Transfer to USYD Law Chances? (1 Viewer)

hsclover

HSC
N/A
Hey all!

Just posting on behalf of a friend who is incredibly nervous about her transfer application. She received an ATAR of 99.60 last year but her GPA is currently around the 3.17 mark (doing Law at another Uni). USYD assesses based on half GPA/half ATAR so would she have a chance of securing a place?

What would her chances realistically be of transferring into USYD Arts/Law?

Thanks in advance!

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
To be competitive, it's apparently around 96/97+ ATAR and a D GPA (which is 3.5 on a 4 point scale).

Your friend definitely has a realistic chance due to a 99.60 ATAR, but her current GPA (which is a credit) should be improved if she wants to further increase her chances.

If she can get a 3.5~ GPA by the end of the year, she has a really really good shot.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
To be competitive, it's apparently around 96/97+ ATAR and a D GPA (which is 3.5 on a 4 point scale).

Your friend definitely has a realistic chance due to a 99.60 ATAR, but her current GPA (which is a credit) should be improved if she wants to further increase her chances.

If she can get a 3.5~ GPA by the end of the year, she has a really really good shot.
This ^^

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
She will probably make the cut - a lot of my friends transferred into USYD/UNSW Law with lower marks than that.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Crobat may be right since his friends would be a more recent cohort but...

Dug this up and it may give your friend some perspective:

http://community.boredofstudies.org/330/transfers/253865/roll-call-those-trying-transfer-usyd-unsw-law-year.html

Main points from 2011

- On the thread, 2 people with a GPA of 6.125 (which is a D on 7 point scale) and ATAR of 98.3-98.5 did not get offers from USYD/UNSW combined law. Shows how competitive it is for external transfers for either UNSW or USYD.

- People who got into USYD combined law from that thread had:
--> 99.15 ATAR and a 6.0 GPA on 7 point scale (a D)
--> 99.05 ATAR and a 3.8 GPA on 4 point scale (a D in the higher range)

Main points from 2012

- Someone got an offer (for either USYD or UNSW combined law) with a 98 ATAR and 6.0 GPA surprisingly (if you compared with 2011).
- Someone got into USYD combined law with a 99+ ATAR and 6+ GPA (7 point scale) but did not get their FIRST preference of UNSW combined law. This may mean that USYD is not ''discriminatory'' against external transfers as UNSW.
- Someone got into USYD combined law with a 99.15 ATAR and 6.75 GPA (7 point scale).

kwu1 got an external transfer offer from USYD in 2014 with an ATAR of 99.00 and GPA of 3.77 (4 point scale) iirc - so that's a more recent standard.

In summary,

like previously mentioned, since your friend's ATAR is 99.60 - she can afford for her GPA to be a bit lower (at least for USYD combined law).

A 3.5 GPA would basically guarantee her spot, and a 3.3-3.4 GPA at the least would be optimal. Anything lower means she might be leaving this to chance.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
My friend from UWS had a 92.3 atar and 6.0 GPA got an offer for USYD last year but not UNSW

Buddy with 98 and ~3.25 GPA from UTS got offers for both

This was last year

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
My friend from UWS had a 92.3 atar and 6.0 GPA got an offer for USYD last year but not UNSW

Buddy with 98 and ~3.25 GPA from UTS got offers for both

This was last year
I guess it really fluctuates from year to year - especially for UNSW because they are apparently stingy with the amount of spots for external transfers (at least compared to USYD).

According to more recent thread (http://community.boredofstudies.org/330/transfers/297952/roll-call-those-trying-transfer-into-usyd-unsw-law-year-2013-a.html) - someone with a GPA of 6.0 and ATAR of 98.2 got an offer from USYD combined law so I guess you could argue that the external transfer standards for USYD have lowered since 2011.

Thing to note is that I think Crobat's ''former UWS student'' friend had their GPA count 100% instead of the 50%/50% ATAR/GPA split.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
I guess it really fluctuates from year to year - especially for UNSW because they are apparently stingy with the amount of spots for external transfers (at least compared to USYD).

According to more recent thread (http://community.boredofstudies.org/330/transfers/297952/roll-call-those-trying-transfer-into-usyd-unsw-law-year-2013-a.html) - someone with a GPA of 6.0 and ATAR of 98.2 got an offer from USYD combined law so I guess you could argue that the external transfer standards for USYD have lowered since 2011.

Thing to note is that I think Crobat's ''former UWS student'' friend had their GPA count 100% instead of the 50%/50% ATAR/GPA split.
Of course it does, I was just contributing some tangible numbers from most recent year

Are you transferring?

jaydizzlegear

HSC
it's 50/50 atar/gpa or 100 gpa, depending on which is higher this year for USYD, so you can get a low atar but still have a good chance of getting into usyd.
Im sitting on a 5.73 gpa right now, but im hoping to move that up to a 6 or more, results come out soon.
I also put in special consideration for admission for both institutions, could anyone tell me how this assisted them to get in?
thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)