Transferring to UTS business (1 Viewer)

Lolieee

HSC
hey guys. So i go to notre dame and im seriously hating this university and I didn't end up enjoying my course (secondary teaching) so i would like to transfer to UTS business. I would like to start second semester. UAC told me that since i'm transferring in 2nd sem they will take my ATAR into consideration not my uni marks (i finished high last year with an atar of 73.10). I'm gonna receive 2 offers in May, 2 in June and 2 in July. I really don't think i'm going to get an offer because the cut off is around 90, and since my EAS form is considered eligible i get 10 bonus points from UTS (so my atar will be 83.10). Does anyone know if i may have a sliiight chance of receiving an offer?

Or does anyone know a friend who got into a UTS course when their ATAR was lower than the cut off by 5+ points? Cheers guys.

Bongos

HSC
It is highly unlikely you'll get in. You should be able to get into UWS or Macquarie.

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
Try for BBus/BscIT. It's a double but the ATAR cutoff is lower and you can drop the IT component part ways into your degree

BBus cutoff is 90
BBus/BscIT is ~85

Seems like better odds to me

Lolieee

HSC
Try for BBus/BscIT. It's a double but the ATAR cutoff is lower and you can drop the IT component part ways into your degree

BBus cutoff is 90
BBus/BscIT is ~85

I was thinking of doing that too but sadly i cant apply for double degrees.. Well there are double engineering and science degrees available but no double business degrees. Which is sad :/

goobypls

HSC

BBus cutoff is 90
BBus/BscIT is ~85

AFAIK this course is full, I got 85 and didn't get in but I got into IT.

Lolieee

HSC
AFAIK this course is full, I got 85 and didn't get in but I got into IT.
Hm i read that UTS reserves 10% of their spots for EAS applicants, i wonder if EAS applicants have to meet the ATAR requirements for that course too?

Bongos

HSC
I know a EAS application who was rejected with 89.2 during the main round offer. Look, put it as first preference because you never know but honestly it is highly unlikely so don't get too confident. Have you looked at their communications courses? or even look at other universities. Business is generally okay all around and you can always transfer out

Lolieee

HSC
I know a EAS application who was rejected with 89.2 during the main round offer. Look, put it as first preference because you never know but honestly it is highly unlikely so don't get too confident. Have you looked at their communications courses? or even look at other universities. Business is generally okay all around and you can always transfer out
Woow that really sucks! I feel sorry for that person :/ It's a really popular course so yeah, i wouldn't be surprised. I put bachelor of management as second pref and I meet the atar requirement for that.. I guess i might just have to stick with management, get good marks and then transfer to business next year..

Does anyone have more scenarios? Please comment!

Bongos

HSC
Hey. I was wondering if you got in ? If not, have you figured out what you'll do ?

Lolieee

HSC
Hey. I was wondering if you got in ? If not, have you figured out what you'll do ?
I didn't get an offer (offers were out May 6th). I have 6 more rounds (or chances) to get a UTS business offer. However i was offered Bachelor of Management at UTS, if I don't receive an offer for Business by the end of July then i guess i might just accept the Management course and transfer next year.

Does anyone know if i need to get a credit average in both semesters 1 and 2 to transfer next year? Or do i need a credit average in semester 2 only?

Bongos

HSC
Both semesters. UTS doesn't take into account half a semester to transfer. You need a minimum credit average, but it may be higher TBH. You see, I started with UTS Business in semester 1 but I changed to Communication semester 2. I got out, while your trying to get in haha

Look, I'd go call student centre and be certain, also you may be at uni for 4 years because of the transfer and if you can gain credit recognition it would be shorter than 4

If you dont do too well in management in second semester I would consider just changing uni's next year tbh. You do some hard subjects if I recall, like MPO and stuff which have a notoriously high fail rate.

Do you have an idea on what you'll be majoring in ?

Lolieee

HSC
I was wondering how you transferred to communication in semester 2 if it says on your profile that you did your HSC in 2014? Also, what made you decide to change out of business?

In business i might major in HR, or accounting, if i enjoy it. Management.. i haven't looked at the majors, i received the offer, but i just havent looked into the course yet. I'll leave it there for now

Bongos

HSC
I probably used the wrong vocabulary. I went through UAC. I was accepted but according to Student Centre they wanted to take a look at my marks, which is why I received my offer May 6th even though had me on the system from April, I called because I couldn't understand why I was rejected with an ATAR in the 90's and this was their reasoning.if you have an offer for the next round it should be on the system so maybe you could call ?. You don't have to worry about your Notre Dame marks though because they only take marks from one semester into account if you change courses internally.

