Transferring from combined to single course (1 Viewer)

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
ATM I'm doing BSc/BA, and I wanted to know if I transferred to a BA, would I be considered a 1st year BA student or 2nd year.

Also, if I AM considered a 1st year BA student next year, would they count my units of Arts credits off my first year of study?
ie. I did 12 units of arts this year, 6 in S1 and 6 in S2. So would they take that off so I had to complete a minimum of 12 units per semester instead of 18?

Sorry if I don't make sense. I emailed the uni but I got more confused.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
You are 1st year now. You will be second year next year.

All art done so far can count. Electives will be taken as your science subjects.

Somone else (ie: Minai or sunny) can you confirm this?

MuSaRuRWa

actually, u will next yr be officially a first yr student again. but that really doesnt matter. ur arts subjects wwud count, and yes, the science would count too, depending on how many sciences u r doing now, and how many electives u have in a single arts degree.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Yes it doesn't really matter what 'year' you're in...though typically, if you've transferred to another program you would be considered a 'first year' again, even if its your second year at the university. Officially it makes no difference.

And yes, any subjects you've done so far can get counted.

Your school should (confirm) have procedures for you to get those UOC counted towards your new degree. Ask for something like application for advanced standing or application for exemption.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by sunny
Yes it doesn't really matter what 'year' you're in...though typically, if you've transferred to another program you would be considered a 'first year' again, even if its your second year at the university. Officially it makes no difference.

And yes, any subjects you've done so far can get counted.

Your school should (confirm) have procedures for you to get those UOC counted towards your new degree. Ask for something like application for advanced standing or application for exemption.
Thanks for the help everybody, I'll try to get some confirmation when I go to uni again. I'll post what I find out here, helpfully it'll help some other people too

sunny

meh.
HSC
Perhaps you can post up the reply the uni sent you if thats ok, we might understand what they're trying to say.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
To whom it may concern,

I am a first year undergraduate student studying a BSc/BA.

I was looking at majoring in Microbiology in the UNSW 2004 Handbook. Under 2nd year subject requirements, it said "MICR2201, MICR2011; Plus 6 units of credit from: BIOS2021 or BIOS2621, BIOC2201". Does that mean that I must definitely choose ONE from BIOS2021 or BIOS2621, OR from BIOC2201?

Also, if I wished to transfer into a BA or a BA(Advanced), would I be considered a first year BA student or a 2nd year? Would the units of Arts I have already completed this year be taken into consideration for the rest of the degree?

Thanking you in advance.
You do six units of credit from either BIOS2021 or BIOS2621 and you must do BIOC2201.

To transfer to Advanced Science you will have to apply through UAC.

All courses that are passed (if relevant to your degree) will be transferred.

If you have further queries please come into our office.
as you can see it was a pretty superficial reply.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Ahhh....I think they did actually answer your question. Sometimes they answer very vaguely with one sentence either because they don't really know or are just busy kinda people. But in this case I think this was a decent reply! (it gets worse)

All courses that are passed (if relevant to your degree) will be transferred.
That should answer your question. ie, any course that you have already done and passed will be counted after you transferred. Though I would still check whether there are any procedures for it. Don't count on them doing it automatically for you.

"MICR2201, MICR2011; Plus 6 units of credit from: BIOS2021 or BIOS2621, BIOC2201"
I think this one is more subtle :p
Note the position of the comma
"Plus 6 units of credit from: BIOS2021 or BIOS2621, BIOC2201"

I think that is implying that BIOC2201 is not part of the choices :p

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Yeah, but the thing is, for a combined course, there's all these rules about electives, majors and minors, schools and stuff. It's fairly complicated =/ You'd think transferring to a single course would make things easier!

Oh well. Hopefully all will be well when I can ask in person.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Yeah, but the thing is, for a combined course, there's all these rules about electives, majors and minors, schools and stuff. It's fairly complicated =/ You'd think transferring to a single course would make things easier!
Unfortunately that is the biggest turn off in doing a science degree....major this minor that and keeping an eye on your UOCs. I know people that chose not to do this because it was too complicated.

