transfer (1 Viewer)

friend177

HSC
since i didn't get the cut for UNSW 96.70 for commerce/engineering, should i do business/engineering in UTS then transfer second semester? and is it easy to transfer to UNSW with marks and stuff from UTS?
got early offer with ANU and UTS. the engineering is software btw. assuming the ATAR cut off for UNSW is roughly the same.

broncos123

HSC
N/A
sorry to do this but no ones replied to my thread
can anyone help me out?
I've wanted to do law for a while now and I didn't receive the required ATAR (87.2). However, I am able to get into UWS Law however this is something I really don't want to do. I'm waiting for early offers from UTS on the 4th of January for the Principal's Recommendation Scheme which might allow me entry into UTS Business/Law, however, if I don't get accepted, is it more advisable to attend UWS and do a combined degree, or attend Mac U or UTS and attempt to internally transfer? I'm also thinking of externally transferring out of UWS after my first year if possible. Thanks.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
internally transfer to what in macquarie or uts?

broncos123

HSC
N/A
Business/Law at UTS or Commerce/Law at Mac U. I don't want to stay at UWS lol. (external transfer)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Go and look up procedures for external transfer. I'd wager they are more difficult than internal transfers which just require high grades and whatnot.

broncos123

HSC
N/A
Yeah im thinking the same, but I don't want to try to transfer internally because if I can't, I'd be stuck in the course for another year..

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Yeah im thinking the same, but I don't want to try to transfer internally because if I can't, I'd be stuck in the course for another year..
Well, another semester. What I'd suggest is just getting into UTS or Macquarie, and try to internally transfer by getting good marks.

External transfers have a lot more red tape.

broncos123

HSC
N/A
That's what I'm thinking, but I'm worried I might not be able to transfer, thus wasting my time... I guess Jan 4th will make my decision either much harder or easier. Fingers crossed.

D94

HSC
N/A
I would but yeah should I accept the early offer from UTs and transfer the following year? Or the ANu one AMD stuff
Do you need it to be first preference? If not, then (if it was me) accept the UTS offer (ie. guarantee uni offer) and put UNSW course first so if you do get the UNSW offer, you can tell UTS that you don't want it any more. There's no guarantee with UNSW, so I wouldn't risk losing an offer which you already have. And almost two ATAR points below with HSC Plus is still risky, so I reckon there's more chance of not getting it than getting it. But you should probably get a second or third opinion though.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Do you need it to be first preference? If not, then (if it was me) accept the UTS offer (ie. guarantee uni offer) and put UNSW course first so if you do get the UNSW offer, you can tell UTS that you don't want it any more. There's no guarantee with UNSW, so I wouldn't risk losing an offer which you already have. And almost two ATAR points below with HSC Plus is still risky, so I reckon there's more chance of not getting it than getting it. But you should probably get a second or third opinion though.
That. You accept the offer now and then jump out if you must. It's what I did.

I got accepted into Adv Maths @ UNSW in Main Round, changed preferences - then in the second round got into Comm/Maths @ UNSW, accepted that offer.

izzy88

HSC
sorry to do this but no ones replied to my thread
can anyone help me out?
I've wanted to do law for a while now and I didn't receive the required ATAR (87.2). However, I am able to get into UWS Law however this is something I really don't want to do. I'm waiting for early offers from UTS on the 4th of January for the Principal's Recommendation Scheme which might allow me entry into UTS Business/Law, however, if I don't get accepted, is it more advisable to attend UWS and do a combined degree, or attend Mac U or UTS and attempt to internally transfer? I'm also thinking of externally transferring out of UWS after my first year if possible. Thanks.
It depends on the university - and I don't know about the specifics of uts or mac transfers, but I know at usyd there is no distinction made between external and internal transfer to law - ie. everyone competes against each other equally whether they are at usyd or not. It is purely done on wam and atar combination. Ask macquarie and uts law faculties whether there is a preference given to internal transfers over external transfers.

If you really want to do law combined then go to uws, then attempt to transfer to mac or uts. That way, if you don't manage the transfer, you can still do law.

The other option is to go to mac or uts, and if you don't manage to transfer, to then apply for the jd postgrad. This is a 3 year degree - so by doing combined law/x all you do is save yourself 1 year - its not that much more to then to a grad jd.

I don't know about mac or uts law transfers (or the atar requirements for law for those uni's), however I know for usyd, where the cut-off is 99.7, to transfer into law you still need at least an atar of 97 as well as distinction average for first year of uni. So if you are significantly below the atar cut off for mac or uts law, you may have difficulty transfering across to law. My suggestion would be to talk to uts/mac law faculties and ask what you generally need to get atar/uni average wise to transfer. That way you can get an idea about the likelihood of success of transferring across.

friend177

HSC
Nah They said that if I were to accept their offer I have to put their preference first by January 2. So if I leave UNSW as first means I have to cancel their offer, for now. But is it hard to transfer and stuff

friend177

HSC
That. You accept the offer now and then jump out if you must. It's what I did.

I got accepted into Adv Maths @ UNSW in Main Round, changed preferences - then in the second round got into Comm/Maths @ UNSW, accepted that offer.
might try this

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)