• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

trapezo rule (1 Viewer)

sakurali823

HSC
N/A
are there differences between stips,subintervals,function values, ordinates and trapezias??

Last edited:

Kabbasi

HSC
YES! That little mistake between them is the difference between a right and a wrong answer. FUNCTION VALUES ARE DIFFERENT from subintervals and stips and trapezias (don't know about ordinates but probably). Function values are the number of numbers that you use, whilst subintervals are the number of times that the rule is used(?). So this means that there is a discrepancy of one when you substitute it into n, and hence you're likely to muddle up your whole answer.

Someone will need to correct me on the definition of a subinterval, but function values ARE different... and that's all I have to say about that. Now I'm going to go and eat a box of chocolates.

williamc

HSC
Well if your talking about methods of approximation intergration using the trapazodal rule then yes.

williamc

HSC
dr baby beanie said:
^^ Thanks, that's what I though it was (about the ordinates being function values.) :)

Yer i think an oridnate is a function value. Eg 7 function values if 7 ordinates ( or 3 appliactions for simpsons). Although, i think 6 subintervals is 7 ordinates (for trapezodal)???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)