MuSaRuRWa

the whole point of coming to uni was to be free ... and now these restrictions. how annoying. :(

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
BD: What subjects are you doing this year? List them I can can deduce what will be credited for your single BA if you do infact transfer. Basically, all your Arts subj's will be creditied, and you will have to approach the faculty to get credit for some of your science units (up to the maximum amount of allowed electives from other faculties and such). This is because when you transfer, UNSW will send you a letter detailing what has been creditied, then you can appeal to the faculty explaining why such and such should also be creditied and they should do it (my friend did this).

I would also suggest not doing any science subjects next semester, instead doing all arts subjects in the hope that if you transfer, you wont be "behind" as much

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Semester 1:
BIOS1201 - biology
CHEM1011 - chemistry
MATH1031 - maths
JAPN1000 - japanese

Semester 2:
Either BIOS1101 or BIOS2021
CHEM1021
JAPN1000

The thing is, as a first year arts student, there's not a lot of arts subjects i can pick up 2nd semester, cos most of em have prerequisite subjects you have to do in 1st semester :S

I did a lot more sciences, because you need all these subs just to major in one area :( so i couldnt do as much arts as I wanted to do.

MuSaRuRWa

why dont u not go to uni for s2, muck around n come back s1 next yr ... i mean, u have th uai for arts anyways, not like ur uni marks r gonna matter. just sit at home browsing bos 24/7 :D just like i do now :p

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
An update

On Monday, I went to the Science Student Office, where I was informed that enquiries about transfer to Arts would be dealt with by the Arts faculty.

This led me to fire off another email:
Description: I am a 1st year undergrad student doing a BSc/BA. I would like to transfer to a BA next year, and was wondering
1/ would I be a 1st year BA student OR a 2nd year BA student (as I have obviously completed part of a BA this year)
2/ how many UoC would be transferred, and how many UoC I would have to complete next year.

Units studied in S1 2004: JAPN1000, CHEM1011, BIOS1201, MATH1031
Probable units to be studied in S2 2004: JAPN1001, BIOS2021, CHEM1021

Thank you
Which led to this reply:
You can download the Application for Internal Program Transfer form our website:
http://www.arts.unsw.edu.au/downloads/index.shtml
Please submit your application by this Friday 2nd July.

Most of your credits should be able to transfer to the BA program. The transfer credits will be determined after the official results for Session 1, 2004 is released.

You will need to complete several more courses in Level 1 and you may enrol in some Uppper Level courses as well, depending on the course availability and your major.

If you have any further queries, you can contact us again on 9385 2289.
Now, here is the form for the internal transfer: http://www.arts.unsw.edu.au/downloads/faculty/int_prog_xfer.pdf

I'm not so sure if I want to transfer to BA just yet. Would the internal transfer be based solely on UAI, or would it also be based on my S1 2004 marks?
Should I go for it or should I wait?

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by xingbi
BA = bugger all
STFU. you haven't posted one serious thing since you joined.

Well I called em, there are all these subjects I have to pick up but YES i can transfer to a BA. Not sure if I should though =/ I got 2 days to figure it out

gman03

HSC
Originally posted by babydoll_
STFU. you haven't posted one serious thing since you joined.

Well I called em, there are all these subjects I have to pick up but YES i can transfer to a BA. Not sure if I should though =/ I got 2 days to figure it out
Do you need to go thru UAC to complete the transfer or internal transfer still available?

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Internal transfer, since it's within the university... for now. They said it might change at the end of the year, what with the rush of newbies (=class of 04) etc, and the UAI might change.

xingbi

Banned
seriously unless u have aspirations of becomin a fluent multi-lingual and hope to marry some multi-millionaire in a far away country

i suggest u stick with tat science degree

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)