• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Transition to selective (1 Viewer)

nandayo

ismist
HSC
Hey, I'm in the same situation. 1st in almost all my subjects, and considering whether moving to a selective school is the best thing to do. I've decided not to, based on (what I said earlier) about moderation, and how if you come first in all your assessments you'll be given a great advantage. Not only that, but you can create your 'own' work ethic. If you push yourself, there's no real need to change. I've managed to keep myself on my toes by docking some money from my pay if marks are <90 (quite the sadist)

I think one of the most important things in this situation you're in is to think ahead and try see what career/uni degree you want to do. If you want a specific career, find the corresponding degree and entry UAI, and likewise with a degree, find the career you'd like to have. If the UAI's are <98.90, I wouldn't think there's any reason to move. If it's say Medicine at USyd 99.XX, there's still no reason to move (look at the thread I posted in the tertiary board)http://community.boredofstudies.org/586/general-university-discussion/115055/med-students-uai-99-7-still-hope.html

But do whatever you feel comfortable with, but do it with care. The next two years are pretty damn important (some would argue that they mean nothing). But if you're really set on going to uni, just work hard, and the rest will work it self out. If you think going to a selective school is 'really' going to help that, by all means move. But be careful, because it's not something that'll be easily reversible.

All the best

drynxz

I..solated..ated..ated
HSC
It depends on the person you are and what school your planning to change into. Some people can adapt to theif environment fairly quickly, while others take a long time. If you are seeking for a more competitive atmosphere and you are comfortable in changing schools, then change just like i did. It might feel alkward not being "up there" in terms of academics, but i guess its a good thing as it relieves some pressure on you when your doing HSC by peers and family.

Dyne

HSC
Well, I'm currently in Year 10, and go to a small, off the radar school :p and well, dominate most of my subjects. I've been pressured by some to go instead to a selective school, but honestly, I'm happy where I am - I have solid teachers, am involved in a buncha extracurricular activities and get more accreditation - whereas I wouldn't be "up there" so much in a selective school. My older sister was very similar to me - she did great, got where she wanted. And I'm positive I can as well.

Good luck with whatever you choose, though, mate.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
I've been going to Hornsby Girls ever since Year 7. I would recommend transfering to a selective school to anyone as it has by far more advantages than disadvantages, but I do think people who are thinking of transfering need to be aware of some things.

If you're thinking of transfering, you're obviously bright. Most people who want to transfer would be at the top of their classes. However, going to a selective school is a big smack in the face. Trust me, I went all through primary school getting full marks and nothing but praise from my teachers. You have to be aware that at a selective school, where there are 120 academically-excelling students, you're not necessarily going to be at the top. You're not going to receive the attention and praise you received at your other school, where your academic acheivements made you stand head and shoulders above the rest of your grade. I know in Year 7 I became really upset with school. It sucks getting a 74 when you're used to a 98. But this phase you'll most likely get over. Just try not to think negative thoughts and concentrate on your own studies, and not what everyone else around you is getting - you should be fine. :)

misbahf

You eat bugs.
HSC
What about partially selective schools? Are they really worth going to?

misbahf

You eat bugs.
HSC
I've applied for a partially selective school because it is the only one that does not take more than 1 hour and a half to get to. (Tempe HIgh School) and i don;t knwo if its better to stay at my original school or transfer.

Black Hawker

HSC
Jachie said:
I've been going to Hornsby Girls ever since Year 7. I would recommend transfering to a selective school to anyone as it has by far more advantages than disadvantages, but I do think people who are thinking of transfering need to be aware of some things.

If you're thinking of transfering, you're obviously bright. Most people who want to transfer would be at the top of their classes. However, going to a selective school is a big smack in the face. Trust me, I went all through primary school getting full marks and nothing but praise from my teachers. You have to be aware that at a selective school, where there are 120 academically-excelling students, you're not necessarily going to be at the top. You're not going to receive the attention and praise you received at your other school, where your academic acheivements made you stand head and shoulders above the rest of your grade. I know in Year 7 I became really upset with school. It sucks getting a 74 when you're used to a 98. But this phase you'll most likely get over. Just try not to think negative thoughts and concentrate on your own studies, and not what everyone else around you is getting - you should be fine. :)
Yeah, I transfer to Penrith Selective High last year (year 9). Used to get close to 100% in my old school, now I get around mid 70's to 80's. It is really discouraging to see that you went from top 3 in every sybject to not even in the top 10.

xlr8-crillz

HSC
Black Hawker said:
Yeah, I transfer to Penrith Selective High last year (year 9). Used to get close to 100% in my old school, now I get around mid 70's to 80's. It is really discouraging to see that you went from top 3 in every sybject to not even in the top 10.
this feeling takes at least 1-3 years to get over. VERY VERY DISCOURAGING.

Mark576

Feel good ...
HSC
The feeling mentioned above is exactly the reason i'm against moving to a selective school.

zdzislaw

Jack, much
HSC
It's true...settling in is ridiculous!
I went from a totally non-academic school to a selective and you have to be prepared to work seriously so hard.

Good luck!

zdzislaw

Jack, much
HSC
You said that "selective schools are ranked higher....and that may affect your UAI"..does that mean your UAI will be raised or brought down?
Thanks!

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Black Hawker said:
Zomg, I changed schools to Penrith last year but im in yr 11 this year.

If you dont study or catch up work when you come to a selective school your results will most likely drop to the 65-80's level.

Hey DH123 about 10 new applicants get into yr 11 prob more this year. It's not really hard to get in as long as your an all rounder. What were your last school report ranks/marks like?

Last edited:

PrettyVacant

HSC
Black Hawker said:
Hehehe, yeah. I used to be the smartest in my grade in year 4, then I went to OC class where it was basically a class of all the smartest year 4 people from all the surrounding schools. I did alright, I was still pretty much up there. Then I went to North Sydney Girls...where everyone (not just a class, but an entire grade) were the smartest in their schools. Needless to say, it certainly grazed our egos a little. Our school isn't the least bit competitive, contrary to popular belief. :) But it still sucks to be only getting around average, or basically, not getting top marks.

misbahf

You eat bugs.
HSC
Does anybody know anything about partially selective schools?... are they good?...are they bad? Is it worth moving to one? Anything???? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Black Hawker

HSC
DH123 said:
Is it hard to get into Penrith High? I applied
It's not hard - well it depends on you report and academic achievements etc. I was one of 4 people who made it in that year. I believe in Year 11 they let in more people, although I only know of one person in our year thats leaving at the end of this year.

kimberlin

HSC
hey im in the same school as drynxz - as i also got in as a reserve into the same school . umm, i guess the same advanatages and disadvantages but from personal experience the first term for me was pretty bad to adjust to due to missing old friends and not being taught the basics for example in chemistry and physics thus falling behind. now its term 3 ? its getting easier to adjust but just consider if u can handle a move so close to hsc . overall the environment is great as everyone is smart and you force yourself to study harder than ever .. hope this helped =]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)