Transfer to USYD law after 3rd year. (1 Viewer)

tradingplaces

HSC
Hi,

I am just beginning 3rd year of combined laws (B Laws/B Commerce). For a couple of reasons I did not apply for a transfer to USYD this year, however am looking at applying for next year.

I complete the commerce side of my degree at the end of this year, but was wondering how the transfer to USYD would work? Would I transfer into combined laws at USYD still, or simply apply for grad law? I will have already completed several law units (Legal System and Method A, Legal System and Method B, Criminal Law and Procedure A, Criminal Law and Procedure B, Torts A, Torts B, and Contracts A and Contracts B). What is the procedure for applying for/receiving credit for these units? Would I be likely to receive credits for all the units completed? Could I still finish in 5 years?

Finally, from what I have read, USYD looks at UAI + GPA or GPA alone (depending on which is better) when selecting applicants? Is this correct?
My current GPA is 6.75 and WAM is >86 so if this is the case, I think I would get in (as long as I can maintain that this year :s)

Thanks for any help or info!

Foodie

HSC
N/A
Look up the credit transfer policies on USYD. They will most likely have restrictions on how many credit/exemptions you can get when transferring. I hear that most unis only allow for the first two years of units from your previous institution (maybe even lower) to be counted as credit/exemptions. If you are able to graduate with the B. Commerce portion then I suggest you apply for B. Laws (graduate entry) at USYD and if you get it, request for advanced standing for your law units.

Also, yes, USYD takes the better of UAI +GPA or GPA for combined law transfers. You need at least a Distinction avg to be competitive - which clearly, you have.

EDIT: http://www.law.usyd.edu.au/fstudent/undergrad/apply_local.shtml

Graduate Law - Transfer

Applicants from other graduate law/JD programs or applicants who have completed the course requirements of the first degree of a Combined Law program are eligible to apply.

Credit will not be granted for any units of study used to qualify for another degree or academic qualification, with the exception
of Combined Law degrees. The Law School’s credit transfer policy stipulates that students must study a minimum of 96 Credit Points (the equivalent to 2 years full time study) at the University of Sydney in order to qualify for the Bachelor of Laws (LLB). Students who have completed law studies at another university either in a Combined Law or Graduate Law program may be granted credit of up to 48 Credit Points (1 year full time study). Credit for previous studies will be determined at enrolment only, on a case-by-case basis.

Last edited:

tradingplaces

HSC
Thanks Foodie, that is very helpful! So from what I can gather, I would be fine to transfer with full credits for my law courses already completed (subject to the "case-by-case" basis) as the 8 law courses I will have completed over the 3 years actually only equal one year full time law study.

Foodie

HSC
N/A
No problem, although I would look at USYD handbook entries for the equivalent law subjects that you have completed. Check if the outcomes and content is the same or very similar, and better yet, if you can get your hands on unit outlines, all the better. In some cases, I've heard that some unis may reject law units from other institutions because they don't deem it to be a 'tac-for-toe'.

rx34

HSC
Hey tradingplaces, I dare say you are guaranteed a place if you apply for a transfer. I just finished my first year of commerce, got a GPA of 6.25 and WAM of 79.50. Both of my scores are much lower than yours but I managed to successfully transfer. Maintain your awesome marks and try at the end of this year. There are very high chances you will get in USyd and even higher chances at UNSW. Good luck.

tradingplaces

HSC
Thanks rx34.
Yeah I will be doing my very best to maintain the marks this year haha. I have a few friends transfering this year, so hopefully I'll be able to work out the credit transfer situation through them. They say it's determined on a case-by-case basis at enrollment only- do you think if I contacted USYD admissions later in the year they would give me an idea of what units will transfer over.

I'm really keen to study at USYD, but if it means I'll be a year behind or what not, i will definitely have to weigh up my options.

rx34

HSC
Does UNSW consider transfers on GPA alone after a certain amount of years too, or is it still 50/50 UAI/GPA?
Hey, I just read the UNSW page. It seems UNSW only allows a maximum of one year studies to transfer, so I don't think that's an option. Usually it's 50/50 ATAR/GPA.

One would have higher chances transferring at UNSW than USyd because UNSW seems more 'compassionate'. For HSC school leavers, they tend to give heaps of bonus points. Reading the UNSW thread, lots of people get in below the cut-off. I read somewhere in the law thread, a kid got 92 atar with EAS and managed to get in full fee law. USyd is slightly more rigid, though USyd might work in your favour in you are of aboriginal decent.

tradingplaces

HSC
Oh ok. Does that mean 1 year of studies all up, or one year of law studies? Because I will have only completed the equivalent of 1 years worth of law studies by the end of this year.

USYD will definitely be my first preference, but I was just interested in UNSW's policy. If it is still 50/50 ATAR GPA, i wont get in anyway though.

rx34

HSC
Oh ok. Does that mean 1 year of studies all up, or one year of law studies? Because I will have only completed the equivalent of 1 years worth of law studies by the end of this year.

USYD will definitely be my first preference, but I was just interested in UNSW's policy. If it is still 50/50 ATAR GPA, i wont get in anyway though.
It would be 1 year studies all up, regardless of whether it is law studies or combined.

whoisurdaddy

HSC
Is it still possible to transfer from commerce to combined law after first years?

whoisurdaddy

HSC
yes, assuming your GPA/GPA and ATAR are sufficient.
Im a little confused,

From UNSW transfers page:

To be eligible for a transfer place applicants must have completed no more than one year of full-time tertiary study (or part-time equivalent).

tradingplaces

HSC
Im a little confused,

To be eligible for a transfer place applicants must have completed no more than one year of full-time tertiary study (or part-time equivalent).
Maybe I misread your post- and I'm really not 100% sure, but from what i have read and the advice I have been given, UNSW will accept transfers after 1 year of study only. So that is for any degree if you are looking to transfer into law.

USYD seems happy to accept transfers after first year provided tertiary grades are adequate, however will only provide credit for up to 1 year worth of full time study. Credit will be determined on a case-by-case basis.

rx34

HSC
Im a little confused,

Yep UNSW accepts only max 1 year of studies (any studies, not necessarily law). Whereas USYD is more flexible and will accept even 2nd and 3rd years.

I'm trying to get credit exemption for my first year of commerce at USYD, they take forever to process it and reply to an email.

rx34

HSC
Wow tradingplaces, you really must be a whiz at law to get a GPA of 6.75. So you received a HD for almost every law and commerce subject?

tradingplaces

HSC
Wow tradingplaces, you really must be a whiz at law to get a GPA of 6.75. So you received a HD for almost every law and commerce subject?
Haha, yeah I try hard, At present I have 12 High Distinctions and 4 Distinctions (between both law and commerce). Just need to try and keep a similar average for this year, so that I can transfer at the end. You've just transferred/started usyd law haven't u? I'd be interested to know your thoughts on the course etc.!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)