I changed because I found I preferred creative marketing. I originally chose Business because I felt it would be safer because a business degree is useful for several industries but I found whilst I enjoyed learning economics, accounting etc I don't think I would want to work in those fields just marketing. I want to get into the field of advertising so I decided to change to Public Communication because it is a highly regarded advertising/PR degree, one of the best in Australia. I also changed because I planned to major in Marketing Communication ( which would have got me into advertising) but I just didn't like the way it's structured and I felt it didn't teach me necessary skills.

Is there a reason why Macquarie or UWS isn't being considered?

Lolieee

HSC
I probably used the wrong vocabulary. I went through UAC. I was accepted but according to Student Centre they wanted to take a look at my marks, which is why I received my offer May 6th even though had me on the system from April, I called because I couldn't understand why I was rejected with an ATAR in the 90's and this was their reasoning.if you have an offer for the next round it should be on the system so maybe you could call ?. You don't have to worry about your Notre Dame marks though because they only take marks from one semester into account if you change courses internally.

I changed because I found I preferred creative marketing. I originally chose Business because I felt it would be safer because a business degree is useful for several industries but I found whilst I enjoyed learning economics, accounting etc I don't think I would want to work in those fields just marketing. I want to get into the field of advertising so I decided to change to Public Communication because it is a highly regarded advertising/PR degree, one of the best in Australia. I also changed because I planned to major in Marketing Communication ( which would have got me into advertising) but I just didn't like the way it's structured and I felt it didn't teach me necessary skills.

Is there a reason why Macquarie or UWS isn't being considered?
Ahh i see, so you're all good now and you have your course now right? :D Congrats on a high atar btw!

That seems reasonable, i agree with you there. It's kinda pointless to complete the compulsory subjects like stats and eco when all you want to major is marketing and not all that crap.

Macq is waay too far from me, about 2.5 hours away. Apparently UWS don't offer a business degree on its own, you gotta do it with commerce. I'm sick of living in the west though and i'm hardly allowed to go out and i've been so attached to the city lately. I've also dreamt of going UTS since year 9 so i really wanna graduate there :p
Thanks for your help btw, i appreciate it!

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
It's not a combined course at UWS, they just cant decide what to name it I guess or want people to think it covers more

Business is a Commerce equivalent at UTS, (most of) the technology network and younger unis have shifted to calling it business rather than commerce.

Bongos

HSC
You have to do more core units at UTS than other from what I was told. It actually is quite beneficial to learn about different sectors in business because it opens more doors career wise.You've made a mistake business is the same thing as commerce. I'll be honest it seems that you haven't done much research on what business/commerce is e.g. what you'll study, career prospects and such. Do some more research before you decide because you don't want to waste more time and money.

Also I get the west thing cos I'm one too hahaha.

Lolieee

HSC
You have to do more core units at UTS than other from what I was told. It actually is quite beneficial to learn about different sectors in business because it opens more doors career wise.You've made a mistake business is the same thing as commerce. I'll be honest it seems that you haven't done much research on what business/commerce is e.g. what you'll study, career prospects and such. Do some more research before you decide because you don't want to waste more time and money.

Also I get the west thing cos I'm one too hahaha.
Hey, i just remembered about this post. On the UTS website it says that in order to transfer internally I need to complete 48 credit points. One semester = 24 credit points. Is it alright if I ask you where you read that only one semester will be taken into account to transfer internally?

Danoraptor

HSC
Uni Grad
its seriously annoying. it says you need to complete 48 credit points to transfer on the website. However, i called UTS admissions and they said if you do less than 48cp they will still consider you, but solely on your atar. I called again to make sure this was true, a second admissions person confirmed it. I have this looming fear that i will apply through UAC and get an offer, then they will take the offer away from me at a later date because i did less than 1 year at the uni im currently at. i dont know if i should believe the website or the admissions hotline. so annoying.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I have this looming fear that i will apply through UAC and get an offer, then they will take the offer away from me at a later date because i did less than 1 year at the uni im currently at. i dont know if i should believe the website or the admissions hotline. so annoying.
It's extremely unlikely that something like that would happen.

By the way, internal transfers at UTS are typically just between the faculty - and sometimes even more strict than that. i.e. the Engineering and IT faculty are considered separate despite having merged.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)