Transferring from BPsych (1 Viewer)

miluiel

HSC
Hi!

For University this year I was offered a CSP place in the Bachelor of Psychology degree at UNSW, however I am quite certain that I don't ever want a career directly related to the field, and will most likely transfer out of the course at some stage.

I was wondering if it is difficult to achieve a 6.0-7.0 GPA in the course, because in order to maximise my options for other degrees to transfer into (combined with a 96.4 UAI from last year), I'd need quite a high NRSL. I know it's all about hard work, applying myself, etc, but from what I've heard courses like MedSci are quite hard to maintain Distinction averages in, and wanted to know if the Psych course was any easier. I don't think I'll have too much trouble with the course - always been interested in Psych/Neurology and have been reading my dad's textbooks on it since I was little! - so I'm confident I could maintain a Credit average at LEAST, but don't know the approximate percentage of people who do achieve Dist/HDist averages in such a field.

Also, if anyone knows what kind of NRSL is needed for transferring into either Med or Vet Science (not really for specific Universities, just on average) after completion of one year of a full-time degree, that'd be super-helpful too. :)

Thanks so much.

-Laura.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
miluiel said:
Hi!

For University this year I was offered a CSP place in the Bachelor of Psychology degree at UNSW, however I am quite certain that I don't ever want a career directly related to the field, and will most likely transfer out of the course at some stage.

I was wondering if it is difficult to achieve a 6.0-7.0 GPA in the course, because in order to maximise my options for other degrees to transfer into (combined with a 96.4 UAI from last year), I'd need quite a high NRSL. I know it's all about hard work, applying myself, etc, but from what I've heard courses like MedSci are quite hard to maintain Distinction averages in, and wanted to know if the Psych course was any easier. I don't think I'll have too much trouble with the course - always been interested in Psych/Neurology and have been reading my dad's textbooks on it since I was little! - so I'm confident I could maintain a Credit average at LEAST, but don't know the approximate percentage of people who do achieve Dist/HDist averages in such a field.

Also, if anyone knows what kind of NRSL is needed for transferring into either Med or Vet Science (not really for specific Universities, just on average) after completion of one year of a full-time degree, that'd be super-helpful too. :)

Thanks so much.

-Laura.
I think it would be very difficult to maintain D-HD's at UNSW because of the competition. UNSW likes to have only <5% get HD, <10% D, 25-30% C, 60-65% Pass, i can't remember but most subjects will have marks aligned to that sort of range.

For med you need to sit UMAT aswell, you will be looking at a minimum of 5.5 with an outstanding umat score, threshold of 5.5 for UNCLE + UMAT, UNSW uses the combined 50/50 split with your uai. UWS threshold 5.5 and UAI of 95 for non-GWS + UMAT.

Vet science at Usyd:
USYD said:
Non recent school leavers are considered for selection on the basis of their:
Grade Point Average obtained in previous university degree level study;
the Special Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT); and
a 'Commitment Statement' outlining their commitment to Veterinary Science.
It's simillar at CSU but you need to fill out a comprehensive application and attend an interview.

Last edited:

miluiel

HSC
Thank you, Wooz, that's really helpful. :)

Would undertaking the BPsych degree at Macquarie be better then, since (I'm assuming) the competitiveness isn't as intense? But is the UNSW degree then held with higher regard - and would it make a difference which University I was doing the degree at if I intended to transfer into another Uni (to do a degree other than Psych)? Or is a GPA a GPA regardless of my competition in the course?

I'm deferring, so I have time to work all this out, fortunately...

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
A GPA is a GPA regardless of which uni you are transferring from.

If you decide to transfer out from BPsyc (UNSW) after 1 year to another degree at UNSW, there is no specific GPA requirement (Assuming you are not failing) if the degree you wish to transfer into has a lower UAI cut-off than BPsyc.

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
I disagree with Wooz.

I would argue that is is very easy to get a D+ in first year psych. The reason being that there are a horde of students doing 1st year psych, many of whom were not smart enough to get straight into B Psych, and many of whom dont care about getting a D+.

Let me put it this way ... only about 60 people get into B. Psych a year, but about 1000 people take 1st year psych ... You shold easily be in the top 10-15% of that number (i.e. getting D+).

Ac

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Lord Ac said:
I disagree with Wooz.

I would argue that is is very easy to get a D+ in first year psych. The reason being that there are a horde of students doing 1st year psych, many of whom were not smart enough to get straight into B Psych, and many of whom dont care about getting a D+.

Let me put it this way ... only about 60 people get into B. Psych a year, but about 1000 people take 1st year psych ... You shold easily be in the top 10-15% of that number (i.e. getting D+).

Ac
Hmm, didn't know that many people took junior psych units UNSW.

fionang8191

HSC
N/A
so only about 60 people get in the Bpsych at UNSW?? is this true?? i would have thought that there would be more!:confused:

tofuboy

HSC
yer im in bpsych atm. not that it matters anymore, but maintaining avg cred isnt that hard. if u manage to get into the course, you wouldnt have much of a problem staying it in. i think they once showed the stats for ppl dropping out or not making it to honours. i think it was only like 5 ppl that either dropped out or just lost interest...

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
5 people dropping out or lost interest from the BPsych program is surprisingly high! Considering there are only 50-60 of you to begin with.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)