Transport advice for UNSW (1 Viewer)

Beege

HSC
According to my timetable I will have to attend uni 4 days a week. Here's my timetable:

New Media Technologies

Lecture – 1-2pm Thursdays
Seminar – 3-4pm Thursdays
Lab – 4-5pm Thursdays

Introduction To Film

Lecture – 2-5:30pm Mondays
Tutorial – 9-10:30am Tuesdays

World History: The Big Picture

Lecture – 10-12pm Thursdays
Tutorials – 11-12pm Tuesdays

Music Fundamentals

Lecture – 2-4pm Wednesdays

I'm planning to drive mondays and wednesdays as I only have one thing on each day plus they will be in the afternoon so it will be harder to get public transportation. I also live in the sutherland shire area. Do you guys reckon I should get a travelpass or not? and do you guys think I should drive on those days or not? Well I wanna at least drive on the wednesday cauz I don't wanna cart my instrument around on public transportation.

Vylen

HSC
basic maths... its not worth getting a travelpass if you only plan on using a train to travel to uni on two days.. better off getting a normal train ticket and using a Travel 10 as you please for the busses..

but in regard to driving, you'll have to consider where you're gonna park... its pretty expensive to get parking in the on-campus parking lots... and as a result, there will be people who will most definitely park in the streets, and some of these have time limits (parking officers consider the area around UNSW to be a gold mine of sorts)...

i suggest you try any possible way of getting to uni and see whatever you find to be best for yourself... people like me can give suggestions but its really up to how you feel when you actually do it all

Beege

HSC
How much is 3 hour and 4 hour parking in a parking station?

barling89

McLovin it :D
HSC
hey Vylen, do you know where those Express UNSW buses depart from? I've been going to central and catching the Maroubra Jcn buses, but I know that there are prepaid express ones that are like 801 or somethin...how does the prepaid thing work btw?

i'm gonna be there 5 days a week if ur wonderin

Vylen

HSC
barling89 said:
hey Vylen, do you know where those Express UNSW buses depart from? I've been going to central and catching the Maroubra Jcn buses, but I know that there are prepaid express ones that are like 801 or somethin...how does the prepaid thing work btw?

i'm gonna be there 5 days a week if ur wonderin
bus 895 at central on Eddy Avenue... along the bus stands on the side of the road in front of central at the park.... there isnt a stand for it, but rather the places the bus stop are just after the last stand towards the overpass...

when uni starts up again you'll see a whole crap of people lining up in the mornings (at around 8:30 as people rush to classes) waiting for the buses, so you'll know what it is straight away...

as for the prepaid, its talking about either using a travel 10 or travelpass... as opposed to paying as you get on the bus... if you dont know, a travel 10 is a nice little thing you can buy at most news agents (like the one outside central) and you can use it up to 10 times to travel on buses as long as they're within the correct zone...

for travelling to and from unsw through central, a Brown (Concession) travel 10 is enough and costs just over $10...

gman03

HSC
Beege said:
Lecture – 2-5:30pm Mondays
Lecture – 2-4pm Wednesdays
mate, leaving between 4-6pm is a killer, you probably have to spend like 1/2 hr just to get to the city thorugh the traffic jams.

as to carrying instruments, well, see if you can leave them close to uni. no general locker facility on campus but yeah find a friend living near by.

Beege

HSC
Well does the UNSW express bus run after lunch time?

Vylen

HSC
it shouldnt... from what i can remember.... and even if it did, its rounds would be quite sparse (probably a bus every half hour) .... purpose of the express is for people with morning classes (which most people have)...

so you'd be better off catching a normal bus

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
I need to pay $22 a week just to get to uni and back :S
if i go uni 16 weeks in arow

= $352

2 semesters

= $704

Current Balance : $388

After 1st year : $ -316

im in trouble :S

Beege

HSC
ok guys thx for the advice! I think I've sorted my travel timetable out.

^emmie^

HSC
if i get the travel pass how do u use it on the bus like i went the other day and i dont get it like i seen ppl putting tickets into a green box outside (at bus station) and some on the bus in the green box i didnt have one when i went i just paid but i was just wondering for when i start

Vylen

HSC
when using the express bus at central, please dip the ticket into the green box outside... otherwise just dip the ticket into the green box on the bus...
purpose of the ones outside is to make sure people get onto the buses as quick as possible

^emmie^

HSC
Vylen said:
when using the express bus at central, please dip the ticket into the green box outside... otherwise just dip the ticket into the green box on the bus...
purpose of the ones outside is to make sure people get onto the buses as quick as possible

but how does the bus driver know u did it outside??

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
^emmie^ said:
but how does the bus driver know u did it outside??
There's people outside watching (in the mornings). And... they don't really care that much, they just want to get people on the bus and get the hell out of there. You'll understand on your first day.

They'll chuck an inspector on here and there, they are the people who care.

Vylen

HSC
yea... so fun to watch those people get pulled off the bus during those ever-so random inspections on the way to uni in the morning

gman03

HSC
uhawww said:
There's people outside watching (in the mornings). And... they don't really care that much,...
Nah, they do in the morning. A girl didn't dip her tickets and she got pulled out immediately... she forgot to dip in her travel ten...

Then one time I accidentally dip my travelpass twice, i got pulled... explained to him and got back in the sit. Funny enough i was walking to a sleep half asleep when I got pulled..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)