Transferring into Undergrad medicine at UWS/UNSW (1 Viewer)

Plack

HSC
Hey guys, I'm filling out my UAC form and was wondering which subjects you are supposed to do to transfer into UWS/UNSW med? From what I gather, for UWS, you need to pass a certain GPA threshold, UMAT, and interview to earn a spot. So does it matter which course you do?
Would certain science courses increase the likelihood?
Is it better to do the course at UWS if I wanted to then apply for UWS med?
Is the score required for UMAT higher if you do it this way?
Finally, how many of these spots are available / how likely is it to get this spot?

Some Vunt

Banned
HSC
Course doesn't matter.

If you do advanced science or advanced med science at UWS that lowers your score needed for transfer.
This is the same for UNSW and med science.

HSC
Course doesn't matter.

If you do advanced science or advanced med science at UWS that lowers your score needed for transfer.
This is the same for UNSW and med science.
lowers the score you need for an interview.

Solution

BoS Revolutionary
HSC
N/A
Would you guys think it is a good idea to choose Advanced science at UNSW?

HSC
if you like it, yeah?

if you don't, no

either way it won't help you to get into med school.

Plack

HSC
Wait but how many of these spots are available? There's really not much point if there's 5~ or so.

Some Vunt

Banned
HSC
lowers the score you need for an interview.
You know what I mean, bro.

Would you guys think it is a good idea to choose Advanced science at UNSW?
IMHO, no.

It's 4 years and you wanna get into med ASAP so do a short degree.

If you wanna do advanced science and not med science then go to USyd and do the 3 year degree and then if you don't get into med after the 3 then do honours and go for med the next year. If you go to UNSW you don't have that choice you HAVE to do honours.

Solution

BoS Revolutionary
HSC
N/A
if you like it, yeah?

if you don't, no

either way it won't help you to get into med school.
I definitely am interested in it. Although, I've heard medical science has poor rates of transfer into medicine. Y/N?

HSC
tbh no such thing as a med transfer. Transfer is moving from course to course with some standing, what you're doing is just applying. There's no real corelation, but in general, more med sci people are good students and tend to get in. The one at UNSW is the exception. But again, I would not rely on it

Solution

BoS Revolutionary
HSC
N/A
HSC

Solution

BoS Revolutionary
HSC
N/A
gl getting in with 96 but

I'd say 98.5 would be competitive range
Assuming I score in the 96s, what should I do?

I'm dead-set on trying to get into Medicine but with that ATAR it seems that my chances are grim even in university - the only actions I can really see are:
1. Trying anyway.
2. Repeating.
3. Searching for a university that only takes tertiary/course marks (not sure of this).

Shit.

HSC

I'm dead-set on trying to get into Medicine but with that ATAR it seems that my chances are grim even in university - the only actions I can really see are:
1. Trying anyway.
2. Repeating.
3. Searching for a university that only takes tertiary/course marks (not sure of this).

Shit.
1. duh, try UNCLE or UWS
2. no
3. most do, after 1 full year of uni. So you can apply next year and try again.

Some Vunt

Banned
HSC
So you believe I should do medical science, rather than advanced science?

And apparently you require at LEAST 96 ATAR to transfer into UNSW medicine according to:

http://www.med.unsw.edu.au/medweb.nsf/page/FAQ_local#BelowATAR

Did not know this :p.

Iirc vunt, you're at USyd aiming to transfer to med hmm?
UNSW - medsc

USyd - adv sc or medsc

UWS - adv sc or adv medsc

Yeah, because 96 is the absolute lowest they take for interview (you need 100th percentile umat and need to be THE BEST interview they have to get in though) for standard entrants.

I'm at USyd doing MedSc/BE because if I don't get into med next year or year after I want a back up. Then I'll go for postgrad. Maybe after engineering work for a few years.

1. Trying anyway.
2. Repeating.

Shit.
1. may as well try
2. NEVA
3. They all take tertiary marks into account if you are attempting to get in after starting a course. Gosh. (Except for the ones that don't take non-school leavers e.g. Monash).

Just do post grad.

1. duh, try UNCLE or UWS
2. no
3. most do, after 1 full year of uni. So you can apply next year and try again.
1. UWS is only REALLY easy to get into if you live in GWS (still easier than UNSW if you don't live in GWS).

Solution

BoS Revolutionary
HSC
N/A
I'm at USyd doing MedSc/BE because if I don't get into med next year or year after I want a back up. Then I'll go for postgrad. Maybe after engineering work for a few years.

1. may as well try
2. NEVA
3. They all take tertiary marks into account if you are attempting to get in after starting a course. Gosh. (Except for the ones that don't take non-school leavers e.g. Monash).

Just do post grad.
I was more so referring to UNSW where they consider both the ATAR and your course marks.

Thank you both for your advice.

HSC
yeah rippy knows more aboot this than I do

uws is a bit of a bitch cause of that 0.5 weighting.

daniellesharp26

HSC
Wait but how many of these spots are available? There's really not much point if there's 5~ or so.
UWS offers 6 places for both Advanced Science and Advanced Medical Science, not six places per course. I am also trying to get into medicine but if I don't get an offer then I'm studying nursing at Sydney first and then probably applying for postgraduate there

HSC
You know Sydney Uni, If you do the full Med Sci course is it easy to get straight into medicine? Just saw something on their website but I'm not clearly understanding it..

"The BMedSc is an obvious choice if you wish to undertake the University of Sydney’s graduate medical and dentistry programs, available after completion of your undergraduate course"

You click on it and it redirects you to post grad medicine site? Is this like another way to get in but +3 yrs?

HSC
Actually, the MBBS of uni of sydney is available after completion of ANY bachelor degree (not just science).

But you have to sit the GAMSAT exam (regardless if u do B Med Sci @ USYD or not).

SUMMARY: It is not really "another" way.
Hmm.. I see. How is Med Science @ UNSW anyways? Interesting and are you trying to get into medicine at the completion of your degree? How hard is it to get into it after you complete your degree (Obviously you have to sit GAMSAT and interview and I know that's hard)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)