a waste of credit and time?
I'd switch it out for another Commerce core. If you make it in, it becomes redundant. If you don't make it in, you can still do it any other time.

danielau

HSC
I'd switch it out for another Commerce core. If you make it in, it becomes redundant. If you don't make it in, you can still do it any other time.
I swapped it out for ECON1101. Good idea?

suica

HSC
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was one of the cores for the Commerce degrees anyways so the credits should carry over if you make the transfer.

Also, I have a question about the Commerce side of Comm/Law double degree. I know you're usually allowed to only take one major from the Commerce degree, but since you have 96 UOC, is it possible to have two majors in the Commerce degree? With Accounting and Finance, I notice there are some subjects that count towards both majors, so is it not impossible?

Last edited:

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was one of the cores for the Commerce degrees anyways so the credits should carry over if you make the transfer.

Also, I have a question about the Commerce side of Comm/Law double degree. I know you're usually allowed to only take one major from the Commerce degree, but since you have 96 UOC, is it possible to have two majors in the Commerce degree? With Accounting and Finance, I notice there are some subjects that count towards both majors, so is it not impossible?
Assuming you are taking Accounting or Finance major, Cores and Flexi cores already take up 30 UOC (ECON1101, ECON1203, MGMT1001 + 2 Flexi cores), leaving 66 UOC. A major is 48 UOC. Therefore it be impossible to take 2 majors unless you overload or take summer school.

Even if courses do overlap between majors, there are at most 2 that do. So that only cuts down 12 UOC and you are still short 18 UOC.

suica

HSC
I see... thanks for that. I guess the best you can do is just minor in one of them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)